The Grand Olympia Hospitality and Convention Centre
Your Eevent Deserves the Grand. For the Ultimate in Events.
660 Barton Street

• Professionalism:  0.0
  • Value:  2.0
  • Flexibility:  0.0

Private User 1 Reviews
I recently was married at the grand olympia. The overall look and the food was amazing. However the service was not very professional. All the servers were young and unexperienced. They spilled drinks on my guests numerous times. I had to ask for my drink numerous times after being ignored. I spent lots of time and money on a candy buffet which no one replenished and I ended up with half the candy left over that I could not return. When I emailed my wedding planner twice to express some things that bothered me i did not get a reply not even an apology. I also talked to the wedding supervisor during my wedding and he promised me he would fix some other problems and never did instead he avoided me the rest of the night. It's truly a shame that such a beautiful place isn't professional and honestly puts on a show to entice you and once you have paid doesn't really care. They hire people for minimum wage and are no where to be found the actual day if your wedding when you need them. Furthermore never try to even contact you to even apologize .
Wedding: Recently Married
Services Used: Band, Wedding Cake, Catering, Ceremony Music, Wedding Planning, Ceremony & Reception Venue
4.1/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Professionalism:  4.0
  • Value:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  3.5

Private User 2 Reviews
Very pleased with final outcome of wedding reception! Food was amazing and hall was decorated beautifully.
Wedding: Recently Married
1.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  1.0
  • Responsiveness:  1.0
  • Professionalism:  1.0
  • Value:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  2.0
Took a long time to rate but we are going to do this in point form because there were many MANY issues. I loved our wedding day and it was great because we & our guests made it great, but the Grand Olympia was awful!

1) Double booked our wedding ceremony with another couple...asked us to put a change of time card in with our invites...finally convinced them to pay for reprints on the invites which were rushed and didn't look as beautiful as the first ones. Had multiple cry-sessions on the phone with them before they agreed to cover the $500 cost of the reprint.

2) Didn't get hor'dourves at all for the bridal party...the bridal party ended up stealing them off of a tray that was headed into another couple's bridal suite because they wanted to try them

3) We were told they would put out our photo frame for guests to sign instead of a guest book. They left the glass on the mat. Guests signed the glass and now we have to pay to have it sealed. They also put a paper book beside it. Now we have a 1/2 signed frame and a cheap 1/2 signed guest book

4) Paid extra for fireworks. They told us at our last meeting that they would position our photographers. They didn't. We have no photos of something that cost us $750 (and I hear was beautiful, but I wouldn't know). When I emailed them to discuss this, I was told that I must be lying or must have misunderstood them.

5) Dropped full tray of glass drinks inches away from my flower girl.

6) My husband was feeling ill later on in the evening and stepped out of the room for a minute. The entire time he was gone, I had a staff person hassling me to find him so we could cut the cake. I was just trying to enjoy our guests so one of us could spend time with them. I had an extremely stress free day...with the exception of the hassling staff member.

7) Guests are still complaining about our DJ. He claimed to be "all request" and didn't play requests. Did not follow what we asked on the DJ forms at all!
Wedding: 01/12/2013
2.3/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  2.5
  • Responsiveness:  1.5
  • Professionalism:  2.0
  • Value:  2.5
  • Flexibility:  3.0

Anonymous 1 Reviews
In light of how much time, effort and funds went into our reception, we were disappointed and would not recommend GO to others.

Firstly, our coordinator was exceedingly difficult to get in touch with. I would leave both email and voicemail as well as messages with the front desk and still not hear back. Once when I finally got her on the phone and asked her if she received my messages she said "Oh, I don't think I got those, weird...".

On arriving we noticed things that we'd confirmed several times were missing. Our upgraded head table backdrop was not there, one table was missing chair covers, and our photo booth was not assembled. Our slide show equipment was not set up; it was later set up/checked during dessert in front of our guests.

Dinner was the biggest let down. The pasta was dry and tasteless, not like what we chose. Even though I confirmed the vegetarian entrees over several emails, both were incorrect. Dairy-free guests were served vegetables in stead of chicken, I presume because the chicken we chose had cream sauce. Could they not have been served chicken without cream sauce? Finally, after what felt like an hour lapsed between entrees and dessert, we were told it was because some of our guests were using the washroom.

After we filled out comment cards provided, one of the staff interrupted us on the dance floor to discuss the issues. Annoying! We just wanted to forget the problems and enjoy our guests.

We provided favours and initially only about 50 of them were put out (the rest were under the table, to top up the basket as it emptied). Apparently they were never replenished so the majority of our guests did not get favours. Our cake serving set was never returned to us.

When we discussed our issues with management, they didn't seem to care. They offered us 2 tickets to their New Year's Eve Gala (no thanks!). If I were to re-plan our wedding, I would do everything the same EXCEPT for choosing the Grand Oympia.
Wedding: 2+ years ago
Services Used: Wedding Cake, Catering, DJ, Lighting & Decor, Ceremony & Reception Venue
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Tina, Luisa, Alex the 3 most amazing people. As soon as we walked thru the front door we were treated as family. I cannot thank the Grand Olympia enough for the most amazing day of our lives. I cannot say enough beautiful things to express our gratitude. Everything about our day was PERFECT! The whole venue was amazing, more than we could have expected. Would not have changed a thing. You 3 truly were and are amazing. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts! Our Wedding Day was perfect because of you.
Lynn and George
Wedding: 02/03/2012

lesie 1 Reviews
Scott and I just wanted to take a minute to send you a quick email to thank you for everything! Our wedding day was all that we had dreamed of and more! We are so happy that we had our ceremony and reception together at the Grand Olympia. It made our day run so much smoother to do it all in one place!
Our guests were all blown away at the level of professionalism and service that they recieved from your staff.And the food was FANTASTIC! I think it was even better on Saturday, than it was at our food tasting! People are still talking about how much food they ate that night! And we even cut out that 2nd main course!
And thank you for helping with our flower girl when she fell. I didnt even see it happen as I stood inside the doors with my Dad. But I dont think she would have made it down the aisle without you calming her down
Wedding: 08/14/2011

kerry 1 Reviews
I would like to personally thank you for everything you have done to make my wedding reception the best ever
My reception was held on Saturday July 16, 2011 in the Halton hall. I have never had so much fun, the decor was beautiful, the cake was fantastic i was loving the bling that you did for us.Our matre'd Kashawn did a fantastic job and also our waiter shawn, both of these men were very polite, they knew their stuff and made our night memorable.I will definetly say that the food was fantastic as well as our bartender was very sociable and did a great job.

I thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for making my dream come true on this very special occasion. I would defiently recommend grand olympia to everyone i know, My family and friends cannot stop talking about the food, the cleanliness of the building and the staff.
Wedding: 08/13/2011

sarah 1 Reviews
Just wanted to say thank you to you and your wonderful staff on behalf of me, my new husband, and our families!!
Everyone is still raving about the facilities and the service!!! Our guests and families had an awesome time and can't stop talking about the
amazing service, food, and appearance of the hall!!
A personal thanks to you too for helping our big day go so smoothly....and getting Brendan some Tums when his tummy was upset!!! :)
He can't stop talking about that too!!! And Erik our assistant ran down to our room numerous times to grab things that I had forgotten!!
Overall the day went off extraordinarily well...and Bren and I are both incredibly happy with the day - we felt like a real Prince and Princess I can tell you!!
Wedding: 07/16/2011
4.9/5.0
  • Flexibility:  4.5
Awesome! The food was incredible and the staff was very attentive and accomodating
Wedding: 07/09/2011

laura 1 Reviews
I apologize for the long wait time in sending this email, however with our honeymoon and family commitments we have been a little less than efficient with our time.

I firstly would like to thank you for everything you did for us. I have never received such excellent customer service as we did in our first meeting with you and every interaction that followed by phone. You have an attention to detail that is quite remarkable, and I know without doubt that had we not had the meeting with you our day would have been absolutely affected, although i'm sure still amazing, the little touches that meant so much to us would not have been in place and I can't thank you enough for that.

I also want to thank you,You went above and beyond to get us what we needed, and when my family altered their plans you went above and beyond again when you didn't need to, it was a real treat enjoying such service,I have told everyone about the inspiring manner in which you run your business, you have a gift.

Mitchell and Tyler (i hope I have spelt their names correctly) were magnificent. They tended to our every need with professionalism and an infectious calmness. We didn't have a single hiccup all night, and I know that is due to their excellent work and the incredible planning of your team. It's difficult to not fill this email with gushing remarks and praise that borders on ridiculous, but we have attended many weddings, and from top to bottom our experience was flawless, we have received nothing but compliments from our guests about the impeccable service, and the one constant remark was that the quality of the food was the best that anyone has had at a wedding to date. One guest is attending culinary school and expressed their shock at the high level of quality, they ate too much on the night so they were a little too lazy to dance however :-). The midnight buffet rivalled any, it was perfect.

I can't say enough good things about our day with The Olympia, I will recommend your organization to everyone and I will do it knowing that there is no better place to host a Wedding, I only wish we had brought more people to experience our day.

You and your team made our day magical.

Thank you.
Wedding: 06/29/2011
 905-643-4291
ext. 32
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire