Skip to main content
Deidra
Savvy September 2021

Wedding Night Lingerie: Is it worth it?

Deidra, on July 24, 2021 at 4:28 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 3 24
Saved

I am unsure what forum to put this in or if it's even an appropriate thing to ask here, but I feel slightly less awkward asking strangers behind a keyboard than asking my mother at all, so just putting this out there:

After the reception was over & you & your new wife/husband went to where you were turning in for the night: was there any energy left for romantic endeavors?

I'm sitting here looking up bridal &/or white lingerie & something dawned on me. That wedding day is going to be LONG & I anticipate stress on top of possibly not sleeping well the night prior because jitters. The party will be lots of fun, lots of energy. What's going to realistically happen when we leave the reception? Am I really going to feel like putting on something sensual, or am I going to want to take that dress, shoes & shapewear off, take my hair down, wash my face & go the heck to SLEEP.

24 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on February 2, 2022 at 10:15 AM
  • Lauren
    Expert July 2021
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    Bring it with you and if it doesn’t get worn that night then bring it on the honeymoon!
  • Yasmine
    Master October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    I didn't wear any lingerie after marrying my husband, I actually don't even buy or anymore because it's pointless for us. No we didn't go right to sleep after getting married 😉, but I definitely wasn't changing to lingerie after taking my dress off.
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    By the time we were alone, we were exhausted. There was no intimate time that night. In talking with several of my married friends, that seems to be the common experience. You can always wear the lingerie on your honeymoon, as a PP suggested, if you really want to buy some. Lingerie is totally optional.
  • E
    Super July 2023
    Eniale ·
    • Flag

I admit we were young (19 and 21), but there was no way we were going to bed after our wedding without some nookie.

I didn't have any lingerie, though - just a very cute pair of panties that I wore under my dress. Not anything that said bride or anything, just a brand new pair of some cute little things in a style I knew my husband liked (he's a simple man). No bra because my dress was a corset and had cups built in.

• Katie
    Expert August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    You don't have to wear it the wedding night, you could save it for the honeymoon. I'm saving my lingerie for our honeymoon.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    If you want it, it’ll be a fun surprise for your honeymoon or even during your first few months this of marriage.

We were exhausted wedding night. And my husband was really sick and for most of our honeymoon.
  • Jai
    VIP May 2020
    Jai ·
    • Flag
    I bought a cute white lace thong that had MRS engraved on the front and had a few sexy items. We weren't too tired to go at it after the wedding either 😜
  • Cool
    Super July 2020
    Cool ·
    • Flag
    Yeah we were exhausted and just went to bed.
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

I feel like changing out of what you are wearing into lingerie just to remove it 30 seconds later always feels pointless. I've never found sexy lingerie that I can actually wear under my clothes (anything lacy shows through and its rarely comfortable at all) so I don't bother. My husband had ZERO energy left for anything by the time we tucked in.

I would also consider where you are staying. We had a 3 bedroom AirBnB on site for our wedding and offered the other rooms for people to crash in if they didn't feel like driving home. We ended up not having anyone stay with us, but if we had it likely would have interrupted any plans for intimacy even if we did have the energy. We are pretty private in that regard and enjoy ourselves more when not sharing a thin wall with someone we know on the other side.

I think bridal lingerie is just another way to make your wedding more expensive. If you want to buy something cute that you can wear later go for it, but I would absolutely skip buying anything that you can only see yourself wearing on your wedding night.

• Michelle
    Rockstar December 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Various women I have chatted with say to save it for the honeymoon.
  • B
    VIP July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag

Not only were we tired but we were *sweaty* (July, Alabama lol). We went home, put away leftover food, and took a shower. By the time we had done that, we were both ready to crash, so definitely no intimate activity that evening (the next morning was a whole 'nother story).

Like PPs have suggested, I brought several cute lingerie items on our honeymoon and put them to good use.

• Samantha
    VIP October 2022
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I will probably buy some pretty stuff for the honeymoon but anticipate being in yoga pants and a big tshirt that night!
  • Lisa
    Super October 2021
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I’m not going to change from my dress into lingerie on our wedding night. I plan to wear sexy panties (wearing a Ballgown) and no bra under my dress. I’m banking on him wanting some action that night. On the honeymoon I’ll have a piece of lingerie - he requested red.
  • Tiffany
    Savvy May 2022
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    As someone who wears the most unflattering pajamas to bed every night, I purchased cute white lace jammies for the wedding night that are equally sexy and comfortable. I’ll save the more sensual stuff for the honeymoon but this was a happy medium for me.
  • Samantha
    Expert December 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I look at lingerie as something I can wear AFTER the wedding. I haven't bought a lot of "bride" or "Mrs" stuff since I want to use stuff longterm without monograms. But that's MY preference. If you want to get lingerie for your wedding night then get it! Smiley smile
  • Betty
    Dedicated July 2021
    Betty ·
    • Flag

I really tried to find something sexy (not necessarily “bridal” for our wedding night/honeymoon but because of the Covid crazy world & most “changing rooms” not being open yet in my area (including Victoria Secret ones) & being on the busty side I couldn’t find anything which really worked. So I shopped in my lingerie drawer & found something I hadn’t worn in years (we have been together almost 12) & I bought a really cute pair of panties I knew he would love & made those work 😉 both on the wedding night & honeymoon.

We actually had friends to our suite for a bit after our reception ended, the guys got pizza delivery & we visited for awhile. As others have said that night didn’t have much besides sleep going on but the morning was a completely different story! 😉😉

• Sydney
    Dedicated October 2021
    Sydney ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé told me he thinks it’s very unlikely we will want to have sex the night of our wedding given how tired we will be. He and I are planning to share an Airbnb with my bridesmaids the wedding night. We want to focus on hanging out with friends for the weekend of the wedding and then we have plenty of time for alone time/sex during our 3 week honeymoon!
  • Danette
    Beginner October 2021
    Danette ·
    • Flag

Happy you felt confident to share this and gain some insight. From my perspective it is a long very stressful day even if you have hired a wedding planner / coordinator. So much mental energy is used for this event, starting from the nervousness to the overall excitement throughout the day, including dancing and always being on your feet. Both you and your partner will be tired and (possibly a little buzzed from drinking, if you both drink) and with lack of food (as yes, you may not have time to sit down and eat or truly enjoy your meal) will be super exhausted from the day. I have been married before and from experience, the last thing that my husband cared for is that I was wearing lingerie at the end of the evening. If you ask most men, being naked suits them just fine. I would save your lingerie purchases for a special night down the road or to surprise your partner for a night of pleasure. This will bring more value to the buy and to your partner. Then again, some men don't care for lingerie because again they prefer to see us naked. I think it's best to feel out what your partner is interested in before you make such a purchase.

• VIP August 2020
    ·
    • Flag

Think about how easily you can take off your wedding dress. Mine isn't that complicated, but the thing at the top of the zipper was a little bit hard to undo, so I needed help getting out of it. We both had enough energy and motivation to do stuff afterward, but it wouldn't have made sense for me to put more clothes on after he'd already helped me undress.

• C
    Master January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    The wedding night was a priority for us. Our reception ended around 9 and it was probably 9:30(ish) when we got home. That probably makes a difference compared to parties that go til midnight or later! but we definitely consummated our marriage in our wedding night!
    If you make it a priority, it can and will happen. Yes it will be a long day. Yes you will be tired. You have to both decide if it’s important to you or if you are fine waiting til the next day (or when ever). My cousin didn’t get to as her AF decided to show up! It make sure you are both comfortable with what you decide.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics