C
Savvy January 2022

To cancel or not

Candice, on July 28, 2021 at 6:59 PM Posted in Planning 0 48
Saved
Reply
Hey all! So originally my wedding was supposed to be January 30th of this year. Because of covid we rescheduled for January 29th 2022. With all this Delta and Lambda variant stuff and the CDC going back to saying everyone should wear masks again even if vaccinated, I'm wondering if maybe I should cancel. Anyone else 6 months out and freaking out about it getting as bad as it was 6 months ago?

48 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on August 1, 2021 at 12:19 AM
  • I_Do_Too
    Dedicated September 2020
    I_Do_Too ·
    • Flag
    We are 3 months out uggghb
    • Reply
  • I
    Expert August 2021
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    I say stick it out. I wouldn't change anything just yet!
    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    What would you think of ordering a second set of enclosure cards that would say masks required in the proper way and that way I can switch them out if in September when the invitations have to go out I can send them out if masks are still needed.
    • Reply
  • Rosie
    Rockstar February 2022
    Rosie ·
    • Flag

    With 6 months to go, I would also stick it out and see how things go over time.

    For context - we are 50 or so days out from our wedding, and where I live, we are dealing with the delta strain, and our entire state is in lockdown as cases continue to rise. Our wedding is about an hour and a bit from our home, and currently, we are unable to travel there, and nor are our guests. We cannot travel further than 10km at present, and the current lockdown restrictions will remain in place until the end of August, which means I can't get my dress altered in time for our current wedding date, even if the actual September date can go ahead.

    So, the delta variant is VERY virulent and transmissible. We WILL have to postpone. But as a person in this situation, I would encourage you by saying so much can change in 6 months that I would wait until much closer to the day to make a decision.

    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Everything I've heard about the Delta and the Lamba is saying that in the next 30 days or so it could be just as bad as it was 7 months ago. I'm in Florida in the states and the southern US doesn't have a good vaccination rate. I just see it getting a lot worse before it gets better. Just gotta put planning on pause again I suppose.
    • Reply
  • I
    Expert August 2021
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would not add something in your invitations about mask mandates. I would leave it for your wedding website if you have one. And if you end up hosting with the mask mandate I would just do an email to inform guests if you take it down to the wire before making a go or no go decision
    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's a good idea. I didn't think about our website. Thank you.
    • Reply
  • Natalie
    Super November 2020
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    I personally would wait before making any rash decisions. I do, however, think it would be a good idea to discuss what conditions would make you postpone and start discussing a possible backup plan. Would it be mask mandates? Limited guest list? I wouldn’t print any specific invitation inserts anytime soon, as Covid guidelines are always very fluid and are subject to change. If anything, let guests know that you will be following the state and/or local Covid-19 guidelines mandated on the date of the wedding.
    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's good wording. On the enclosure cards it has our website. I can put the information there.
    • Reply
  • mrswinteriscoming
    Rockstar December 2021
    mrswinteriscoming ·
    • Flag

    I've just downsized my 150 person black tie wedding set for December to a wedding with max 50 people because we now find ourselves in lockdown (Australia) due to the delta variant causing a major influx in cases amidst our low vaccination rate.

    Our government is very conservative with COVID and we went into lockdown because there were 200 cases (and now there are 2500 and we are entering our second month of lockdown). If you're in the States, you likely won't have the same degree of restrictions apply if the virus ramps up again over there, BUT be mindful, even if you are vaccinated, you can still contract the virus.

    I would say that you can be optimistic ahead of Jan 22 but perhaps start thinking of what your plan B is and when you'll put that plan in action, if you need to. You're better off having a back up plan that you don't use (if everything goes ahead) rather than running around re-organising things in 6 months time.

    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I have a plan b. My friend is an officiant so if we can't go ahead with our plans then she will do the ceremony and I'll have my parents and my fiances parents and we'll go to the nearby park or maybe just stand in the parking lot of my apartment comes I wouldn't have a photographer or anything if I did it that way, and say the words, sign the paper and the every one goes home to sit on the couch. I'm also already figuring out how to reimburse my bridesmaids for the dresses, shoes, plane tickets, and whatnot in the event I do have to cancel. I just feel bad my parents bought me a beautiful dress that in all reality may not get to wear. I mean there wouldn't be a point in getting all dressed up to wear the dress for 20 minutes.
    • Reply
  • mrswinteriscoming
    Rockstar December 2021
    mrswinteriscoming ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    6 months is still a fair way away, and if you choose to cancel the original wedding plans, it doesn't mean you don't have to have no wedding or something so intimate if you don't want to.

    I was really apprehensive about cancelling and the closer we got to our wedding amidst the lockdown we found ourselves in, I realised that we could still have the wedding we planned, just on a smaller scale. We will still be dressing up, having our ceremony where we originally planned it, with our family and a handful of friends from both sides, followed by an amazing meal. It won't be what we originally planned, but it won't be any less of a wedding we envisioned (just with less people and no dancing).

    In any case, I would re-evaluate in perhaps 2-3 months time. We ourselves only made the decision we did 4.5 months out because we're in lockdown until end of August and we'd be liable for lots of money to our reception venue if we cancelled any later than the beginning of September. Good luck!

    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I can't wait until 2 months before. Invitations have to go out in 6 weeks. I'm already out all the money. Everything is paid for. It's been paid for since March of 2020. It was paid literally two months before I had to move it until 2022. I've been planning this since 2019. And there wouibe any point to dressing up. I wouldn't be able to get a photographer to spend more time driving from their home to the park by house then the ceremony would last. Ya know?
    • Reply
  • JM Sunshine
    JM Sunshine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am very confused on why you are sending your invitations in September if your wedding isn't until the end of January.
    • Reply
  • Vicky
    VIP January 2020
    Vicky ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Why would invitations have to go out in 6 weeks? 2 months before your wedding is when invitations should go out.

    • Reply
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    I personally would wait until at least 2 months out before making a decision because anything can happen,
    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Two months out is when I need my RSVPs back. I would have to mail out invitations before then. They are supposed to go out in 7 weeks and that's not really a lot of time. Ya now?
    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    According to all the planning books they should go out between 3 to 5 months before the wedding.
    • Reply
  • C
    Savvy January 2022
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    All the planning books I have says they should go out 3 to 5 months before. On top of that I would need to give my final head count to my venue by middle of December.
    • Reply
  • Jess
    Devoted January 2022
    Jess ·
    • Flag
    I totally understand you :/. Our wedding was suppose to be January 16th , 2021 and postponed to Jan 22, 2022 and now Disney mandated masks .. we are still going forward anything can change for the better
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics