160 North Division Street, Peekskill, NY 10566 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 12
  • Pricing

About Cantor Erik Contzius

Cantor Erik Contzius is a liberal Jewish ordained Cantor and wedding officiant based in Peekskill, New York. He focuses on getting to know the couples he is uniting so that he is able to create a custom service for each one. He also provides pre-marital counseling, and welcomes same-sex, interfaith, and secular couples.

Cantor Erik Contzius will make your custom wedding ceremony any length you desire, whether you want it to be kept short and sweet or prefer a longer option. He uses his more than 20 years of experience as a clergyman to create the perfect service for every couple he works with. Cantor Erik Contzius also guides his clients through a one-of-a-kind pre-marital counseling program. He provides resources for couples to turn to and learn from, and gets to know them on a personal basis.

Follow Cantor Erik Contzius on

9 Reviews for Cantor Erik Contzius

• Jessica

Jessica Gross · Married on 10/20/2018

10 stars!!! Amazing!!!

Your search for wedding officiant ends right here, at Cantor Erik Contzius. We knew from the moment we met him that he would be one of the best aspects of our whole wedding. We were really nervous about hiring an officiant. I was raised in a Reform Jewish home and am still very much connected to my Jewish culture and heritage. My boyfriend/now husband was raised Unitarian and is now non-practicing. We both wanted a traditionally Jewish ceremony, as that was very important to me (chuppah, prayers, glass breaking, Ketubah) but also wanted it to be very much us (not mentioning God, adding in elements of my husbands Irish roots). To us the ceremony was really important - the thing you remember, standing there together, officially becoming one. So we wanted someone who could reflect a sweet, traditional ceremony, but also make it feel like us. And boy did Erik deliver. We found him through the interfaith website and as soon as we Skyped with him, we knew he was for us. He was casual and funny, but when it came to the ceremonial traditions, you could tell he really valued what he does, taking it very seriously to make sure you knew why a tradition was there, and if it was something you wanted. We also loved that he wouldn’t work with a couple without getting to know them. We did our pre-marital questionnaire where he was able to give advice and guidance off of. We met multiple times before the wedding where it didn’t feel like a business deal, but like we were making a real friend - we always looked forward to weekend visits where we would talk about religion, what it means to us, and plan a wedding ceremony that fit our wants and needs. He is super duper quick with response and went back and forth on multiple emails with me making sure the spelling on our Ketubah, and descriptions in our program were all correct. The day of, he arrived early as promised and held a beautiful Ketubah ceremony - surrounded by just family and close friends, it was an intimate ceremony that was one of the most meaningful parts of the day. Then the ceremony. We were nervous - we loved Erik but we met him on the internet, what if he didn’t live up to all the reviews? Well believe us, he did - he exceeded every expectation we had! He customized the whole program for us (we even got a copy!). Beforehand, he had asked my husband and myself write love letters to each other and he used those to pull elements from into the ceremony. The ceremony was filled with love, humor, and culture. He sang prayers in Hebrew, he explained every tradition that we were doing so everyone - jewish and non-jewish - would understand and feel a part of it. He also made sure to bring in aspects from my husbands side as well - we drank one glass of wine from my grandfathers kiddish cup, and another from a glass from my husbands grandmother from Ireland; at the end of the ceremony he even added in an Irish prayer which really resonated with those on my husbands side. Everyone felt included, everyone felt welcomed. And most of all, the ceremony didn’t feel like just another ceremony - it felt 100% us which is more than we could have ever asked for (we asked to if we could read a poem to one another, and he was all on board, even offering to read it over for us!). I cannot think of one guest who hasn’t told us how much they loved our Cantor and the whole ceremony - “He was amazing, where did you find him?” “I want to recommend him for my daughter/son/sister/brothers wedding” “That was one of the best ceremonies - he was fantastic! And it felt just like you two.” My more religious parents who were cautious of who was officiating absolutely loved him and haven’t stopped raving. My grandfather said he absolutely loved taking to the Cantor, thought he was excellent. My husbands non-Jewish family absolutely loved him as well. The compliments can go on and on. But most importantly we 110% loved Cantor Erik. He made our wedding ceremony perfect. We hope to keep in touch with him throughout the years. He made everyone feel like one big family that day - and isn’t that what you want at a wedding? Look no further, hire Erik.

Sent on 12/14/2018
  • O

Olga · Married on 08/25/2018

Cantor Erik was absolutely fantastic - working with him was by far one of the best decisions we made for our wedding (besides choosing each other to marry, of course). I had dozens of guests complement me afterwards about our officiant - Jews and non-Jews, young and old, EVERYONE seemed to love him, everyone felt included and touched by our ceremony. And most of all, my husband and I couldn't have asked for a better person to usher us into our marriage.

From our very first meeting with him, Cantor Erik put us at ease and helped us think about how to build the foundation for a healthy marriage. He had such a great balance of humor and seriousness, helping us recognize the gravity of the wedding but also putting us at ease and helping us keep perspective amidst all the craziness of wedding planning. He worked with us to craft the ceremony that would be most meaningful for us, explaining the history behind various traditions and rituals and helping us determine what we did and didn't want to include. He was always responsive throughout the months leading up to the wedding when we had questions about our ketubah, program, etc. We looked forward to all our pre-wedding meetings with him, and grew as a couple in the process.

The wedding day itself - WOW. We laughed. We cried. We couldn't have been happier. Cantor Erik created a very special atmosphere for the ketubah signing, which created such a happy and peaceful tone for the whole wedding. For the ceremony, he started off with a very personalized message about our relationship - he got to the heart of who we were and why we worked so well together. He explained each of the traditions as he did them in a way that made everyone feel included. It was a truly special, uplifting, and unique ceremony.

All in all, we couldn't recommend Cantor Erik more highly!

Sent on 09/20/2018

Cantor Erik Contzius's reply:

Loved working with you both! I wish you only happiness, health and blessing on your journey of life! Stay in touch!

Catherine · Married on 06/24/2018

Erik is the best in the business! We absolutely loved how he did our ceremony, we’ve been married 2 weeks and people are still telling us how great he was. They loved how he translated the Hebrew part of the ceremony to English for people who aren’t jewish to understand! We love you Erik thank you for going above and beyond!!

Sent on 07/07/2018

Cantor Erik Contzius Pricing

Cantor Erik Contzius Price Rates

Cantor Erik Contzius FAQ

• What is the typical price for your wedding services? $ 1,500.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price? Premarital Counseling
  • What is the starting price for your wedding services? $ 1,500.00
  • Does starting price include the ceremony rehearsal? No
  • What types of weddings and events do you provide services for? Interfaith, Vow Renewal, Single Religion
  • What services do you provide? Allow Couples' Own Vows, Licensed, Premarital Counseling
  • What religious affiliations do you serve? Agnostic, Jewish, No Denomination
  • In which states are you licensed? CT, NJ, NY
  • What languages do you speak? English

• Flourish Cards
    Flourish Cards Wedding Invitations

Cantor Erik Contzius brings his personality, knowledge and his unique approach to any event. In preparation for his events, he asks questions and makes suggestions to better everyone's experience. He has a very welcoming way about him, helping others to shine.

• theketubah
    theketubah Wedding Favors

Cantor Erik Contzius is exactly what every officiant should be: easy to communicate with, thoughtful about what the couple wants and knowledgable about what they need. As a ketubah artist it's great to work with someone like that, even better for a couple on their wedding day.

• Rabbi Gary Katz
    Rabbi Gary Katz Wedding Officiants

Cantor Erik Contzius has a beautiful voice and wonderful demeanor as well. His easy going personality and sense of humor make everyone around him comfortable. I highly recommend him!

• 160 North Division Street Peekskill, New York, 10566 See on map