Younts Conference Center, Furman University

Flexibility
4.3
Sundra
05/02/2015

Furman University is a beautiful campus and was a perfect venue to create the overall timeless wedding look we hoped to achieve!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Private User
Recently Married
4.2

The chapel is beautiful and well priced!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The staff at Younts were very professional, courteous, and helpful. They helped make my wedding reception an unforgettable, amazing experience. Younts exceeded my expectations, and I am very happy that I used them. Furman's campus is beautiful, so it was the perfect location for my wedding!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

As a Furman graduate, I always dreamed of getting married on Furman's perfectly manicured campus. The Charles E. Daniel Chapel is gorgeous, and provided the perfect location for us to swap "I do's"! They require that you have a wedding coordinator and ours, Mary Hearne, was a lifesaver. She was such a delight that we hired her for the reception and day after brunch as well. She kept us on time, in order an following all of Furman's rules so we were able to get all of the security deposit back. The rehearsal only lasted about 20-30 minutes (unheard of!), and she left pieces of tape so everyone knew exactly where to stand. She was also able to suggest other vendors that we had not booked yet, and together we created possibly the perfect wedding vendor team!

We took bridal portraits in the Rose Garden and the Bell Tower and a first look in the Rose Garden before our wedding, it provided the perfect setting to see my groom for the first time that day! Our bridal party photos were mostly taken on the Mall, and look like something out of a magazine. --Of course part of that is due to our wonderful photographers, but Furman provided the location/backdrop.

I could not have dreamed of a more perfect place to get married! Both the Furman sales team, and Mary Hearne made the entire process a breeze!

Jessica
06/21/2014

Younts is such a beautiful place to hold a wedding. We were able to utilize not only all the space inside, but DeSantis Pavilion and the back patio as well. It was the perfect size to hold our 250+ guest wedding, while still having room for a photobooth, DJ, and dancefloor. Parking is easily accessible, which was also a bonus because we had a lot of older guests. My only complaint is that when the second half of our deposit was due, I received a reminder email only 24 hours before it was due. Yes, in some respects I should have kept on top of this, but at the same time, I feel a reminder email a couple months, a month, or even a week in advance would have been nice. The email saying our deposit was due was the first contact we had with the Younts staff in the 2 years since we had booked the venue. Luckily we had the funds set aside, but I feel as if this may cause a problem for brides (or other clients) who may not be as on top of things or have the finances available. Other than that, everything was perfect. The Younts staff that worked our event were extremely friendly and pleasant to work with.

Joy
12/21/2013

Younts Conference Center was a wonderful host. The Venue staff were absolutely wonderful and more than helpful!

Marci
11/16/2013
1.2

So many things were wrong with my experience that I don't know where to start. All of my issues were with catering. The coordinators were great. First off during my first tasting they have us frozen chicken fingers to taste. I was paying $6000 for catering and they were going to serve frozen chicken fingers. When we called them out on how bad they were they stated the could do hand breaded ones for the same price. Really?? We had to schedule a second tasting to try these when they should have been offered first. The night of the wedding the chicken was dry and the bread on our sliders was falling apart like it was stale. So disappointing.

Second throughout the whole wedding planning I told them multiple times that I didn't want to run out of alcohol. It was the one thing I was worried about for the night. I brought in my own alcohol and went above the necessary amount to ensure that we would not run out. During the wedding one bar was busier than the other and they ran through items faster. Instead of directing people to the other bar or, I don't know, waking to the other bar to grab a bottle, they just told guests we were out. They also closed that bar 30 minutes early yet still made me pay for the bartender. I ended up having some of everything left and $400 worth of alcohol to return. Considering it was my biggest concern you would think they would have made sure that this never occurred. I had guests coming up to me saying they were out of alcohol when I knew they were most definitely not.

Overall we paid a lot of money for a not so great experience with the caterers. I would change my entire wedding plan if I could do it over again.

Younts Conference Center, Furman University responded with the following comments:

We are sorry to hear that your experience with catering was not to your expectations. This is certainly not the standard with our clients. In speaking with our catering department, we are able to offer you some feedback in regards to your complaints.
Because of the nature of your reception (buffet), frozen chicken fingers are typically what our catering company uses. The main reason for this is because of the style of chicken finger. The frozen fingers have more breading on them, which hold better when they are going to be out in a chafing dish for two hours. The thicker breading keeps them moist and our clients prefer those over the hand breaded because they dry out. Typically, guests would assemble their own sliders, so the bread would not be placed in a chafing dish. Because your sliders were preassembled and placed in the chafing dish, this caused the bread to appear stale.
There was some confusion on the bars during your reception. The bartenders did not tell guests that you were out of liquor. They did tell them that you were out of a specific kind of liquor. When alcohol is supplied by the client, versus the caterer, they only serve what is supplied. When they run out of a certain kind or brand, they are only able to serve what is remaining to the guests.
We appreciate your feedback on your reception concerning the issues you had with catering. We understand that catering did reach out to you after your complaint directly to them and no response from you was received so we believed the issue had been resolved.

Private User
1+ year ago
4.7

The staff were very professional and organized. We had an outside vendor bring in chairs and linens and there were no problems with the setup or break down of our event. All the guests loved the food and it was served the way we requested it. The space was perfect for a wedding reception and the dance floor stayed packed due to our awesome DJ from The Party Machine!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Planning
1.8

While the venue provided the size and acoustics we were looking for, that's where it about ended. The catering is separate so will not be covered in this review. Claire, in charge of the venue made agreements that she didn't follow through with, namely collecting the flowers at the end of the night to give to a nursing home. As a result the parents were saddle with the hassle of empting all the flower vessels and lugging them all home. When the vendor had previously picked them up the following morning Obviously she did not care for the glorious florist we had, or she did not get a "kick back" from one of her preferred florists The tables were rarely, if ever cleared of empty glasses, plates, etc. The bartenders did not keep count of bottles "uncorked" or beer removed from cardboard cases==they left it up to us to "trust" their corking charges. At the end of the night, they were very pushy to get out of the venue even though we paid for additional hours. Claire was a phony salesman until she was paid the total fee than she wanted all the control. She had the nerve to tell the bride she wanted to move an outside bar, inside, two days before the wedding. Although it had been raining, in two days it might have been finel.It did not rain. What coordinator would try to change a bride's plans before the date?!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The chapel was absolutely gorgeous so I did not have to add much decor. There are quite a few rules to abide by, and I would say that is the only downfall to having a ceremony here. Also makes for gorgeous pictures!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Everyone was so helpful and nice. They kept in constant contact during the planning process. Also, they are very up front about their policies and costs, so you never felt like a hidden rule or cost was going to come along! Our ceremony was at the chapel, where everyone was fantastic as well. They made everything very streamline and worry free. A fantastic experience!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My wedding was amazing. Furman made sure I didn't have to worry about a thing on my special day. They helped me find a wedding coordinator, Amanda Cox, who was amazing! From the food to the reception layout they made sure everything was just how my husband and I wanted it. Our wedding day was a dream come true with no worries, we just enjoyed the day. I would HIGHLY recommend Furman as an event venue for your wedding reception.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My experience with Younts was great. They did everything they could to accomodate our wishes for our reception, and Kay was a pleasure to work with. Definitely a worthy vendor :)

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Daniel chapel at Furman University is absolutely gorgeous! I had so many people tell me how pretty it was. What I love about the chapel is its beauty. Because it is so pretty you really do not have to use a lot of decorations in the chapel. They do have a lot of rules that you have to follow, but it is nothing that is to crazy. I am really glad I chose Furman and the chapel made a beautiful background for all of our pictures.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I'm giving this 5 stars even though we had to deal with the Bell Tower & trees surounding it being rolled by toilet paper the night before our ceremony by Seniors. It just gives us a funny story to tell for years to come. :)

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The most beautiful chapel I have ever seen!!! Absolutely amazing!!!