Sara
Beginner May 2021

To cancel or not to cancel

Sara, on November 16, 2020 at 4:54 PM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved
Reply
So me and my fiancé are debating whether we want to still have a ceremony and reception in May 2021 or just got to court because of Covid and all. We live close to DC so there’s no way we will be able to have 120 people because our area is so strict. The only thing stopping us from just going to court is I don’t know how to break it to our parents because they’re so excited. Any thoughts would help. TIA

9 Comments

Latest activity by Yasmine, on November 17, 2020 at 2:38 PM
  • A
    Devoted May 2021
    Ally ·
    • Flag
    Mine’s in May as well. Does DC not have the 150 person max indoor and outdoor rule? That’s what we have in NJ and I thought we were pretty strict here. I am going to see how things are in January/February and go from there I don’t really want to make a decision now because things are still changing almost every day
    • Reply
  • Sara
    Beginner May 2021
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We currently have a 50 outdoor and 25 indoor maximum rule so I’m thinking even if things do get better I still won’t be able to have everyone. And we really don’t want to postpone our wedding any longer
    • Reply
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    You can have a small ceremony with both your parents then postpone until later in the year. Just explain to them the risks and limitations I know they will understand.
    • Reply
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

    I'm so sorry you're going through this. We personally waited until about 3 months out to make a final decision.

    Have you considered doing a small elopement/ceremony, possibly somewhere other than the courthouse, that includes your parents?

    We did a 35-person ceremony & dinner, with the intention to have a more traditional celebration with our original guest list in 2022, but I don't think that's going to happen.

    Part of me wishes we did something with just our parents/siblings -- would've been cheaper, safer (though no one got sick), and we would've still gotten beautiful pictures.

    We didn't want to postpone for a ton of reasons, so I totally get the predicament. I don't think there's a perfect answer for any of these scenarios, you just have to do what feels best to you. Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Im getting married in the DMV and we decided to cancel and just have a tiny ceremony with 3 guests.
    • Reply
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I would start paving the road on the possibility of having to cancel. Have your plan set up for a bigger reception for a year later.
    • Reply
  • Katie
    Beginner May 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I would wait it out a little..be prepared for a backup plane though. I’m getting married in May 15th regardless of what is going on. We postponed our wedding in June this year, so waiting another year is not an option for us.


    With all the news of the vaccine coming end of December or January there may be a much better chance then what the media is telling us right now. Keep in mind a lot can change in 6 months.
    • Reply
  • Erin
    Expert May 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    Why can’t your parents and his go to the courthouse or be the only “guests” to watch and have a small ceremony that way?
    • Reply
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    Well may is still a little while from now and anything can happen. I wouldn't cancel or make a decision now, that's 6 months away. I'm in Maryland and my big wedding is in March, I won't be making a decision until January
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics