Penelope
Beginner April 2020

Where did you find your non-white gown?

Penelope, on February 10, 2019 at 1:18 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 27
Saved Save

I don't really want to wear white for my wedding, but I wasn't expecting it to be this hard to find a gown that wasn't white. And usually, when you see that there's "other colors," they're just varying shades of...white! Or a really pale pink.

I was really in love with a lot of the dresses I saw on Azazie, but they just don't really have a good range of colors (beyond that pink mark). To make matters worse, my budget is less than $1000. So...where should I be looking?

27 Comments

• T
    Super June 2019
    Tiffany ·
    It’s tough to find nice untraditional colored gowns that aren’t a fortune.
    Theres the DH Gate/Aliexpress/eBay gamble. I’m ordering from someone on Aliexpress with amazing reviews and pics of dresses after a disappointing DH gate dress(it’s bit terrible it’s just not what I was hoping for).
    otherwise you can get a custom dress for usually like $2000.
    I did see a website called Matrimony Prep that was us based and had great prices but I can’t find any reviews online. After my fail I may go that way...
    let us know what you decide!
  • O
    Dedicated September 2019
    Oregonbride ·
    BHLDN has some non-white gowns. I tried on a grey ballgown at a wedding dress shop, but I'm not sure who the designer was. The stylist said that color was becoming more popular. Good luck with your search!
  • C
    Savvy November 2019
    Charlotte ·
    Try local boutiques. My dress is champagne and thr wedding boutique shop owner picked it out for me and I fell in love with it as soon as I tried it on. The only downfall is I had to go over my budget to get it (I paid $1500 for it). I wish you well on your search!
  • M
    Mim ·
    Look in department stores, formal wear boutiques, and prom dress shops.
  • Chrystal
    Super May 2019
    Chrystal ·
    Maybe you can try a prom store? I saw a lot of dresses in those stores in many colors and shapes. They are usually less than 1000
  • Jennifer
    VIP September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    Find a gown in white or cream you like and have it dyed a colour you Do want. I’ve seen it done and it’s stunning! Plus it’s one-of-a-kind and that’s always nice!
  • C
    Devoted June 2019
    C R ·
    Or, take a look at the bridesmaid dresses on some of the sites you've looked at - as long as you're going non-traditional, something may jump out at you.
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    I would look at evening gowns rather than wedding dresses
  • Brittany
    Dedicated September 2019
    Brittany ·
    Look at local boutiques and prom stores. I work in a boutique that carries bridal and prom and we sell prom to brides all the time! The prom dresses usually have the same shapes you can get in a wedding dress with beading, lace, etc. depending on what you’re looking for. The only thing is that they tend to not have a train. But it’s a good place to look.
  • Tricia
    Savvy August 2019
    Tricia ·
    David’s bridal has champagne. And really beautiful prom dresses of diff colors that look formal enough for a wedding.
  • Kirstian
    Dedicated October 2019
    Kirstian ·
    I managed to get mine from David's bridal and I adore it. They have a few nice dresses that aren't white this year. I hope you find your dress soon and easy. Best wishes

Where did you find your non-white gown? 1
  • Cynthia's and Robert  Wedding Day
    VIP September 2020
    Cynthia's and Robert Wedding Day ·
    I have a wedding dress similar to this and I got from a Quinceanera site. Or as others have suggested look at prom sites or ball gowns.

Where did you find your non-white gown? 2
  • Tina
    Rockstar March 2020
    Tina ·

What colour are you looking for? My wedding gown is lavender and got it at David's Bridal. If you are willing to get custom made you can look for a shop on etsy that gets good reviews.

• Mary
    Dedicated October 2019
    Mary ·
    I’m doing color and I went to a local dressmaker which is actually going to be a lot less then if I went to a store plus she throws in a veil a gift!
  • Monique
    Rockstar December 2019
    Monique ·
    Have you tried amazon? They have tons of really nice dresses that are all a part of amazon prime. (Free returns) worth a shot if you have prime.
  • Destiny
    Rockstar May 2020
    Destiny ·
    Maybe try jjshouse? But i agree look at places that do pron dresses or quincenera (?) Dresses
  • Penelope
    Beginner April 2020
    Penelope ·
    View Quoted Comment

I was hoping a dark purple. Lavender sounds really nice!

• Penelope
    Beginner April 2020
    Penelope ·
    View Quoted Comment

Looking at quince dresses never even occurred to me! they're always so colorful.

• Tina
    Rockstar March 2020
    Tina ·
    Similar to these?

My lavender dress is by Vera Wang but it's no longer sold.

Where did you find your non-white gown? 3

Where did you find your non-white gown? 4

Where did you find your non-white gown? 5
  • Bridget
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Bridget ·
    If you haven't gone in to try on what's available in person, I highly recommend doing that before eliminating certain color options. I found that every designer has a personal definition for 'champagne' vs 'nude' vs 'rose', and the dresses seemed to transform tone once I actually had them on. It's totally okay to be in the just-looking stage while you try on dresses!

Comment on this discussion