We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Mrscolón
Super September 2019

Two Father Daughter Dances

Mrscolón, on June 4, 2019 at 7:41 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 4
Saved Save
We are just under four months away from our big day (holy cow, it is coming fast now)!! I am trying to decide on songs for the wedding. Most importantly, the songs to dance to with my stepdad and dad.

I am having some trouble finding the right ones. My parents were divorced when I was two, and my stepdad came into the picture shortly after. I grew up loving him as my dad, and he will be the one to walk me down the aisle. I’ve come across a few songs that fit, but nothing I have fallen in love with yet.

My biological dad was in and out of the picture for years until six years ago. Over the years, he has always come to special events, and he has a solid relationship with my mom and stepdad. I will share a dance with him but he will not walk me down the aisle (this was a decision I made and spoke to him about, and he 100% agreed because he is thankful for my stepdad stepping in and would never want to take that special moment away from him). This is the hardest song for me to find.

I would love to know which songs you have chosen, especially if you are in a similar situation to myself!

4 Comments

Latest activity by Sara, on June 10, 2019 at 1:05 PM
  • Kelsie
    Devoted August 2019
    Kelsie ·
    • Flag

My relationship with my father isn't super close, but he will be walking me down the aisle and we will have a dance together. FH ans his mother aren't super close either, but they've been closer over the last few years and he didn't want to make me dance for an entire song with my dad by myself, so we've opted for joint dances. Not sure if that's something you would even be interested in or have thought about?

I chose an acoustic/strings version of Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses because of my father, and it's super pretty. So I'll dance with my dad for a few, then FH and his mom will join in. And then I may even switch off and dance with my brother and FH will dance with his grandmother since they are really close.

I'm not sure if this is any help at all, but I hope it can be. I chose to do an acoustic version of Sweet Child O' Mine too because I didn't really want any sappy father/daughter songs since we aren't that close, so maybe you could choose a sweet one for your stepdad and then an acoustic one for your dad? I was looking for other songs too and there are tons of playlists on YouTube of wedding songs and specific kinds of songs like these - that helped me a lot!

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    My dad wasn’t around much growing up...think I saw him maybe 2-3 times throughout my childhood. My parents also split up when I was 2. However, we’ve been working on our relationship throughout my adult years. I wanted a song that didn’t sound like he was my hero, or the one that raised me....because he wasn’t. I ended up picking “I Loved Her First” by heartland, because even though he wasn’t the world’s greatest father, he did love me first, and the song doesn’t depict him as anything he wasn’t (to an extent...because it’s hard to find a song that is completely anti great dad).
  • Clíodhna
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2030
    Clíodhna ·
    • Flag

Hi there!

It's wonderful you will get to share a dance with both of them on your big day Smiley heart

For the dance with your dad, do you like any of the below ideas?

“One Call Away” by Charlie Puth
    “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac

“Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder

“She’s A Rainbow" by The Rolling Stones

“What A Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong
  • Sara
    Expert June 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag

Hi! I'm still working on this too.... My dad and step-dad are both walking me down the aisle, one on each arm. We're doing two father-daughter dances too. My dad picked My Wish For You by Rascal Flatts, and I still don't have a song for step dad... My sister had suggested He Didn't Have to Be by Brad Paisley, maybe you like that one?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles