Palo Alto, CA 94306 Map · Phone number

About FauxCakes by Katie

My story:

This small, at home business began with me searching for my own dream wedding cake. After looking at many bakeries around the San Francisco Bay Area, I was just amazed at the cost of a traditional wedding cake . I decided that, having always been the baker for our family events and work functions, I could just make my own cake. Everyone thought I was crazy! After researching for ideas, I found something called a "Dummy Cake"' that was used by some high profile people for their events. I thought, "What a smart idea!" I could make my cake well in advance, and not have the stress of having to make it at the last minute so it would be fresh.

What is a faux cake?

You may ask yourself, "What is a faux, dummy, or fake cake?" It is something truly amazing! It is not only a much less expensive alternative to the traditional wedding cake, but it can be kept as a piece of art for as long as you wish. Cakes can become heavy and not very flavorful when you begin to decorate them. You have to use a dense cake to support the decorations so the cake will not sink into itself. Pastry chefs and cake decorators have been using faux cakes as displays for many years. They are usually made out of Styrofoam that is covered with fondant, and decorated as a real cake. They are used as a showpiece item where using a real cake would be impractical, as well as expensive.

Couples buy a faux display cake at a reasonable price for their reception and then purchase affordable and better tasting sheet cakes, which are cut and plated from behind the scenes and then served to your guests. You might wonder what happens when it's time to cut the wedding cake. Two slices of sheet cake will be placed nearby, hidden from view, while the couple pretends to cut the faux cake and pose for pictures. The couple can smoothly transition into feeding each other the slices of real cake without anyone what really knowing what happened. Another option would be to have the top tier made of real cake. The couple could just make a cut into the top tier for their pictures, and then freeze and save it for their first anniversary. After the cutting and pictures, the faux cake is taken away and the real cake slices are then served.

What can I do for you?

Since I am a small business, I can really personalize any cake I make for a client at a reasonable price. One option is keeping the cake simple and elegant, allowing for a beautiful backdrop to enhance a couple’s choice for trendy and stylish fresh floral accents that can be added on after the cake is made. I have learned that fresh flowers really add an elegant touch to a simple, yet sophisticated cake. Your florist can match your cake flowers to your other floral arrangements and décor. I love a challenge, and when clients send me pictures of a cake they dream of, I love to recreate it. This means being in constant contact with the client and emailing pictures while I'm decorating each layer, so you can see the progress of, and be able to make changes to, your perfect dream wedding cake.

Do I deliver?

Of course! Delivery is free within 25 miles of Palo Alto, with a nominal fee for deliveries anywhere further away. I can deliver the cake to you on the day of your wedding or even a few days before to add any final touches. This, and all other questions, concerns, or needs you may have, can all be discussed further when you contact me either by phone or email.

I would love to make your perfect faux dream wedding cake a reality!

Congratulations,

Katie Menches

650 630 3527

Katiemenches@gmail.com

or

etsy:

www.etsy.com/listing/224938860/make-to-order-custom-fake-dummy-wedding?ref=sr_gallery_42&ga_search_query=fake cakes&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

10669998101524240423915866109250331884285570n
10669998101524240423915866109250331884285570n
teal cake
purple cake

7 Reviews for FauxCakes by Katie

What an amazing cake designer! I love my cake and the service katie provides is impeccable!

Sent on 05/31/2015

Katie's communication was amazing! We got the cake of our dreams !

Sent on 05/12/2015

Thanks for all of your help when we couldn't decide on a cake. We love how it came out and will be sending business your way! Thanks

Sent on 05/31/2015

Award

FauxCakes by Katie FAQ

• What types of desserts do you provide? Cookies, Croquembouche, Cupcakes, Groom's Cake
  • What services do you provide? Consultations, Delivery