AprilR
VIP May 2018

Tattoo cover up on the big day

AprilR, on January 18, 2017 at 6:35 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved

I have a tattoo on my back that I want to cover up for the wedding. My dress has a keyhole and i think the tattoo takes away from the back due to where it is placed. Does anyone have anything that works best to temporarily cover up a tattoo? The photo below is the best I could get of the I'm talking about. Sorry it's a crappy angle of it

19 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on June 21, 2018 at 5:16 AM
  • Holly
    Master February 2017
    Holly ·
    • Flag

Kat von D lock it concealer has good reviews. I tried dermablend after others' recommendations but it seemed to transfer a lot.

• Jaxz
    Devoted September 2018
    Jaxz ·
    • Flag

I use the Kat von d line and the counselor works well, if it's super dark you may want to consider pairing it with the foundation as well and hit it with some setting spray. There are also a ton of videos on how to conceal tattoos on YouTube using drugstore makeup so maybe try that first before investing in Kat von d stuff, I love it but it's pretty pricey if your only going to use it once

• AprilR
    VIP May 2018
    AprilR ·
    • Flag

Thanks! A few years ago a friend suggested glamoflauge for a smaller tattoo and it was horrible so I'm trying not to run in to that again. I've heard good things about Kat Von D. I'll definitely do a trial run first obviously

• OGJessieJV
    Master July 1867
    OGJessieJV ·
    • Flag

Dermablend or Coverfx work too. Ask your MUA what they use.

• LastJuneBride
    Super June 2018
    LastJuneBride ·
    • Flag

Definitely practice a few times before the big day. I tried covering something up when I was a BM with dermablend and I wasn't too happy with the results. But I think I needed to practice application before.

• Amanda
    VIP May 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

I use the kat von d

• Skycat
    Devoted July 2017
    Skycat ·
    • Flag

I didn't really notice your tattoo that much, but if you like to cover it up I'll do some trials and make sure the makeup doesn't bleeds into the dress.

• H
    November 2018
    happeningmom ·
    • Flag

If you are having your makeup done on the day of the wedding your makeup artist should have the necessary items to cover it. Just make sure to let her know, in advance, that you want it covered.

• Lauren
    Devoted May 2017
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Whatever product you decide to use (I prefer the Kat Von D from Sephora myself) I would highly recommend using setting spray as well to make sure none of it gets on your dress.

Your dress is super pretty, by the way!

• AprilR
    VIP May 2018
    AprilR ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to do trial runs before the big day. My MUA charges and extra $200 for a tattoo cover-up which I find ridiculous considering hair and makeup with trial runs is just over $300.

@skycat this picture really does do a terrible job showing the tattoo. It's twice the size from what you can see. It sits right on the bare lace part and I think it takes away from the dress. I wish I had a better picture so you could actually see what I mean

• VegasWed!
    Super October 2017
    VegasWed! ·
    • Flag

I also have a large back tattoo but don't want to go through the trouble to cover it. Everyone else will just have to deal Smiley smile

I'd definitely get the Kat Von D first and practice a lot. If you're not satisfied with the results, I suggest this professional make-up brand: https://us.kryolan.com/

They also have a tutorial video: https://us.kryolan.com/tutorials/dermacolor-tattoo-coverage

• Erin
    VIP May 2017
    Erin ·
    • Flag

I am always someone who says there's no reason to cover up a tattoo.. I personally love tattoos, but after my BM got a huge back piece, I get it now. A friend of mine uses Kat Von D

• Erin
    VIP May 2017
    Erin ·
    • Flag

Oh and duh forgot to mention this, if you're planning on putting it on yourself for practice, I would get something off the internet to help you. I always need to put lotion on my back and can never reach. On Amazon, I searched lotion applicator and bought something that looks like a back brush you would use in the shower, but it's a soft paddle like type thing. It was $6 and it helps so much. May be helpful here too

• The Trap Selena
    Master March 2016
    The Trap Selena ·
    • Flag

Keep in mind that if you're wearing a veil, that'll conceal it some.

• AprilR
    VIP May 2018
    AprilR ·
    • Flag

Thank you Erin! I wouldn't even have thought about needing something to help me apply it. I also love tattoos and am not covering up any of my other ones that are visible. I'm only covering up this one because I feel it takes away from the dress.

Thanks VegasWed for the tutorial! I'll be sure to check that out

• LauraM
    VIP February 2017
    LauraM ·
    • Flag

If you go into sephora, they can give you a sample of the kat von d so you can see if you like it before you purchase. They may even give you enough to cover the whole tattoo. I would try derma blend as well

• S
    Just Said Yes July 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

Hey, April! What'd you end up using? I have a tattoo that shoes through lace as well and I'm really curious if the concealer came off on your dress and how it all worked out for you. Thanks!!

• AprilR
    VIP May 2018
    AprilR ·
    • Flag
    Hey Sarah! I actually ended up not covering it. Sorry I’m not more help. Good luck with yours!
  • S
    Just Said Yes July 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks!! I'm thinking I might do the same as well. Appreciate your followup! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics