Kara
Just Said Yes May 2020

Traveling with wedding dress

Kara, on May 22, 2019 at 4:59 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 11
Saved Save

Hello,

I'm getting married in Las Vegas, how do I travel with my wedding dress? or do I have it shipped to the hotel I'm staying at? Any ideas or suggestions?

11 Comments

• Keary
    Expert May 2019
    Keary ·
    You can fly with it! Put it in a garment bag and make sure you book flights with a first class so you can put it in their closets. The stewardesses were super helpful when I flew with mine.
  • Kara
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Kara ·
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you Keary

• Mandi
    Super March 2020
    Mandi ·
    Carry on.
    Dont ship.
    It sounds easier, but I think I'd be a mess til it got there. Too many things could go wrong.
    I just picture it falling out of a truck and repeatedly getting run over by semis.
    But I just like to worry.
  • Kara
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Kara ·
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks Mandi,

I was thinking the same thing, I would be worried about my dress the entire time. Thank you for the advice.

• Kristin
    Super November 2019
    Kristin ·

My friend flew with hers to Costa Rica. She bought a heavy duty garment bag and put the original bag inside that... so essentially double wrapping it. We flew Southwest so there was no first class option and they would not let us use the closet. She held onto it until everyone was on the plane then laid it across the top of everyone's bags in the overhead. It worked out just fine. She did have a more mermaid style dress though, so not puffy... if your's is more poofy it might not work so well.

• Tamera
    Dedicated May 2020
    Tamera ·

I would check with the airline. Most of the time you can make special accommodations beforehand to ensure that everything runs smoothly. I will be dealing with the same thing since I bought my dress in Wisconsin (where I grew up) and will be getting married in North Carolina (where I currently live). I would also make sure that you are transporting it with plenty of time before the wedding in case something happens and you would need last minute fixes or alterations.

• Kara
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Kara ·

Thank you everyone for the advice, I now have ideas any options to consider

• S
    Devoted October 2019
    Sara ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I actually saw that happen on the show airline (it follows southwest and actual travelers/employees). The girl checked her dress as luggage on her way to her wedding and it fell of the truck that brings the luggage to the plane and got run over 😭😭. Definitely keep it with you at all times! I’ve heard of people calling the airline ahead of time to make sure there’s a closet on the plane and to see what they can do to accommodate. I even know one girl who bought a seat just for her dress and buckled it in right next to her!
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    Kara, if your gown is poufy, ship it!! As someone who has gone out of the country with huge ballgowns for formal functions, I found shipping easiest. I insure my package for a large amount and send it to the concierge, or maybe in your case a wedding planner. I know it is scary, but my gowns were so large the airlines would not let me carry them. I've never lost one. Usually do Fed-ex 2 day.
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Ha! Ha! I guess you could buy your gown a seat!
  • Kara
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Kara ·

Thank you Victoria, I appreciate your advice. I probably will fly with my gown, I'm getting married in Vegas so my gown won't be that poufy,

Comment on this discussion