We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kylee
Dedicated April 2022

Wedding Budget?

Kylee, on April 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM Posted in Planning 1 35
Saved Save
What was your original budget and what was your final bill? We’re you over or under? Trying to find where i can cut back on my $12,000 budget. Our theme is very minimalistic as it is

35 Comments

Latest activity by Laquita, on April 28, 2020 at 7:40 PM
  • Amy
    Dedicated August 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    What state? That is a huge factor. We set a max of 12 and came in at just over 10.
  • Kylee
    Dedicated April 2022
    Kylee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our wedding will be in Utah
  • Amy
    Dedicated August 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Depending on cost of living there I would think it would be doable. We live in CA but eventually will he getting married in WI on family land next to a beautiful river.
    We kept our wedding party small bc their gifts and stuff add up. So 2 BM, 2 GM, 1 FG, 1 RB and 2 ushers.
    We didn't do an all inclusive reception place. We got a local hall that over looks another river. Skipped out on wedding favors and any extra print outs that just end up in the trash. Made our own basic centerpieces. I'm sure there is more but I cant think of it at the moment. I was determined to only do 10gs. My dress is what got me slightly over.....
  • A
    Beginner August 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag
    30, but it's pushing 40 if factoring in honeymoon. Unfortunately, our original head count was 25-35 short, and those extra seats add up in NY
  • Michelle
    VIP September 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Our original budget was between 12-15K which was a complete joke for where we live (Maryland)...we haven't married yet but we're close to 30K which is pretty reasonable/ standard for where we are. I honestly had no idea how expensive weddings were and that budget was set before I actually did my research. Things we didn't include in the budget were our attire and honeymoon.

The minalmitic approach is so cute for weddings. You can get pretty creative but there are some things that you will just have to pay for. What have you done or booked so far?
  • Karla
    Super February 2020
    Karla ·
    • Flag
    We originally said $30-40k until we started figuring out exactly how much things cost and what our ideal wedding would actually cost us. We upped it to around $70k.

We came in around $120k. That didn’t include our wedding bands, my engagement ring (my husband paid for that so that was purchase before planning and without me lol), our wedding gifts to each other or our honeymoon.
    Our wedding was in Southern California (San Diego county) and we hosted a welcome dinner, after party and other events as well.
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    We’re having a small wedding, limited to close family and friends. So we only set $20k for 60 guests. We’re done with booking/planning and have nearly reached the budget.... and still have to select the honeymoon. So after we book the honeymoon, purchase any misc. items and pay vendor tips, we’ll probably be a bit above... but nothing excessive. Plus with COVID-19, we might have fewer guests travel/ show up , which might shift the final costs. 😉
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

We didn't set a firm budget, but took a look at averages, what we wanted, and what we could get, and aimed to keep it "reasonable".

But we got married in NYC, so that's a very subjective term.

In the end, it was about $30k or so, which is *cheap* in NYC, but a blow out in most other places. We saved on my dress (sample sale), flowers (fake), and size (ended up being about 80 people), plus we got a massive deal on the photographer because we knew someone, and the videographer because she was my coworker.

• Courtney
    Super September 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    I would have a spreadsheet with your budget and all the expenses you expect it to cover. Our budget was not set to cover our honeymoon (we knew we’d be delaying that), rings or our gifts to each other. We still ended going about $5k over because we spent slightly more on food/drinks than expected (at rehearsal, after party, cupcakes) and decorations. Depending on the location, size, and what “extras” you include or don’t your budget is do-able, just be strict with yourselves!
  • Kayse
    Expert December 2020
    Kayse ·
    • Flag

We really didn't set a firm budget, but we have gotten really good deals just by some research and a bit of luck. I'm in Kentucky where things are probably not as expensive as other places, but we rented a beautiful space in an art gallery for $1,000. It accommodates 80; we are thinking more like 60 - 70. Then we chose a local restaurant to cater; the owner is extremely kind and we were shocked when he quoted us under $500 for the food. We can bring in our own alcohol, so we'll just need to hire a bartender. So far the most expensive thing is the honeymoon at just over $3,000.

• Alexis
    Savvy July 2021
    Alexis ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We originally said 10k because we don't want anything flashy or extravagant, but once we made our guest list (was 150, we ended up inviting 120), we increased the budget to 20k. The majority of what we are spending is on our venue and food (our estimated price is 13k). The next most expensive thing is the videographer and photographer, and then we're trying to save on everything else. We are making our bridal party gifts things that they will wear on the day (mines are jewelry sets and his are wooden watches), the florist is only doing my bouquet and the altar decor (for all else we are using fake flowers). If you're flexible on the guest count, that's the best way to save money. Also consider having your big day at a restaurant-- the ones we saw, many didn't have rental fees, and the food minimums are reasonable.
  • Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    I started at $12k but after a year and a half engagement and things being way more expensive than we realized, it ended up at about 22k
  • Sara
    Devoted August 2021
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    We are spending about $15,000. We cut back with flowers. The only flowers we are having is my bouquet, and some flowers for the cake decorations. Wedding guest count 150.
  • Taylor
    VIP October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Thought we could do it for $15k. We're coming in at around $30k if you include the honeymoon. $6k was given to us from my parents and FH's parents are covering the rehearsal dinner. The rest is out of our pocketSmiley smile

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I changed mine so many times aha. originally it was $10k then $12k then $15k but final was $16.2k

• Kaitlin
    Dedicated January 2022
    Kaitlin ·
    • Flag

My original idea was it would probably be around 20K, and our current estimates are around 30K. I have everything outlined on a spread sheet with estimated costs and plug in real cost whenever we purchase anything related to the wedding.

• Jenn
    Dedicated May 2021
    Jenn ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married in Kentucky and we had originally set our budget to 15k and during the planning process we came to accept that we may go over budget by a few thousand.
    We so far have photographer, videographer, venue, catering, DJ, DOC and we are at 13k.

But in saying that, I have researched day and night for weeks and months to find more affordable alternatives. I managed to find a videographer that was just a photographer who is starting the video side, so she was a lot cheaper than others which saved us tons. Instead of a sit down course meal, we are doing a pizza food truck which meant we didn't need china plates and real forks and knives, only doing a cake for the wedding party and family and donuts for guests, we are not doing florists but renting flowers/bouquets which saved us A LOT.
    The wedding industry is no joke and you will almost always end up spending much more, but I think it's definitely doable on a lower budget if we are willing to give up a few things! Things that guests won't even remember anyway!
  • Autumn
    Devoted July 2020
    Autumn ·
    • Flag

We are inviting 40 people and our wedding is on family land as well and we are entirely DIY flowers/decor (mixture of sola wood flower arrangements I made and natural landscaping throughout venue). We received a gifted budget from family of $10k which we will use for decor ($500), tent and all rentals ($3.5k), photography ($2.5k), catering ($1.5k), music (TBD), etc. and we will be within our budget. Our budget does not include our attire, rings, photographs/album purchased after wedding, parent gifts, cake topper, marriage license fee, and other personal purchases we have and plan on purchasing ourselves (as well as supplies for me to make our cake!). If we have to cut the ceremony down to 10 people due to Corona-virus, we will only spend about $5-6k total depending on if the rental company will let us change/cancel quantities of everything. We did already sign a contract but they said they are working with people and already let me cancel the rental of our wedding arch when my dad told me he is building me one! Smiley heart

• Autumn
    Devoted July 2020
    Autumn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's so great! Where are you planning to honeymoon?

• Laquita
    Expert July 2021
    Laquita ·
    • Flag

Looking at these budgets and made me feel so small lol Our budget is only $2k, we're looking at city facilities which cost so much less & our families are helping us with decorations+food. We've opted to spend more on our honeymoon and we're also looking for a place to live.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics