Caila
Devoted August 2020

Table Assignments -- Yes or No

Caila, on May 15, 2020 at 9:31 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 28
Saved

I am very torn on if we should do table assignments or not! I know we don't want to do assigned seats with name cards for everyone. Is it worth it to do assigned tables? I just don't want to be too 'controlling', but on the other hand I don't want people to walk in and not know where to sit or have a couple/group of friends get split up! What did you guys do? Table assignments? open seating?

If you did table assignments, what are some rustic displays you did?

Thank you Smiley smile

28 Comments

Latest activity by Naikesha, on May 28, 2020 at 7:23 AM
  • Katlyn
    Devoted December 2021
    Katlyn ·
    • Flag

As much as it seems too much, they are needed. Things get really chaotic if there aren't any. You will have tables with too many people and other tables with hardly anyone. It also makes it more difficult for the food situation.

• Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    Definitely assigned tables. Families and friends get split up, space gets wasted and you’ll need extra chairs...plus most people like knowing you picked a spot for them and they feel more secure .
  • Kimberly
    Expert October 2020
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    Table seatings for sure. Not having general tables assigned to guests risks the natural impulse to sit down at a table with a space between someone you don’t know and then you’ll have a lot of one seaters and uncomfortable situation for couples or families that come in to the room later than others having to split up. It isn’t controlling, it’s practical event logistics. I agree that assigning each guest’s individual seat is too much work 😵

Here are a couple of cute rustic ideas that are easy to do.

Table Assignments -- Yes or No 1
    Table Assignments -- Yes or No 2

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Team assigned tables ****%. It’s so much more convenient for guests and more cost effective. Without a seating chart, you will need to provide 20% more tables, chairs, place settings, etc. since guests won’t seat themselves efficiently. Here is what we used for our seating chart.Table Assignments -- Yes or No 3

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's what I was thinking. I don't want a table to have only 2-4 people! I am leaning more towards assigning tables!

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes! I don't want families or friend groups to get split. Thanks for the feedback Smiley smile

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree that assigning specific seats it too much. But yes, I don't want families to have to get split because a table is 1 seat short

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I didn't even think about the cost factor and needing more tables/chairs. This way I know exactly how many table decorations and everything that I would need. That is super cute!! We have a wood pallet I am thinking of using and clipping on. Did you use a template from Etsy for the table assignments?

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Sure did! The template was only $3 I believe.
  • Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Perfect! I will probably use one of those too Smiley smile

• Renee
    Super June 2020
    Renee ·
    • Flag
    Table assignments for sure. It gets way to confusing if you don’t. Besides guests will only be sitting for dinner, dancing and toasts. 45 to 60 minutes top. They’ll be fine!
  • Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah that is true! After dinner, people will begin mingling anyways!!

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I am always on team assigned tables
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    I agree with everyone else. Definitely have assigned tables.
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Unless you are serving desserts or appetizers only, assigned seating is a must. Without it, couples and families get split up and you prevent drama. Just assign them to a table and let the pick seat, which is only for the duration of dinner. Plus it also provides a home base for people to leave their coats, purses, etc.

Pinterest has a ton of rustic ideas.
  • Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for your reply Smiley smile

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We are doing buffet style! I don't want drama or people to get split up... I didn't even think about a place for purses and such -- that's a good point. Thanks!

• Martha
    Devoted February 2024
    Martha ·
    • Flag

I agree with assigning tables especially designating those for your close family and friends you don't want a long lost relative sitting in a spot closer to you and having an important cousin or so seated far.

• Caila
    Devoted August 2020
    Caila ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Great point and good way to think about it. Thanks for the reply Smiley smile

• Rebecca
    Master August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Seating charts are a pain, but totally necessary.

Since our wedding was baseball themed, DH drew up "line ups" and we put them on a cork board.

Take something you and your FS love, and use that as the theme for the table numbers!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics