Virginia Beach, VA 23453 Map · Phone number

About Coastal Calligraphy and Art Design Studio

My name is Malaine and I am the owner, calligrapher, designer and artist of Coastal Calligraphy and Design. I do all of the hand calligraphy and custom painting/designs on all of the items you see in my shop and specialize in mirror and glass signs. I can assist you with most anything for your wedding from the invitations to the ceremony. When you order items from me, I guarantee that every piece of the custom art work and calligraphy is done by me. All of the artwork on my items is 100% hand drawn or painted.

After 20+ years of working with clients in calligraphy and design, I have developed several styles of writing with my own creative flair. I follow the traditional methods of calligraphy, using only dip pens, nibs, waterproof and acrylic inks but I also follow wedding blogs and websites to stay up to date with the latest trends in everything wedding. One of the joys of doing this amazing job is when my clients bring a new and creative idea to the table that we work on together and they get to see it through from thought, design, and finally to completion. Custom creations are my passion! This isn't just a hobby for me, this is my career and I take it very seriously.

My work has been featured in The Knot Magazine, VOW Bride, Style Me Pretty, Wedding Chicks, Munaluchi Bridal Magazine and the "Say Yes to the Dress with Randy Fenoli" speaking events. My career has taken me through weddings in Europe, Paris, Australia, Island Destinations and all across the United States. I work on all spectrums of weddings, from the back yard-intimate ceremony to weddings at the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. Over the years, I have also designed and created custom pieces for many multi-national weddings.

I'd love to help you design and create to make your event "one of a kind!" Follow me on Pinterest for my latest works: www.pinterest.com/lovecalligraphy

Featured in these national publications:

Thanks for stopping by! I hope to hear from you soon. Happy Wedding Planning!
Malaine

img9399
weddingmirror
bigelow
Coastal Calligraphy and Art Design Studio
find your seat its time to eat
floral leaner mirror
programmirrorbooth
tairamirror
storefront logo

6 Reviews for Coastal Calligraphy and Art Design Studio

Lorna · Married on 08/08/2015

If we could give 100 stars, we would! The baroque mirror was absolutely gorgeous and Malaine's calligraphy is unlike any other. Dean and I were speechless when it arrived. Malaine's attention to detail is very apparent, and we received many compliments on the mirror at the wedding! Malaine was readily available, friendly, flexible, professional, and an absolute pleasure to work with! Highly recommended. We will definitely be purchasing from Coastal Calligraphy again! Thank you for adding your unique touch to our special day!

Sent on 09/18/2015

Mike · Married on 04/25/2015

Working with Malaine was a lot of fun. She did a wonderful job on our invitations. Her calligraphy is truly a work of art its perfection. She also provided a mirrored seating chart for our reception dinner that is unbelievably beautiful it's hand painted with the names in calligraphy! It's Amazing. She is super easy to buy from on her Etsy store. She has a lot of great ideas that we would have never thought of. She once responded to a 4 am email I was sending before a flight one morning. That's customer service. Will be using her in the future.

Sent on 10/26/2015

Devon · Married on 03/07/2015

1.2
      0.5

I found this shop on Etsy and thought she had beautiful work. I contacted her in November for my wedding in March of 2015. The shop owner was very responsive and a pleasure to work with initially. I purchased a escort sign mirror and a cake mirror in December of 2015 and paid in full. I confirmed with the shop that the mirrors would be a certain size. In February I contacted the owner to check in regarding the status of my orders. By that time the mirrors that I had chosen were not available. Even though I paid in December and in my opinion the mirrors should have been purchased at that time, I was flexible with the shop owner and agreed to having two mirrors that were not the same. She stated the mirrors would be shipped out two weeks before my wedding. The Friday before my wedding the mirrors were still not even finished. While the mirrors were delivered two days before the wedding, I spent a good chunk of time running around trying to find a back up plan because the shop owner waited until the last minute to send them from the East Coast.

When I received the mirrors I was thoroughly disappointed. The mirrors were suppose to have been 3x4. One mirror was close to the dimension but the cake mirror was 2 x 2 feet which is a big difference. I immediately reached out to the shop owner, with two days before the wedding to let her know how disappointed I was. This is when things really became sour.

This shop owner was incredibly rude and would not admit to her mistake. I spent the following weeks after my wedding expressing to her that I was not happy and that she did not deliver what I had promised. She was extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. I can understand that it may be difficult to have your own business and I always try and give sellers the benefit of the doubt. I have never written a negative review but feel so strongly primarily because of how rude and horrible she treated me. Her photos may look nice but she was awful to work with. BEWARE!

Sent on 04/14/2015

Coastal Calligraphy and Art Design Studio FAQ

• What invitation and card products do you offer? Custom Invitations, Menus, Place Cards, Programs, Save the Dates
  • What services do you provide? Addressing, Assembly, Calligraphy, Design, In-Person Consultations, Shipping

• Virginia Beach, 23453 See on map