Alison
Savvy August 2020

Venue not giving us the option to postpone

Alison, on May 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM Posted in Community Conversations 1 24
Saved
Our wedding date is in August and it’s out of state and at this point I’m just not having a good feeling about it. Our venue won’t give us the option the postpone, the only way we can move our date is if we cancel, lose all the money we paid, and pick another date. Does anyone else think this is wrong? Maybe it’s just me, but I think that venues should be more understanding about people wanting to move their date with everything going on right now.

24 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on May 30, 2020 at 4:46 PM
  • Teresa
    Devoted September 2020
    Teresa ·
    • Flag
    We were able to move our April 2020 wedding to September 2020 without a fee or any issues at all. I'm wondering if your venue is not allowing it right now just because August is still 3months away. Did they tell you why or give you any information?
  • A
    Super December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    Have you looked at your contract to see if they have anything related to a force majeure event?
    Like PP said it’s possible that they currently think you can still have your wedding since it’s in 3 months (especially if the state is opening up) so they might not think that you’ll need to postpone.
  • Alison
    Savvy August 2020
    Alison ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t know why they wouldn’t at least give the option to move it? Idk doesn’t make sense to me. We still have a lot of planning to do and a lot of it we can’t do because things are closed and we have to do a lot of out of state traveling.
  • A
    Super December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Idk, from what I’ve seen on these forums, each venue has been reacting differently to postponing/cancelling. Some have allowed to postpone but have required additional fees, some have been super nice and worked well with couples.
    I know it completely sucks, you’d think that they would realize that this is out of your control, but they’re just thinking about their business and thinking of it as they’re going to lose money.
    I can’t be certain of their reasoning, nor do I believe what they’re doing is nice but those might be some reasons. I would read your contract and see if you have any recourse in case of a force majeure.
  • Leanne
    Super September 2020
    Leanne ·
    • Flag
    Look at your contract, specifically the part about cancellation, etc. If you have anyone you know that’s a lawyer, maybe have them look it over for you.

My guess is it’s too far out for the venue to want to initiate any postponements. Ours was the same way, but once the state was shut down they had no choice and neither did we we postponed at no financial loss
  • J
    Expert May 2021
    Jaime ·
    • Flag

I was in the same boat near the end of April. Our stay at home order was extended for most of May and I reached out to the venue. They were confident things would be good for our date and wouldn't work with us on a Plan B. I was super disappointed but tried to sit tight. They just emailed us to say they are working through the July brides to offer a Plan B and to expect an email next week. We are July 25th and coming up on 2 months out, so I think they have no choice but to accept that it may not be advisable to host weddings then. So... while I can't promise your venue will do the same, my guess is they are thinking it is too soon to offer this option and as more information comes in they will contact you.

• E
    Devoted July 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I would wait until it gets closer. Our venue wasn’t going to charge us but was limiting what we could postpone our date to. I waited a couple weeks when new information got released about reopening and by that point their policy had changed and I was freely able to move my date without issue.
  • Kenzie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kenzie ·
    • Flag

I am in the exact same position! What state are you in?

I've been talking to my venue since March and it's been super frustrating. They keep telling me they will only allow me to cancel/postpone one month before, but that is absolutely ridiculous. Did they give you any information, when they will allow you to make the decision without penalties?

• T
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Tiffani ·
    • Flag
    I agree with you! We are going through the same thing here in Northern Illinois. I really don't think we'll be able to have a 200 person wedding at the end of November. The venue owner is so hard to work with and refuses to let us pick a new date until 60 days before our original wedding date, if the governor says only 50 people at a wedding. Otherwise, we'd lose over $4,000. It's just not fair and I'm feeling all the emotions today 😭 Hang in there, you're not alone on this
  • E
    Dedicated September 2020
    E.F. ·
    • Flag
    I know in my experience my venue is not allowing postponements of wedding past july at this point in time. maybe as the time gets closer they will allow
  • Alison
    Savvy August 2020
    Alison ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m sorry you’re going through this too. I’m in northern Illinois but our venue is in southwest Michigan. They’ve told me that they’re not allowing anyone to postpone unless the CDC forces them to close. So do I continue to put money into it just to be told I have to move it two weeks before it’s supposed to happen? I haven’t ordered invitations and I’m scared to because if I have to switch the date that’s money I’m throwing away. None of the guys have their tuxes yet and all the stores are closed so they can’t go. The place I bought my dress from isn’t allowing people to come in so I can’t get my dress altered. It’s just so frustrating. I’d rather be able to move it to next year.
  • Alison
    Savvy August 2020
    Alison ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So sorry you’re going through this too ): it’s SO frustrating. We’re in northern IL too but our venue is in southwest MI. They basically told us we can’t move our date at all unless the CDC forces them to close which we wouldn’t know until the month of the wedding. I haven’t even sent out invitations yet because I don’t want to throw away more money. It’s so frustrating because a lot of our guests are coming from out of state and I have a feeling no one will be able to make it.
  • Kenzie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kenzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Honestly, we are going through the SAME exact thing. I got in touch with my venue and they said they think by August they will be able to have 250 people...I highly doubt we go from 10 to 250 in that timespan. Plus the county, isn't even in Phase I so I'm just frustrated with the lack of realistic expectations on their end.I wouldn't order invitations..like you I'm not throwing about $800-$1000 to have everything not happen. Also, exactly same situation with my dress and the groomsman's suits. I feel you on everything. At this point if they let me cancel I will. I don't like how they are handling this situation at all.

As far as I've heard the CDC is still suggesting social distancing and groups of no more than 10..I don't know much about Michigan and how they are doing but I just don't see many states being able to have large weddings, and if they do I think its irresponsible. But again thats just my opinion. My fiance's best friend is a lawyer so we may ask him to look over our contract and see what he thinks.

• Ava
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Ava ·
    • Flag

Exactly that situation is happening to us right now. Our venue is demanding 50% of our site fee (basically another deposit, it's about $4k) in order to reschedule our July 2020 wedding. We asked a lawyer and they said there's no legal obligation on the venue's end to do anything beyond the original contract they signed with you. However if your local and state laws prohibit your ability to even hold an event, you can, according to our lawyer, use that as leverage. I live in a state where the state has extended our stay at home orders, so I''m using that as a reason to demonstrate that they can't force me into the two choices of either to hold a wedding that might not even be allowed in July this year or pay a fee to reschedule for something that the state will probably mandate be rescheduled anyways. I am angry and honestly feel like they are trying to profit off of us more than they would have if COVID didn't happen. It's gross.

• Ava
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Jaime, my original wedding date was July 25 too! Can I ask what state your venue is in? My CA venue is giving me really, really unreasonable and limited choices to reschedule (all of which require a ridiculous loss of money on our part).

• Kenzie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kenzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for the insight! Also the CDC just released a draft of their "revised" guidelines. Phase II limits gatherings to 50, and Phase III says social distancing has to occur. So unless you can spread people 6 feet apart...don't think even in Phase III many places will be having large weddings.

• Ava
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We mentioned that to the venue and they basically said it’s not their problem because we are the ones inviting people. Theoretically, according to them, we don’t “have to” have 200 people at our wedding. We could just invite 50, for example.

I don’t agree with the logic of that since I signed up for a 200-person wedding contract, but that’s the argument they have been giving us.
  • Kenzie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kenzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We also have in our contract 200 people. I would question them about that and say if we are sticking to the contract it says 200 people have to be accommodated for. You can pick and choose what you follow in a contract, doesn’t work like that.
  • J
    Expert May 2021
    Jaime ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm in WI. Currently we know we must choose between available dates within one calendar year of our current date, which I understand. So sorry that you are being put in the position of losing money. It isn't like you are just choosing to switch things up - maybe their tune will change the closer you get to the date?
  • Mel H
    Savvy June 2021
    Mel H ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Omg this is awful!! I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I’m getting married in CA too. Which venue is this??

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics