MrsD
Legend July 2019

Show Me Your Heirloom Rings & Tell Your Story!

MrsD, on January 21, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Posted in Wedding Attire 33

Do you have an heirloom engagement ring? If you do, show me pictures & tell me the story! The center diamond of my ring belonged to my maternal great great grandmother. She got married in 1892 to my great great grandfather. The original ring had two small sapphires on either side. One had fallen...

Do you have an heirloom engagement ring? If you do, show me pictures & tell me the story!

The center diamond of my ring belonged to my maternal great great grandmother. She got married in 1892 to my great great grandfather. The original ring had two small sapphires on either side. One had fallen out and the other had been chipped. My fiance took the center diamond & had it put into a Simon G setting! I love Simon G, he does a ton of vintage look jewelry and it fits me perfectly (as well as the diamond).

The diamond is a 1.3 carat miner cut, which isn't common anymore. Miner cuts were more common in the 1800s and early 1900s. They are hand cut, meaning no two are alike.

It's been hard deciding on a wedding ring to match. Simon G does make a matching one that fits along the outside, but I hate things not being symmetrical and getting one for each side makes the ring too big. I found a ring on Etsy, it's REALLY small & simple & silver. I'm leaning towards that!

cfb_1118167.jpg

33 Comments

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, the original box is a great touch and it's just a beautiful ring!

• Deborah
    Dedicated August 2020
    Deborah ·
    • Flag
    The diamond is from the family with a new twisted shank setting. We’re still trying to figure out whose diamond it is.

Show Me Your Heirloom Rings & Tell Your Story! 1
  • Deborah
    Dedicated August 2020
    Deborah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s very similar to mine! Family diamond new band.
  • Swayla
    Beginner March 2020
    Swayla ·
    • Flag
    This ring was given to my fiancée one day at church. His Great Aunt pulled him to the side while we were eating and told him that God told her to tell him that he was ready. And she gave him the rings. He had them for months before he actually proposed because he didn't know how he wanted to do it. And because he is good at losing things and I am great at finding things, he gave the rings to his mom so she can hold onto them. And on my birthday was the day he proposed in front of our family. 💛

Show Me Your Heirloom Rings & Tell Your Story! 2
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, how beautiful! I love the setting.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What a sweet story and what a beautiful ring!

• Swayla
    Beginner March 2020
    Swayla ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much. Yes, it was a shock to find out how the ring was given to him.
  • Rochelle-Anne
    Dedicated September 2021
    Rochelle-Anne ·
    • Flag
    Though I have an oval, there are lot's of bands that could suite a marquise. You can also look into ring enhancers/jackets.

• Tamera
    Expert May 2020
    Tamera ·
    • Flag
    This ring belonged to my fiancé’s great-grandmother. His mom gave it to him when he was planning to propose to me. The center diamond is her original engagement ring and the wrap was added years later from a different man she was with after her husband died.

I thought about having it redesigned, but as soon as he proposed I fell in love with it and didn’t want to change a thing. It just need a little repair to the band and the prongs.

Show Me Your Heirloom Rings & Tell Your Story! 3
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I love it! Super beautiful & unique. The only reason mine was put in a new setting was because the old one was missing a jewel and was chipped.

• M
    Just Said Yes July 2020
    Marissa ·
    • Flag
    Fiance’s Grandma’s wedding band and engagement set. She had it soldiered together so I’m wearing both 😍

Show Me Your Heirloom Rings & Tell Your Story! 4
  • Rebecca
    Super January 2020
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I know this post is almost a year old, but your ring is GORGEOUS! For Christmas, my FH gifted me his grandmother's marquise diamond engagement ring. The band is cracked and too small, so we will be getting it re-set soon! I've been wearing a CZ for the past year as a placeholder. I was thinking we were going to pick out a moissanite ring, so I never expected him to do this! I'm looking to get it re-set in rose gold. FH and his grandmother had a special bond, so it means soooo much to me that he gave it to me!

I want it to look something like this, with sapphires on the side of the setting:

Ring inspo 1Show Me Your Heirloom Rings & Tell Your Story! 5

Ring inspo 2Show Me Your Heirloom Rings & Tell Your Story! 6

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you so much! I love your inspiration pictures, they are so unique and the gold has a great vintage look.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics