Alexandria, VA 22309 Map · Phone number

About Diana Marie Gibbs, Harpist

A broken arm led me to the harp.

Back when I was two years old, I was tinkering around on the family piano and fell off the piano bench. Blaming the piano for my cumbersome cast and itchy misery, I declared that the instrument was not for me. Instead, I gravitated towards the harp. My mother is a harpist, and there were harps "lying around" the house.

I began studying the harp at the age of five. As a former student of Jeanne Chalifoux, I am proud to be part of a distinctive lineage begun by the world-class harpist, composer, and teacher, Carlos Salzedo.

The Salzedo method of harp playing emphasizes the importance of musicality, technical proficiency, aesthetics, and performance. My participation for four summers in the Salzedo Summer Harp Colony in Camden, Maine under the instruction of the late Alice Chalifoux enhanced these hallmarks in my approach to the harp.

I was born in Washington, DC, and raised in Alexandria, Virginia,where I have performed for thousands of engagements since 1995.

In the recent past, I was the featured harpist for Macy's Cherry Blossom Celebration of Music Show, the GW Masonic Memorial's George Washington Birthday Gala, the Global Child Nutrition Foundation's "A Possible Dream" Gala, and the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities Cherry Blossom exhibition opening.

Well-versed in official event protocol, I have performed for a host of guests, including Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr., Clarice Smith, David Rubenstein, Christine Lagarde, Thurgood Marshall Jr., Members of Congress, ambassadors, and directors of cultural institutions.

I was honored to have set the stage for a 56th Presidential Inauguration celebration held in the National Archives' Rotunda for the Charters of Freedom. My music was also heard during the grand opening of the Archives' Treaty of Paris exhibit, as well as for art openings at the Embassy of Russia and the Meridian International Center. I was recently engaged for a series of events held at designerMax Mara stores in Tysons Galleria and Chevy Chase, and have shared the harp abroad, having performed for audiences in South Korea andWales.

My music speaks to a broad range of audiences, from young children and local brides to Warren Buffet, Melinda Gates, Barron Hilton, and other esteemed members of The Giving Pledge, for whom I was thrilled to perform. Cultivated during 28 years of dedication to the harp, my dynamic music library is in tune with the diverse interests of audiences. From Bach to Led Zeppelin, my repertoire is legitimately expansive.

I earned my Bachelor of Music in Harp Performance from the Peabody Conservatory of Johns Hopkins University, and my Master of Arts in Museum Studies, also from Johns Hopkins University.

In addition to my work as a harpist, I am an employee of the Library of Congress.

Follow Diana Marie Gibbs, Harpist on

elizabethfogarty 79
elizabethfogarty 76

62 Reviews for Diana Marie Gibbs, Harpist

Karrie · Married on 09/24/2016

Diana recently played at my wedding, and she was wonderful. She was always very quick to respond to emails. She helped me with my musical selection and reassured me that they were good choices. I received so many compliments on her performance. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to add a special touch to their ceremony!

Andrea · Married on 04/23/2016

Diana was great to work with (very responsive over e-mail, which was appreciated) and very kind and flexible. Of course the music was beautiful and we were glad to have her!

Chris · Married on 11/07/2015

Working with Diana was a wonderful experience from start to finish. We used her during the ceremony. Having her play the harp helped keep our wedding ceremony vibe light and airy. Not only is Diana a talented harpist, but she is also very responsive and flexible. Leading up to our wedding, I sent her two song requests by pop artists to play and she responded very quickly and was able to accommodate both our requests. I would recommend Diana to anyone looking for a harpist.

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

Diana Marie Gibbs, Harpist FAQ

• What is the starting price for wedding ceremony music? $ 425.00
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package? $ 550.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price of your most popular wedding package? Ceremony Music, Cocktail Hour Music, Learn New Songs, Travel Expenses
  • What ceremony music arrangements can you provide? Instrumental - Solo
  • How many musicians are in your band(s)? 1 - 3
  • What instruments does your group play? Harp
  • What services do you provide? Ceremony Music, Cocktail Hour Music, Learn New Songs, Reception Music, Rehearsal Dinner Music

• Jewish Heart and Soul—Rabbi-Cantor Annie Bornstein
    Jewish Heart and Soul—Rabbi-Cantor Annie Bornstein Wedding Officiants

Beautiful wedding music; mello and lovely and very professional.

• PBM Photography
    PBM Photography Wedding Photographers

I had the honor of being chosen to photograph Diana's own wedding in New Orleans, not even knowing she was a professional harpist. After meeting her, and now reading her reviews, credentials, and listening to the musical selections on her website, this lady is super talented!! Without question, one of the easiest and relaxed out of town brides I have had the pleasure of working with. If she is that laid back for her own wedding, imagine how wonderful she is to work with for yours!! Diana, your music is beautiful and I do hope to work with you again in that capacity. -Paul B. Mouton PBM Photography

• invited
    invited Wedding Planners

Diana is kind, punctual and an amazing harpist - all the qualities you need in a fabulous ceremony musician! Hands down, I would recommend her to any bride who is looking for the most beautiful music in the DC area. I can't wait to work with her on future events!

• Alexandria, VA 22309 See on map