208 Copeland Ave., La Crosse, WI 54603 Map · Phone number

About Charlotte's Bridal and Formal Wear

Charlotte Bushman was a pioneer among women entrepreneurs, and today Charlotte’s Bridal continues her trendsetting tradition. It was 1948 when she began Charlotte’s Hat Shoppe in her home after investing $500 into a supply of Easter hats, just in time for the holiday. Her home business grew to be Charlotte’s Bridal Shoppe in 1953 with a modest selection of six bridesmaids dresses and five wedding gowns. It may not have seemed like much, but it made history. Hers was the first bridal salon ever opened in a woman’s own home, a story told across the country in Women’s Wear Daily.

In 2004 Charlotte’s was sold to Walker’s Formal Wear. At that time revamping took place. New lines were brought into the store and the inventory updated. Charlotte’s relocated to the Copeland Avenue location in July 2007 after spending more than 50 years in the Rose Street location. A bowling alley was in the Copeland Avenue location before Charlotte’s.

In April 2009, a fire broke out. Gail force winds ripped roofing that tangled in a power line and then caught fire. It took firefighters five hours to put out the flames. All of the sold dresses in the back storage area were safe and remained untouched from smoke and fire. More renovations took place at this time to make Charlotte’s what it is today.

Charlotte’s customer base comes from the entire Wisconsin area along with surrounding states! Come to Charlotte’s to see why our store is becoming the fastest growing bridal and formal wear store in the Midwest.

Follow Charlotte's Bridal and Formal Wear on

pink black logo revised
img9615

40 Reviews for Charlotte's Bridal and Formal Wear

Brooke · Getting married on 10/10/2020

My experience was a dream

My experience at Charlotte's Bridal was literally a dream. From the moment I walked in I felt welcomed, and my consultant Katie, was just as excited for me to be there as I was. During my appointment, Katie asked me numerous questions about what types of styles I felt more comfortable in and what I liked. The forth dress I tried on, I mentioned to her that I loved it all except for one thing, and she said "be right back!" and instantly ran and picked THE EXACT DRESS but with the detail I described. Never did I feel pressured to purchase, or rushed, and quite frankly they moved appointments around because I went over my allotted time looking at veils (which by the way they had one that matched my dress perfectly). Now that I continue to work with Charlotte's for menswear and bridesmaid dresses, I see that every aspect of their business is run professionally and everyone there does a wonderful job and truly cares about my wedding, even every little detail. I went to a few bridal stores in Milwaukee while I was attending school there, and none of them even came close to the experience I had at Charlotte's Bridal. I would make this store your first stop, because it would likely be the only one you make!

Sent on 08/13/2019

Charlotte's Bridal and Formal Wear's reply:

Hi Brooke, Thank you so much for your review! We have a blast finding all of your attire for your wedding and Katie said she had so much fun with you! Here's to a great time planning your wedding! Cheers, Jenn
  • Ashley

Ashley D · Getting married on 10/03/2020

wedding dress shopping!

I had the best experience at Charlotte's while finding my dress! The team was energetic and enthused to see us. I was excited, but having my consultant Meagan be as excited as me- made it so fun! The staff let me choose a variety of dresses and helped me narrow it down while carefully listening to my comments and concerns. They provided advice on how to fix each dress, but let me keep exploring until I found the one. I would highly recommend Charlotte's to anyone who is looking for a wedding dress. I drove 2 hours and it was well worth it. The store had a very large selection and a large area to try on the dresses. Thank you Charlotte's for the most wonderful wedding dress shopping experience!

Sent on 08/10/2019

Charlotte's Bridal and Formal Wear's reply:

Yea! Thank you so much for your review Ashley! I know Meagan had such a blast working with you! We are wishing you a ton of fun in your wedding planning!

Kacee Sullivan · Getting married on 09/26/2020

Absolutely amazing!

Maegan was awesome! She made this beautiful experience so warm, meaningful, and individualized. She was very personable and you can tell she loves her job. I absolutely recommend Charlotte’s!

Sent on 08/24/2019

Charlotte's Bridal and Formal Wear's reply:

Kacee, we so appreciate your kind words about your experience. We're thrilled you had such a wonderful time with Meagan!

Charlotte's Bridal and Formal Wear FAQ

• What are your price ranges for full-priced wedding gowns? $500 - $999, $1,000 - $2,499
  • What are your price ranges for full-priced suits and tuxedos? Under $200, $200 - $499
  • What are your price ranges for suit and tuxedo rentals? $100 - $199, $200 - $299
  • Which of the following services do you provide? Preservation, Rentals, Sample Sales, Trunk Shows
  • Which of the following items do you offer? Bridal Belts, Bridal Gowns, Formal Gowns, Garters, Hair Accessories, Jewelry, Plus Size Gowns, Sample Gowns, Shoes, Tuxedo Rentals, Tuxedos, Undergarments, Veils
  • What is the average turnaround time for a bridal gown? 6-8 months