New York, NY 10003 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 17

About theketubah

I have been creating ketubot for over 20 years, focusing on bringing a modern aesthetic to the ketubah by reinterpreting the arts of calligraphy, watercolors and gilding.

My passion and inspiration for creating ketubot began when friends asked me to design a custom ketubah for their interfaith, intercultural wedding. It was a joy and honor to create a custom piece of artwork inspired by my friends' heritages that celebrated and embodied their unique union.

To make this first ketubah I spent the summer teaching myself Hebrew calligraphy and created my own unique lettering, which I still use to this day.

The ketubah is not only a symbolic document but a piece of artwork that will hang in a couple's home. When designing ketubot, I pull inspiration from the couples, blending my own modern aesthetic and traditional elements with their ideas. I enjoy creating a piece of artwork that reflects the couple and will bring them joy to look at for years to come.

I live and work in the East Village of New York City, the same neighborhood where Yiddish culture thrived 100 years ago. I love that in a small way I‘m bringing it back.

I create custom ketubot and also have a portfolio of ready-made ketubah prints and text-only calligraphy options. For more information, visit: theketubah.com.

Confused about where to begin? I can help! I've worked with a wide range of couples from traditional orthodox, conservative, and reform to same-sex, interfaith and even non-Jewish couples. I can offer text examples and answer any questions you may have. Please don't hesitate to reach out with inquiries or questions.

Thank you for visiting my WeddingWire page, and to the engaged couples out there, mazel tov on your engagement!

• Drawn On Your Day
  • Olfactory NYC
  • Albums Remembered
aca290768c14a77f logo
nature inspired ketubah by theketubah.com
nature inspired ketubah by theketubah.com
sumi ink and rose gold leaf ketubah.
sumi ink and rose gold leaf ketubah.
alhambra ketubah print
alhambra ketubah print
ketubah with 24kt. gold leaf art nouveau design based on the secessionist movemnet in vienna.
momoyama ketubah print framed
momoyama ketubah print framed
branches ketubah print framed
branches ketubah print framed
rothko turquoise ketubah print framed
rothko turquoise ketubah print framed
detail of falling blossoms, a modern ketubah inspired by japanese porcelain painting by...
just text ketubah print with 24kt. gold leaf borders

3 Reviews for theketubah

• Bethany

Bethany · Married on 07/14/2019

Stunning work!

Stephanie Caplan's ketubah artistry is absolutely beautiful. We ordered a custom ketubah from her, and she gave us exactly what was promised, accommodating all of the color, gold-leafing, and textual changes we requested—and delivered exactly on schedule. Stephanie is a consummate professional: At our meeting with her in the studio, she had a comprehensive lists of questions for us that we had not thought to ask, and we were happy to have her guidance. She also provided us with thorough instructions for managing the ketubah on the day of the wedding, and directed us to a framer who similarly did a beautiful job. We are so grateful to have a ketubah that is truly a work of art, and we love that it’s one of the first things we see each time we enter the apartment. We unreservedly recommend Stephanie to anyone who wants a hand-crafted, calligraphic ketubah!

Sent on 10/31/2019

Stephanie created the most beautiful Ketubah for my husband and me. I am an artist myself and hated about 99% of the Ketubahs that I saw---they were corny, ordinary and even tacky.
    We wanted a piece of artwork that reflected us as a couple, reminded us of our wedding day (farm wedding in Autumn) and would be timeless i.e. we didn't want to outgrow the design or, worse, get sick of the design.

Stephanie's designs are organic and simply beautiful. We met with Stephanie and she showed us a few of her designs. Stephanie worked with us to reimagine one of her spring-floral designs, into autumn foliage. It perfectly captures the beauty of our wedding day. It's simple, graceful, and beautiful.

In addition to being a talented artist, Stephanie was a wonderful resource for us. We included traditional Aramaic on our Ketubah but then wrote our own English vows. Stephanie provided us with examples and was extremely professional and knowledgeable throughout the process. If you don't know how to write a particular quote or your name in Hebrew - don't worry, she will!

Sent on 03/27/2015

theketubah's reply:

thanks so much for your review, it was a pleasure working with you! enjoy your ketubah.
  • nzgilbe

Natasha · Married on 06/26/2010

3.6
      3.0
      3.5

Stephanie Caplan made a beautiful Ketubah for us.

Sent on 07/21/2010

• Cantor Erik Contzius Wedding Officiants

Stephanie is an amazing artist. Her works are custom, one of a kind pieces of art that will surely be treasured by any couple engaging her services. As a professional, she is very easy to communicate with, available and very attuned to details—something extremely important for a ketubah artist whose concern is accuracy of text. At the same time, she is flexible to listen to couples' needs and work with them for the right text and translation.

• New York, 10003 See on map