The Grand Olympia Hospitality and Convention Centre

The Grand Olympia Hospitality and Convention Centre

Your Eevent Deserves the Grand. For the Ultimate in Events.

660 Barton Street

(4.0 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(3.8 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

From the second my fiancé (now husband) and I walked into the Grand Olympia we fell in love with the place! We met with Suzanne (our wedding coordinator) who greeted us with a warm smile. She gave us a tour of the place and then discussed our options. We immediately booked our date and began the wedding planning. Suzanne was helpful throughout the entire process. She was knowledgable of all the details that go into a wedding and was patient with all of the fussy requests that we (mostly me) made.

Throughout the months, we had our food tasting which was organized and very helpful in deciding what our guests would like most. We also had several more visits to finalize details for the day of the wedding. We were told that Suzanne would not be our coordinator for the day of the wedding and we were sad, since she was so awesome to work with. We were even a little worried since all of our discussions had been with Suzanne and she knew the style and feel that we were going for.

This worry immediately disappeared when we had our final detail appointment with Keith. He was very organized and was aware of all of the small details we had requested. He too was patient and very accommodating with all of the requests we had made. This put us at ease knowing that our wedding day was in good hands.
The rehearsal was organized and Keith did an excellent job of making sure everyone knew their positions.

Our wedding day soon approached and WOW! We were blown away. The venue looked amazing! Grand Olympia executed our vision a million times better then we could have ever imagined! Everyone was so friendly and organized and professional. Grand Olympia took care of all of our worries and everyone had an amazing time.

**special thanks to Wayne..he was awesome. SO professional and mature. He was handling everything with ease and left us with zero stress.

0.4/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 0.5
  • Responsiveness: 0.0
  • Professionalism: 1.0
  • Value: 0.0
  • Flexibility: 0.5

On October 22 we had a Women's league Day with 345 ladies and we found the service poor! At least 15 ladies didn't receive any lunch!! They ran out of food!! You would think that a grand place such as this would make sure to have enough lunch for everyone! We all had paid ahead of time so they knew how many people were coming!! Also the tables were not cleared until well into the afternoon speech!! Very disappointing!!!

Services Used: Catering
4.9/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

thank you to the grand olympia for an amazing wedding experience. From start to finish, the grand olympia and my wedding planner made the wedding plans as easy as possible. They day was beyond incredible. The decor, food, limo, dj, and everything working was perfect!!

• Wedding: 10/04/2014
4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.0

We were very pleased with everything the Grand Olympia had to offer us the day of our wedding. Everything turned out just the way I have envisioned it. Our wedding planner was super friendly and very patient with all the questions I had for her.

2.7/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 2.5
  • Responsiveness: 2.5
  • Professionalism: 2.5
  • Value: 2.5
  • Flexibility: 3.5

I got married there over a month ago. The food was good and the wedding planner was very sweet and understanding however so many things went wrong. Me and my husband showed up early to do wedding photos. we finished the photos early so we hung out in the bridal suit for a while with our wedding party. we were told we would start at 5:30 we didn't get out of the room till 6. for a place that says that they have set times for everything and have to have things go on time they sure didn't do a good job. our MC had planed everything around the halls timing but the hall was an hour behind. me and my husband wanted a dance to start at 9 like it was suppose to it didn't start at 9. we didn't really get a dance because we were so behind. they say timing is important so the music from the other hall doesn't affect speeches well guess what. we couldn't hear half of our speeches because the hall beside us had there base to high and wouldn't turn it down after half of us asked over 20 times if they could do something about it. so what if it was an out of house DJ they should of made him turn it down. my husband designed out cake and was so upset with it because it wasn't fully what he asked for. the slide show our parents had worked so hard on was so blown out we couldn't see it and they even went to go test it out and it was good before. but thats not even the half of it. the head table wasn't even served first for food. we were 3rd. isn't the bride and groom suppose to be first? my parents had to go to the kitchen to get there dessert and coffee because they didn't even get any. food was missing of plats and the beer we ordered for the bar wasn't out until my dad made them pull it out. whats the point in paying more for some beer and wine when you have to tell them hey we are missing this beer and wine were is it. having to ask for things to get done and try and get things back on track shouldn't have to happen but it did. and still no apology not happy

1.6/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 3.0
  • Responsiveness: 3.0
  • Professionalism: 0.0
  • Value: 2.0
  • Flexibility: 0.0

I recently was married at the grand olympia. The overall look and the food was amazing. However the service was not very professional. All the servers were young and unexperienced. They spilled drinks on my guests numerous times. I had to ask for my drink numerous times after being ignored. I spent lots of time and money on a candy buffet which no one replenished and I ended up with half the candy left over that I could not return. When I emailed my wedding planner twice to express some things that bothered me i did not get a reply not even an apology. I also talked to the wedding supervisor during my wedding and he promised me he would fix some other problems and never did instead he avoided me the rest of the night. It's truly a shame that such a beautiful place isn't professional and honestly puts on a show to entice you and once you have paid doesn't really care. They hire people for minimum wage and are no where to be found the actual day if your wedding when you need them. Furthermore never try to even contact you to even apologize .

• Wedding: Recently Married
Services Used: Band, Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Ceremony Music, Wedding Cake, Wedding Planning
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We just recently had my wedding at The Grand Olympia and we were extremely happy with the outcome. The decor, the food, the staff and service was all amazing. We couldn't have asked for more. Fifty percent of our guests were from out of town and they absolutely loved the venue. Suzanne was amazing to work with. She ensured everything was just perfect for the wedding reception. The decor was exactly what I asked for, the service was excellent and the pricing was just right! Thank you for making our day extra special.

• Wedding: 04/20/2014
4.1/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

Very pleased with final outcome of wedding reception! Food was amazing and hall was decorated beautifully.

• Wedding: 1+ year ago
1.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 1.0
  • Responsiveness: 1.0
  • Professionalism: 1.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 2.0

Took a long time to rate but we are going to do this in point form because there were many MANY issues. I loved our wedding day and it was great because we & our guests made it great, but the Grand Olympia was awful!

1) Double booked our wedding ceremony with another couple...asked us to put a change of time card in with our invites...finally convinced them to pay for reprints on the invites which were rushed and didn't look as beautiful as the first ones. Had multiple cry-sessions on the phone with them before they agreed to cover the $500 cost of the reprint.

2) Didn't get hor'dourves at all for the bridal party...the bridal party ended up stealing them off of a tray that was headed into another couple's bridal suite because they wanted to try them

3) We were told they would put out our photo frame for guests to sign instead of a guest book. They left the glass on the mat. Guests signed the glass and now we have to pay to have it sealed. They also put a paper book beside it. Now we have a 1/2 signed frame and a cheap 1/2 signed guest book

4) Paid extra for fireworks. They told us at our last meeting that they would position our photographers. They didn't. We have no photos of something that cost us $750 (and I hear was beautiful, but I wouldn't know). When I emailed them to discuss this, I was told that I must be lying or must have misunderstood them.

5) Dropped full tray of glass drinks inches away from my flower girl.

6) My husband was feeling ill later on in the evening and stepped out of the room for a minute. The entire time he was gone, I had a staff person hassling me to find him so we could cut the cake. I was just trying to enjoy our guests so one of us could spend time with them. I had an extremely stress free day...with the exception of the hassling staff member.

7) Guests are still complaining about our DJ. He claimed to be "all request" and didn't play requests. Did not follow what we asked on the DJ forms at all!

• Wedding: 01/12/2013
2.3/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 2.5
  • Responsiveness: 1.5
  • Professionalism: 2.0
  • Value: 2.5
  • Flexibility: 3.0

In light of how much time, effort and funds went into our reception, we were disappointed and would not recommend GO to others.

Firstly, our coordinator was exceedingly difficult to get in touch with. I would leave both email and voicemail as well as messages with the front desk and still not hear back. Once when I finally got her on the phone and asked her if she received my messages she said "Oh, I don't think I got those, weird...".

On arriving we noticed things that we'd confirmed several times were missing. Our upgraded head table backdrop was not there, one table was missing chair covers, and our photo booth was not assembled. Our slide show equipment was not set up; it was later set up/checked during dessert in front of our guests.

Dinner was the biggest let down. The pasta was dry and tasteless, not like what we chose. Even though I confirmed the vegetarian entrees over several emails, both were incorrect. Dairy-free guests were served vegetables in stead of chicken, I presume because the chicken we chose had cream sauce. Could they not have been served chicken without cream sauce? Finally, after what felt like an hour lapsed between entrees and dessert, we were told it was because some of our guests were using the washroom.

After we filled out comment cards provided, one of the staff interrupted us on the dance floor to discuss the issues. Annoying! We just wanted to forget the problems and enjoy our guests.

We provided favours and initially only about 50 of them were put out (the rest were under the table, to top up the basket as it emptied). Apparently they were never replenished so the majority of our guests did not get favours. Our cake serving set was never returned to us.

When we discussed our issues with management, they didn't seem to care. They offered us 2 tickets to their New Year's Eve Gala (no thanks!). If I were to re-plan our wedding, I would do everything the same EXCEPT for choosing the Grand Oympia.

• Wedding: 2+ years ago
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, DJ, Lighting & Decor, Wedding Cake
Anonymous
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Tina, Luisa, Alex the 3 most amazing people. As soon as we walked thru the front door we were treated as family. I cannot thank the Grand Olympia enough for the most amazing day of our lives. I cannot say enough beautiful things to express our gratitude. Everything about our day was PERFECT! The whole venue was amazing, more than we could have expected. Would not have changed a thing. You 3 truly were and are amazing. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts! Our Wedding Day was perfect because of you.
Lynn and George

• Wedding: 02/03/2012
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Scott and I just wanted to take a minute to send you a quick email to thank you for everything! Our wedding day was all that we had dreamed of and more! We are so happy that we had our ceremony and reception together at the Grand Olympia. It made our day run so much smoother to do it all in one place!
Our guests were all blown away at the level of professionalism and service that they recieved from your staff.And the food was FANTASTIC! I think it was even better on Saturday, than it was at our food tasting! People are still talking about how much food they ate that night! And we even cut out that 2nd main course!
And thank you for helping with our flower girl when she fell. I didnt even see it happen as I stood inside the doors with my Dad. But I dont think she would have made it down the aisle without you calming her down

• Wedding: 08/14/2011
lesie
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I would like to personally thank you for everything you have done to make my wedding reception the best ever
My reception was held on Saturday July 16, 2011 in the Halton hall. I have never had so much fun, the decor was beautiful, the cake was fantastic i was loving the bling that you did for us.Our matre'd Kashawn did a fantastic job and also our waiter shawn, both of these men were very polite, they knew their stuff and made our night memorable.I will definetly say that the food was fantastic as well as our bartender was very sociable and did a great job.

I thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for making my dream come true on this very special occasion. I would defiently recommend grand olympia to everyone i know, My family and friends cannot stop talking about the food, the cleanliness of the building and the staff.

• Wedding: 08/13/2011
kerry
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Just wanted to say thank you to you and your wonderful staff on behalf of me, my new husband, and our families!!
Everyone is still raving about the facilities and the service!!! Our guests and families had an awesome time and can't stop talking about the
amazing service, food, and appearance of the hall!!
A personal thanks to you too for helping our big day go so smoothly....and getting Brendan some Tums when his tummy was upset!!! :)
He can't stop talking about that too!!! And Erik our assistant ran down to our room numerous times to grab things that I had forgotten!!
Overall the day went off extraordinarily well...and Bren and I are both incredibly happy with the day - we felt like a real Prince and Princess I can tell you!!

• Wedding: 07/16/2011
sarah
4.9/5.0
  • Flexibility: 4.5

Awesome! The food was incredible and the staff was very attentive and accomodating

• Wedding: 07/09/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I apologize for the long wait time in sending this email, however with our honeymoon and family commitments we have been a little less than efficient with our time.

I firstly would like to thank you for everything you did for us. I have never received such excellent customer service as we did in our first meeting with you and every interaction that followed by phone. You have an attention to detail that is quite remarkable, and I know without doubt that had we not had the meeting with you our day would have been absolutely affected, although i'm sure still amazing, the little touches that meant so much to us would not have been in place and I can't thank you enough for that.

I also want to thank you,You went above and beyond to get us what we needed, and when my family altered their plans you went above and beyond again when you didn't need to, it was a real treat enjoying such service,I have told everyone about the inspiring manner in which you run your business, you have a gift.

Mitchell and Tyler (i hope I have spelt their names correctly) were magnificent. They tended to our every need with professionalism and an infectious calmness. We didn't have a single hiccup all night, and I know that is due to their excellent work and the incredible planning of your team. It's difficult to not fill this email with gushing remarks and praise that borders on ridiculous, but we have attended many weddings, and from top to bottom our experience was flawless, we have received nothing but compliments from our guests about the impeccable service, and the one constant remark was that the quality of the food was the best that anyone has had at a wedding to date. One guest is attending culinary school and expressed their shock at the high level of quality, they ate too much on the night so they were a little too lazy to dance however :-). The midnight buffet rivalled any, it was perfect.

I can't say enough good things about our day with The Olympia, I will recommend your organization to everyone and I will do it knowing that there is no better place to host a Wedding, I only wish we had brought more people to experience our day.

You and your team made our day magical.

Thank you.

• Wedding: 06/29/2011
laura
905-643-4291
ext. 32
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire
3.9