Angie
Dedicated March 2022

That one bridesmaid.

Angie, on March 25, 2021 at 7:12 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 29

Maybe I'm in the wrong, not sure how to handle this situation.. I don't have a huge bridal party, only 4 girls. I found this dress on David's bridal that isn't too pricey (less than $100) and it's the exact shade of burgundy I want for my wedding AND it's a dress I feel they can wear after my...

Maybe I'm in the wrong, not sure how to handle this situation..

I don't have a huge bridal party, only 4 girls. I found this dress on David's bridal that isn't too pricey (less than $100) and it's the exact shade of burgundy I want for my wedding AND it's a dress I feel they can wear after my wedding because it's just beautiful! 3 of my bridesmaids LOVE it like absolutely love it, but 1 bridesmaid is not a fan. I don't want to not take her feelings into consideration, but should I change the dress just specifically for her?

Another thing I want to add is I might feel a little biased because I didn't like the way she said she didn't like the dress LOL just completely shut me down and said it's ugly.

She did mention she doesn't like her arms and this is a spaghetti strap dress, so that might have something to do with it? But my wedding will be in the Spring.. In Texas... It will be hot, I'm not gonna put my bridesmaids in long sleeves.

Opinions???

29 Comments

• Monica
    VIP October 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    Okay so I have mixed feelings on this. I feel the MOH should be the only one with a different dress. I would say see if theres a way to alter her straps. But since she doesn’t like her arms, does she want something with sleeves? I guess if u had to choose between her adding sleeves to her dress or picking a diff style dress entirely, sleeves aren’t so bad.
    I told my BMs they did not need to pick the same dress but it needs to be floor length and the same color. My 4 BMs tried on diff dresses and decided all diff styles looked tacky and looked more elegant if they looked uniform. There were 2 dresses that we all liked. But the girls decided on the other dress because once again it looked more elegant for a wedding they said. One BM didnt feel comfortable because of her cleavage but she found a way around it by ordering a size up & altering the waist and hips to be more tailored. In the end they all chose to have the same dress
  • Amanda
    Savvy April 2022
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don't think you should change it just for one. I get cold very easily. For my cousin's wedding it was a strapless dress. Once we were done with the ceremony and photos I put a nice jacket over it for the reception cause it was outside. She did know this was going to happen, and I got the green light to do this. Another friend got married with three of us. Two of us loved the t dress the third hated it and wore the bridesmaids dress though ceremony, though the pictures, and dinner. She then changed for the dancing. This was another thing the bride was aware off. I didn't need to change as this was a long sleeves dress. My point is if you don't wanna change the dress compromise and let her change later to something more comfortable or let her have a cute jacket to cover her arms. Or see if they can alter the dress to adds sleeves?? I keep getting told alterations are available when I look at dresses by the bridal shop workers.
  • Angie
    Dedicated March 2022
    Angie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

A wrap is a great idea! When we get closer to when they need to order the dress I will bring this up, I definitely wouldn't mind anyone wearing a wrap and I think they are very classy especially for the ceremony Smiley smile thanks so much!

• Angie
    Dedicated March 2022
    Angie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Idk why I didn't think of a shawl myself! I see other people mentioning that now and I love that idea, I'm gonna bring that up next time we talk about bridesmaids dresses again. And I'm sure some of my other bridesmaids will even want one as well!

• Angie
    Dedicated March 2022
    Angie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I was gonna bring up how she could change into a different dress after we finish taking pictures, but I didn't want her being offended about having to buy ANOTHER dress lol I'll bring that up if all else fails. I don't think this particular dress would be able to have sleeves added just because it is a cowl neck (well I guess it could but not sure how it would look) so I'm hoping if she is really uncomfortable with her arms then she will agree to a shawl or a jacket like you mentioned!

• D
    Dee ·
    • Flag

Why not have her wear a sheer wrap in the same color to cover her arms (or have a seamstress add the sheer as a cold shoulder wrap affect. That way you and the bridesmaids get the dress you like and she gets to cover her arms

• Amanda
    Savvy April 2022
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Well I hope she wouldn't get offended by it if it's not the only idea. Though I'm sure you already talked to her at this point. How did it go happy ending?
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

No one likes being told what to wear, and there isn't one dress out there that is universally flattering on all body types and complexions, which is why I love mismatched bridesmaids and giving maids a choice between a few different options. Its great that you found an inexpensive dress and that 75% of your bridesmaids love it, and I definitely wouldn't change your entire wedding party because one bridesmaid didn't like the dress.

You could pick out a few additional dresses and give your bridesmaids the choice to pick among them. You can offer to pay for her dress. You can find her a shawl or wrap for her arms. You can also just stick to your choice and she can buy the dress or decide to step out of your bridal party and not buy the dress. I feel like the fact that the dress is under $100 leans in your favor a lot. Good luck!

• ScandalousRandallous
    Devoted July 2022
    ScandalousRandallous ·
    • Flag

Couple pretty ides IMO Smiley smile

That one bridesmaid. 1

That one bridesmaid. 2

That one bridesmaid. 3

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics