We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Stephanie
Savvy July 2021

What safety precautions are ya'll taking on the big day?

Stephanie, on November 12, 2020 at 6:50 PM Posted in Planning 0 39
Saved Save

Hi everyone, I'm getting married next Summer in SoCal but I'm thinking ahead in terms of different scenarios. If things are better by next Summer but not exactly completely normal I'm trying to figure out what precautions to have in place. Most of our families and bridal party are coming from out of town. So just wondering what plans everyone has or what safety precautions people are currently taking?

My ideas so far:

- No hugging anyone

- Masks (either required OR suggested for everyone but bride and groom)

- Hand sanitizer and masks available

- Possibly asking guests to have a negative test result within 72 hours of our wedding and to not see anyone outside of their household at least 10 days before our wedding day. (Unfortunately asking to quarantine for 2 weeks won't be possible because like I said most guests will be coming in from out of state.)

Thoughts? I know it's still a while away but these last few months have gone by pretty quickly.

39 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on November 14, 2020 at 5:28 PM
  • Nicole
    VIP September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    Hopefully receptions will be allowed in CA by next summer. If not, you’ll have to see what restrictions your venue has in place. Probably looking at no open dance floor, plated dinner, masked, tables limited to households only.
  • Jodie
    Dedicated April 2021
    Jodie ·
    • Flag
    I haven’t been to a wedding since the pandemic started and am not quite sure what to do with my own. I can definitely support wanting to be safe but I don’t agree with the not seeing anyone outside your household for 10 days. What are your guests supposed to do about work? You can’t expect them to take that much time off. Additionally, although you might have increased peace of mind with a recent covid test, there’s no guarantee that they didn’t pick it up at the store or traveling or anywhere really after being tested. These are just no-win decisions to make but good luck!
  • Stephanie
    Savvy July 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Well obviously I wouldn't ask my guests to not go to work, and I understand there is only so much we can do because yes it can be caught anywhere at any time. They're precautions, not guarantees.

• Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    It’s always good to plan but how do we really know what we’re going to be allowed to do next summer. I’m an April bride here & my fiancé just asked me if I started thinking of a plan B. I told him regardless, we’re getting married on 4/3/21. The only thing that might change is the guest list. There’s only so much we can do. Putting masks & hand sanitizers everywhere will help alleviate some fears.
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Woah I think requiring covid test results is too much. Little precautions for me. Just only elbow bumping and we are dining outside.
  • Stephanie
    Savvy July 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    There’s no such thing as “too much” during a pandemic.
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I disagree and many others do too, because if they agreed (even you) then they would be acting like those people in the Netflix film, ONLY. Look it up when you get a moment.
    In my opinion, I would not have a wedding instead of requiring guests to bring negative COVID 19 test results. I cancelled my wedding and now we are "eloping."
    Lets agree to disagree. Take care!

• K
    Dedicated January 2021
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    We are sticking to masks, we are bringing more masks and we are putting little gel bottles in each table. Masks on the dancefloor also. It's outdoors and it's a nice weather so we should be fine.
  • S
    Dedicated November 2020
    Shakiyla ·
    • Flag
    It’s best to do what works for you! We had a max of 6 people a table and tables were 6 ft apart. I sat people with their family or friends, had mask, sanitizer and food served by waiters. We also had the outside balcony available for guest to get fresh air as well.
    We went in with all safety precautions in place but once the DJ started going and drinks started to flow, people started to loosen up and get comfortable, people started to hug and dance. Most people kept their mask on but there were a few people that just forgot as the night went on. Also the people who weren’t comfortable with mixing and mingling stayed at their table, danced and interact from a distance or left.

I was really nerves as well leading up to my wedding day, but a lot of people assured me that they knew the possibilities of catching a virus when leaving home. Those who weren’t comfortable didn’t come and those who were did. It’s almost been a week everyone seems to be doing well. Just for safety precautions my husband and I are still “self quarantine” for the recommended 14 days just because we were in a group setting.
    Good Luck! No matter what you decide, it will all work out.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    Asking people not to see anyone outside of their household may be a bit much. What about the people who has to work? I think everything else is okay but just be mindful that some people may not get the rapid testing done unless you're offering to pay for it all.
  • RaylaSan
    Rockstar February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag

My wedding is this coming Feb. 2021, and what we're doing is providing face masks and gloves to guests. We won't be requiring people to wear face masks and gloves, but we'll put signs up encouraging people to wear them. We're putting hand sanitizing stations in every corner of the venue, and on every table. I'll also be making social distancing pins for people: red are for people that want to stay 6ft away and celebrate at a distance, yellow pins for those that want to chat but not touch, and green for people that are fine with hugging and chatting.

We won't be requiring people to provide a COVID test because where I'm from they can be very expensive, but we will encourage those that want to stay home to just watch our wedding livestream.

• RaylaSan
    Rockstar February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with Yasmine if you're going to require your guests to take a COVID test, you should be willing to pay for them.

• Monica
    Devoted August 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    I think it's good to start thinking about the kinds of precautions you might need but too early to start planning them if that makes sense. We've seen how quickly recommendations/restrictions can change this year and there's no way of knowing what those restrictions will be this early on. I know it's hard to wait (me too!) but I think that's the best plan for now.
  • T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

I think requiring a negative test to be granted admittance to a wedding is a bit...inappropriate. No one on these boards is the royal family, where the honor of being allowed to witness someone get married is worth jumping through a bunch of hoops, getting a security clearance, be forbidden from hugging, etc.

We are getting married in April (postponed) and we are planning to give out individual bottles of hand sanitizer. Guests can wear masks if they want

• Stephanie
    Savvy July 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We are getting married in SoCal where testing is free. Smiley smile

• Clarissa
    Just Said Yes December 2020
    Clarissa ·
    • Flag
    I had custom masks with our names and wedding date made (you still have time for conditions to change) but its a fun idea, and bought mini prefilled hand sanitizers with a custom label.
  • Stephanie
    Savvy July 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

As I had said in another comment I never said I'd ask guests to not work. I'm simply possibly *considering*, if things are not okay by then, asking guests to please be safe and social distance/wear masks etc 10 days prior to our wedding. Because truth be told we have people close to us who are at risk who want to and we want them to be part of our day. I want them to feel safe.

• Stephanie
    Savvy July 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

Hi, just wanted to say thank you for the kind answers and those who did not answer with a judgemental tone. I never said I'd ask my guests to not work ya'll, chill LOL. I'd simply consider asking them to please be smart/safe prior to the big day as to not spread a horrible virus. No harm there. If there is harm, don't come Smiley smile

Yes, things can absolutely be different come next summer. I'm hoping for the best, BUT I like to be prepared, hence my post. Testing is free where I live, which is where the guests would get tested (if we need to go that route.) Once again, everything is an IF right now. Remember there is a pandemic happening and people need to do what is right for them, so some of these things may not be right for you, but I care about safety so let me do me.

tenor.gif

• T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

I apologize if you interpreted my comment as rude, that wasn't my intent; and I didn't say you were or were not royalty, I said no one on these boards is (unless someone is holding out on us!). That includes me.

To me (and apparently to others), you do not get to dictate what your guests do before or after your wedding - if they go to work, church, out to dinner, visit a friend, whatever. Asking a guest to undergo a medical test to be allowed to go to your wedding is, to me, invasive. Edit: just because testing is free where you live doesn't mean it's free where people are coming from...so a guest has to travel to SoCal, then gets tested, it comes back positive and they don't go? And all that $$$ for nothing? Will you reimburse them?

You asked for people's thoughts on a public forum...some will disagree.

• Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I have no idea what I'll be doing for safety. I definitely want to make sure my guests are safe, but I don't even know if I will end up getting married in August. I'm just overwhelmed at the moment with things constantly changing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles