We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Haley
Dedicated August 2021

Wedding Officiant

Haley, on June 17, 2019 at 9:35 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 12
Saved Save

Hey Ladies! I am trying to find a wedding officiant for my August 06, 2021 wedding, but every person I am finding is charging way too much. Where can I go about finding a cheap officiant in or around the dubois, pa area?

12 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag

Try Thumbtack or ask a friend or family member to officiate if that's legal in your state.

• Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I have tried thumbtack, but I didn't have any luck. My venue recommended not getting a friend or family member to do it. She said if turns out not to be legal then that way we don't have to find out the hard way that we actually aren't married.

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    What do you consider way too much? Could you save some money over the next 2 years or cut the budget from another part of the wedding?
  • Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

500 + dollars is too expensive. Yes, I could save money and we are, but out of everything; I would rather spend a lot of money on venue, DJ, caterer, and honeymoon then spend a lot of money on the officiant. Especially since neither of us are religious, so as long as we get to say I do to one another, we do not care who marries us as long as it is affordable.

• Steph
    Dedicated June 2019
    Steph ·
    • Flag

In PA you can self unite. We self united our marriage but had my best friend "officiate" our wedding. It was much easier and personal this way. She knew us and made a really good wedding script. It only cost $50 for the wedding license and just tell them you are self uniting when you apply

• Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    What exactly is self uniting though?
  • Steph
    Dedicated June 2019
    Steph ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It's really just so it is legal. Say you didn't want to have anyone marry you, you and your fiancé just decided you would say your vows together without a 3rd party it allows you to do that. You fill out your marriage license and the date you married and send it back to the courts. Or in my situation, I wanted a small intimate wedding and my close friend to marry us and my marriage to be legal because shes not ordained or anything. With self uniting I can fill out my marriage license and everything so it is legal.

• Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh okay. I looked it up.. it is also only legal in certain counties in PA.

• Steph
    Dedicated June 2019
    Steph ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You can go to any county to get your marriage license. It doesn't have to be the county you are marrying in.

• Steph
    Dedicated June 2019
    Steph ·
    • Flag

You could easily call you Clerk of Court Record office and they will answer any questions you have about it. It's the cheapest way to get married legally in PA in you don't have a religious church you go to

• Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay. I will have to think about it. We aren't even getting married in a church. We are getting married outside on a farm with our reception being inside a barn.
  • Isabella
    Dedicated June 2020
    Isabella ·
    • Flag
    In MA you can have someone ordained for one day to marry you (like a family member or friend). Our state also has a limit on how much a Justice of the Peace is allowed to charge and I think lots of other states do too, although we found most upcharge for “custom ceremonies” we did find some JOPs who charged the state mandated minimum.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles