Samantha
Savvy November 2020

What is supposed to match color wise?

Samantha, on January 2, 2020 at 8:49 PM Posted in Style and Décor 0 32
Saved
So I am having a hard time planning what colors to pick, what florals I should use, and how to decorate. Is it all supposed to match? I have so many people giving opinions and questioning my decisions in a negative Manor that it seems like every time I make a decision....I end up rethinking it. This wedding planning has NOT been what I always imagined it to be. My theme is modern marble with elegant winter details. I want crisp and clean so I am trying to stay away from loud colors. I initially wanted a winter wonderland theme but we are in Florida and are having our wedding on the beach so that's pretty difficult to achieve.

My question is what aspects of the wedding need to match? My bridesmaids will be wearing dark emerald green dresses but I don't want to see that green all over my decorations. How do I pick my florals and can I have a different color added to the florals that isn't found anywhere else?

32 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on January 5, 2020 at 10:50 PM
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    You could pair a nice blush color and whites with the emerald green that would be subtle and very pretty. With a beach wedding you definitely want some color because of the white sand. What color are yours guys wearing. Your centerpieces can be simple but elegant.
  • Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We were thinking of having them wear a charcoal color with the emerald green tie/bow tie. I wanted our center pieces to also be modern with geometric terrariums and floating candles and other geometric pieces. I also don't want every table to have the same objects on them. I want maybe two or three different arrangements that are strategically placed. The blush is a good idea. I love the greyish blue that goes perfectly with the marble so I was going to incorporate silver and even gold.
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That all sounds beautiful.
  • Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Your ideas sound really lovely! Sometimes things are too matchy-matchy for me. You seem to be describing things that compliment each other, without all being identical. I love that!!
    Btw, everyone will have opinions. You won't always agree, and that's ok. Just never forget that you and your partner's opinion is what matters most for your special day. Never give up on the vision you want. Happy planning!
  • Ingrid
    VIP October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    Things don't have to match just compliment. Its your wedding, drown out the noise and do what you want.
  • Dierdra
    Super August 2021
    Dierdra ·
    • Flag

When you meet with your florists, Take/send pictures. My florist was able to take my pictures and sent me a contract ( with pictures) that looked exactly like what I wanted). Happy planning!

• Taylor
    VIP October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Your idea sounds gorgeous!! Throughout my wedding planning process, I've found that someone will ALWAYS have an opinion. There were complaints when we were going to do an outside ceremony. Then someone was unhappy that we chose a plated meal. Then the food wasn't good enough. I say IGNORE them. It's your wedding. If you're happy, that's all that mattersSmiley smile

• Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Cindy. It really helps to have someone's approval.
  • Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Christy! I wasn't vsure if I was being impossible or not or if I was even making sense. I really appreciate your input.
  • Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Ingrid. I am trying to not be such a people please for once in my life. Thank you for your support.
  • Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for your tip Dierdra! I will definitely do that. I appreciate your help.
  • Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It definitely seems similar to my situation. You are totally right though, no matter what I won't be able to make everyone happy. Thank you for sharing and for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
  • Becca
    Devoted October 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag

I definitely understand how frustrating and challenging it is to figure out what you want and have everyone around you giving opinions. My wedding (Oct. 26th, 2019) was on the beach in Florida. So my theme was beach theme - very cliche I know. But I just love the white sandy beaches in my hometown and knew more than 60% of our guests have not been to that area. My colors were teal and gold. So I tried to incorporate as much as I could. I'm not sure if you would consider this to be too matchy matchy, but I wanted to show you what I did. For my centerpieces, I have a gold charger, a jar full of the beach sand, painted teal shells, and glitter-mod podge white candle. The vendor had some more shells and sprinkled them on the remaining tables (sign in, cocktail, cake, gifts, maybe the buffet table). The vendors loved how simple I kept it. And as far as having my colors incorporated in everything for decorations, I only had centerpieces so it was not overwhelming with teal and gold on everything. As far as flowers, we kept it very very simple. My ladies wore a teal (David's bridal oasis) dress and carried single ivory rose with a gold ribbon tied around the stem. The men had similar ivory rose with a gold material behind the rose and teal ribbon. Unfortunately for me, the guy's flowers did not turn out the way I envisioned and discussed with the florist. So we were scrambling to get them to fix right before the wedding. For my boutique, I went with a light blue, blush, and ivory flowers.

And as far as not having a winter wonderland themed wedding because you are in Fl means nothing. If that is the theme you want to have, go for it. I mean don't expect people to show up in fur coats and fresh snow on the ground. My friend had her second wedding (same husband - this was her family wedding) had a winter wonderland/Christmas themed wedding in Panama City Beach (2018). She a little wreath around a candle for her centerpieces.

My biggest suggestion for you, start building your centerpieces and see how you like them. If you don't like them then you have plenty of time to shop around to find what you actually like. As previously stated, everyone has their opinions and might even have their own opinion on your wedding. But it's your wedding and you should get the design you want. The way we came up with this centerpiece was trial and error. We put the sand, shells, and candle in the jar. Noticed it was too boring not flashy enough. Everything blended in. And this is how we ended up with painted shells and our own glitter candles.

I hope this helps you. In the end, your wedding is going to be beautiful. It's going to be fun. You are going to be sitting around a few months later still talking about the fun memories you had on your wedding day.

What is supposed to match color wise? 1

The beautiful ladiesWhat is supposed to match color wise? 2The handsome gentlemenWhat is supposed to match color wise? 3
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I feel like as long as all the colors compliment each other everything doesn’t always have to be the same color. In fact I think it looks better when everything isn’t all the same color.

Our bridesmaid dresses were like a light turquoise color, but the only other things that were that color were our invitations, and I believe our menu at the reception. All the other “decor” was pretty much just gold and ivory. Flowers were white and light pink.
  • Suzie
    Super October 2021
    Suzie ·
    • Flag

You def don’t need to match, but you should coordinate. My colors are: plum for BM dresses, MOH in burgundy, and I plan to use blush/dusty rose, deep purple and white for flowers. I recommend going on Pinterest for ideas, and pin like crazy! I have so many boards for different things - bouquets, centerpieces, decor, makeup... I swear, Pinterest was made for wedding planning lol. There are SO many flower and decorating options, you just gotta find your style. I originally wanted peonies for my bouquet, but as a fall bride, they are not really available. My florist recommended other flowers that look similar (garden roses and ranauculous). You can share images with your vendors on what you like, and they can make suggestions based on that. It’s what they do! Good luck!

• Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow Becca thank you for everything! I really appreciate your input, photos, and explanations. Your wedding looks like it was beautiful.
  • Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Gen. I appreciate you explaining where you used your bridesmaids colors and how you complimented the colors. This really helps.
  • Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for the beautiful visual Suzie. Those sound like Beautiful fall colors. I absolutely love Pinterest and use it ceaselessly. Thank you for the tip for the flowers I can substitute.
  • Becca
    Devoted October 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! It was so much fun. You will definitely figure out what you want/like.

Just don’t worry to much about the details. In the end it’s all about celebrating your new beginnings with the love of your life.
  • Samantha
    Savvy November 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You're so right. It has been fun when I can focus on just that, marrying the love and light of my life. Thanks girl🙂

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics