Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elizabeth
Super June 2021

Singles Table?

Elizabeth, on March 29, 2021 at 2:21 PM

Posted in Wedding Reception 37

I'm wondering if people have thoughts about the "Singles table" and if it's even still a thing. As a single person, I liked it because I'm very extroverted and also usually did have at least one person I knew at the table. However, I know some people absolutely hate it and I can completely...
I'm wondering if people have thoughts about the "Singles table" and if it's even still a thing.

As a single person, I liked it because I'm very extroverted and also usually did have at least one person I knew at the table. However, I know some people absolutely hate it and I can completely understand why. It can feel like you're at the "extras" or "lonely hearts" table.
What are your perspectives on the singles table?

37 Comments

• Ava
    VIP May 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I have had fun at them in the past! But, it probably depends a lot upon your specific guest situations. We Will be giving each single guest a plus one, so I don’t think we will have anyone attending our wedding alone, so we won’t have a need for singles tables.
  • Grace
    Super February 2022
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I would avoid it. I am ok with talking to new people but I would still find it awkward and uncomfortable, especially if the only reason I was with those people was because we were all single. This would be even worse if there were couples I knew that were seated together while I was singled out.
  • Erin
    Expert May 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

One of the worst wedding experiences i had was 2 years ago, my boyfriend and i were invited to his best friend's wedding.... well the 2 of us got stuck at a table with MUCH older adults and we didn't know ANYONE at our table... it was horrible and awkward. boyfriend and i are both major introverts ... we were 31 at the time and the couples were in their 60's/70's... needless to say we didn't stay long.

• Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow, did you guys know other people at the wedding? Yikes
  • Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    That us very thoughtful and gracious hosting. I have never been given a plus one. In fact, one time I was at a singles table, I was not single and already dating my FH but he had been excluded from the guest list
  • LeeAnn
    Savvy October 2021
    LeeAnn ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I've never seen a singles table, but would have been mortified to be put at one as a wedding guest. I'm also an introvert who gets a ton of anxiety about making small talk with strangers, so I would have been miserable the entire wedding....or have gotten totally wasted. Smiley laugh I would much rather have been the 7th wheel at a table w/three couples I knew than by myself at a table with other singles.

• Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I have never heard of this before but it sounds absolutely awful. You should sit people with people they know or have something in common with, single or not. I went to more than a dozen weddings as a single person and was often sat with people with similar interests and never had a problem being social and having a good time.

• Ava
    VIP May 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh my gosh, you have never been given a plus one to any wedding you’ve attended?! I just couldn’t imagine doing that to my friends and family. And there’s no universe in which I wouldn’t invite somebody’s significant other!
  • Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Completely agree. I am a big supporter of plus ones, and I also think it is really not optional to invite SOs because couples should be respected
  • Erin
    Expert May 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    We only knew the groom’s immediate family (mom dad brother brother’s wife and 2 kids
  • Erin
    Expert May 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Ugh posted before i was done ...and brothers 2 kids) that was it.. the grooms friends were all from college (my boyfriend was 1 of the few high school friends invited that came)
  • Michelle
    Rockstar December 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

A significant other is NOT a plus one. But couples should (and usually are) always be invited as a package deal regardless if they have just started dating after 3 months or been together 40 years with no ring, and it is highly rude and disrespectful to not do so. A true plus one is a random stranger whom you will never see again and doesn't care about you because you feel your single friend/cousin doesn't know a single other person and therefore can't enjoy themselves without a random date. Most of the time they actually know lots of people and can have tons of fun without having to bring along a stranger, and not all single guests feel comfortable bringing a random friend.

• Ava
    VIP May 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, exactly. I couldn’t imagine not giving all my single guests plus ones. And there is no way I would ever only invite one half of a couple. Every single one of our guests will at least have the option to bring their SO, date, friend, etc.
  • T
    Devoted August 2020
    Tina ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I think it’s better to sit people with someone they know. If people want to meet up maybe it be on the dance floor. I personally would feel uptight if I was with strangers.

I’m sitting all my guests with someone they know at least one of them.
  • F
    Expert April 2022
    Fred ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

It's a know your crowd thing IMO.

If they are extroverted, this is a great option, but seat them based on who they know rather than if they are single is the best,safest bet.

• Katie
    VIP August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    I absolutely agree with this. All our single guests have the option of bringing someone. And couples no matter what are a package deal. I want people to feel comfortable and respected. I can't imagine disrespecting a couples relationship by only inviting one half to an event where they will be celebrating my relationship.
  • I
    Dedicated August 2024
    Ivory ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

I would be uncomfortable sitting with strangers, and DEEPLY uncomfortable if I was seated there in the hopes that I would hook up with one of them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics