Skip to main content
Krystina
Savvy June 2021

Thoughts on diy invitations

Krystina, on July 16, 2020 at 10:34 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 21
Saved

I am thinking of saving money by making my own invitations and response cards in word. Anyone else do this? How did it turn out? Or is it a bad idea? I just want to save money in all areas that I am able so that I can afford to do better food or something else.

21 Comments

Latest activity by Heather, on July 23, 2020 at 4:50 PM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    It’s not a bad idea. I did that! I found free online templates and printed them on card stock and stuffed them into envelopes I got off amazon.
  • Krystina
    Savvy June 2021
    Krystina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Do you have a picture of how it turned out?

• Brittany
    Super October 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

I am DIYing my invitations! They are on a black cardstock background, with a white cut out mask, and I wrote on word the wording of the invitation and the response cards. They are turning out really well because my friend has a Cricut maker that we are using! It really helps! Also if you are wanting to save money on invitations and response cards there are lots of sites that don't charge too much! I know Walmart, Ann's bridal bargain, Zazzle, and Vistaprint!! I hope this helps!!

• Krystina
    Savvy June 2021
    Krystina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I don't have access to a Cricut just regular scissors. I looked into all of those and I didn't care for them plus it was just more than I wanted to spend on a piece of paper that will be thrown away.

• Breanna
    Devoted September 2020
    Breanna ·
    • Flag
    Thoughts on diy invitations 1
    I found a website that has free templates and did that for the rsvps. Then just got cardstock and a $5 cutter on amazon. I love how they turned out. I just googled free rsvp templates and found the website.

• Krystina
    Savvy June 2021
    Krystina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is awesome thank you!!

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t but I got my templates off of greetingsisland
  • Amy
    Expert May 2022
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    I'm using Greeting Island website (free version) then printing.
  • Brittany
    Super October 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Okay! I think you can definitely do it with word and a template that you like!! Oh goodness!! Well, I hope that you find something you like and I think you can do it!!

• Britteny
    Dedicated July 2020
    Britteny ·
    • Flag
    Yes I say diy because you do save and it’s more fun and meaningful since you are putting your work into it making it amazing also you can go to Pinterest if you haven’t went in that direction yet 😀
  • Krystina
    Savvy June 2021
    Krystina ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone! I am glad to have your input. It has helped SO MUCH because my hubby just isn't around a lot for input and his response is always "Whatever you want."

• Kaysey
    Super February 2020
    Kaysey ·
    • Flag

It's not a bad idea at all! My husband and I ordered our invitations because I fell in love with them when I first saw them, but I did make our RSVP cards on my own. We did this to save money & also because my husband wanted funny RSVP cards and there was not a funny option with where I got our invites from. I made them to match our invitations so no one knew they didn't come from the same place Smiley smile

• Kevin
    Super October 2021
    Kevin ·
    • Flag
    We did an online template off of Etsy for $8 and had a local printer print them which came out to 50 cents each. It was super cheap and easy! And they turned out gorgeous
  • Kevin
    Super October 2021
    Kevin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I feel you! Mines response is always I don’t care do what you want and it drives me craaazzzy!
  • Krystina
    Savvy June 2021
    Krystina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Last night I was talking to one of his groomsmen and they didn't even know they were a groomsman because he thought he asked but he didn't. We are only trying to make sure everyone has a big heads up so that they can make room in budgets for it (one friend just bought a house, one is building, one had a baby, etc) but he hasn't even been able to ask his groomsmen. I think he likes walking tightrope on my nerves sometimes haha.

• Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    DIY is not always cheaper but you have much more creative freedom.
  • Erin
    Expert May 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I would say definitely do your research. I priced out Shutterfly, Etsy, and Vista Print and making/printing them myself with my computer/printer....IT was $300 cheaper on my own with shutterfly coming in next cheapest... but by $300!!!! that's insane!!!

• Krystina
    Savvy June 2021
    Krystina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is true. I don't care about creative freedom honestly. I am just trying to save money where I can so I can splurge on the things I want.

• Tori
    Dedicated November 2020
    Tori ·
    • Flag
    Honestly, I tried doing invites. I did a sample run of 10, and it took waaay too long, and they looked hand-made, not professional at all. Plus, by the time I bought the paper, glue, envelopes, etc. there was only a $50-75 difference... in the grand scheme of things the $75 savings couldn’t *upgrade* anything really anyhow. I just bought invites when they were 45% off. Just keep an eye out for sales... I would t waste my time unless you enjoy the work.
  • Krystina
    Savvy June 2021
    Krystina ·
    • Flag

Honestly, I would love to do local printing services but I live in a town of 300 people and we have 2 restaurants, a dollar general, and 2 gas stations. We don't even have a real post office. We also only have 1-2 teachers per grade with a graduating class size of around 30-40 students every year. The nearest printing service is over an hour away and honestly I don't like going there because it is too many people who are crappy drivers for my anxiety. I am decided on printing at home. The farm has a good printer that I can use. Plus I can buy the card stock and envelopes, print addresses on the envelopes, and I like really simple designs so I was just going to do a simple flat card, no fancy foils or frills.

I think honestly after getting the resources from this forum discussion it just makes the most sense to print at home and save the extra 100 dollars. Which is what allowed me to be able to buy a new dress because my pre-childbearing wedding dress just isn't flattering to my mom-bod.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics