Long Beach, CA 90804 Map · Phone number

About Deric Mendes Photo & Design

Hello!

My name is Deric Mendes. I'm a Los Angeles area photographer specializing in wedding, event, and fine-art portraiture. What sets me apart from many other wedding photographers is perhaps what I've learned with my background in international journalism and graphic design. The result is a unique ability to find and capture authentic moments with a distinct blend of documentary and editorial style.

With retired art professors for grandparents, and being raised in a vibrant artistically minded community in the Pacific Northwest, I was exposed to art history, graphic design and the study of composition at a young age. I went on to obtain a degree in political science with an emphasis foreign policy. From there I took my knowledge and love for photography to other parts of the world. Most notably, in 2013 I traveled to the Jordanian border of Syria to work as a freelance reporter and photographer. It's there, in the smoldering heat of the Za'atari refugee camp, I realized the transcending power and importance of a great photo. Since then, I carry a camera with me nearly everywhere I go.

For me, photography is about people. Witnessing genuine human moments, both tragic and heartwarming, left me with a desire to use my skills to preserve the most important moments of people's lives. I also learned that to really capture the moments that mean the most to people, it helps to learn a little about your subjects. That's why I offer to attend and photograph your rehearsal and rehearsal dinner -- free of charge. Not only do you get some bonus photos, It gives me a moment to learn who's who in the families and bridal parties, as well as a bit about the people who matter the most to you and your partner. Doing so frees me up to focus on the interactions and key moments of your special day.

As a supporter of marriage equality, I'm honored to photograph all couples -- no matter their sexuality, gender identity, ethnicity or religion.

Follow Deric Mendes Photo & Design on

tumblrncmngvscjf1skb4r5o51280
mne 13
mattelan

12 Reviews for Deric Mendes Photo & Design

Deric shot my wedding in November 2015 and I cannot sing his praises enough! He took the time to understand our vision and style, and he helped us put together a thorough shot list for the big day so we were all on the same page. I really love candid, captured moments in wedding photos, but was worried I wouldn't feel comfortable really being open and myself with a photographer right there. Deric made all those worries disappear--he was so easy to be with and he instantly made me feel comfortable. He was the perfect combination of falling into the background to capture everything, and then being right there when I needed him--whether that meant corralling my family or popping up with a plate of food when he noticed I hadn't eaten yet. He's a good person and an incredibly talented photographer--what else could you ask for? I highly recommend Deric!

Sent on 05/02/2016

Jessica · Married on 10/03/2015

Hiring a photographer for my wedding was a very daunting task for me. I'm a very low-key person and not very photogenic, I'm awkward and make funny faces that are not pretty or sexy. Having said that Deric Mendes made me look beautiful, he took some of the best photographs of me of my entire life. My backyard family wedding was beautiful but the pictures make it look like it was done by a professional team of wedding planners. In no way did I have to direct him to take certain pictures of the setting, the rings, the venue, he did all of that intuitively on his own. And he worked with my absolutely no timeline or giving specific direction which I'm grateful for because what I needed was a low-key low stress day and Deric didn't add any stress to my wedding he only relieved it. Now enough about him as a person and how amazing he is, THE PHOTOGRAPHS turned out so amazing I cried buckets, he got every amazing moment, I didn't even realize he was still there taking pictures at the end of the evening. My wedding was magical and Deric caught that on film I don't even know how to thank him for how much my photos mean to me. I couldn't recommend Deric more, I'm so glad that he photographed my wedding. If he ever needs a reference I am so absolutely there! And if I ever need a photographer again he is my first choice!!!

Sent on 12/15/2015

I can't imagine having anyone else with us on our special day. Great photos, great attitude, super calming presence. We love Deric!

Sent on 08/07/2015

Award

Deric Mendes Photo & Design FAQ

• What is the starting price for your wedding photography services? $ 2,750.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price? Add'l Hours, Custom Graphics, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Multi. Locations, One Event / Day, Slideshow, Toning, Digital Files
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package? $ 5,000.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price of your most popular wedding package? 2nd Shooter, Add'l Hours, Custom Graphics, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Multi. Locations, One Event / Day, Slideshow, Toning, Trash The Dress, Albums, Canvas, Digital Files, Flush Mount, Matted Prints, Prints, Proofs, Save the Date, Thank You Cards
  • What primary photographic style do you identify with? Contemporary, Natural, Photojournalism, Vintage
  • What photography services do you offer? Additional Hours, Boudoir Shoot, Custom Graphics, Destination / Travel, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Liability Insurance, Multi. Locations, One Event / Day, Second Shooter, Toning, Trash The Dress, Wedding Portraits

• Long Beach, 90804 See on map