The Bride
Master March 2019

Should Plus One's Be Reserved Only For Engaged and Married People?

The Bride, on August 16, 2019 at 9:03 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 34
Saved
It's no surprise that many engaged couples are burdened by their wedding guest list.

MadameNoire recently asked the question, should plus one's be reserved only for engaged and married people?

What are your thoughts? Sound off in the comment section below.

Should Plus One's Be Reserved Only For Engaged and Married People? 1

34 Comments

Latest activity by The Bride, on August 18, 2019 at 11:39 AM
  • Annette
    Dedicated October 2019
    Annette ·
    • Flag
    For my wedding that's how I have my guest list. Considering the fact that FH and I are paying for people to attend I'm choosing how are money is spent for the wedding and it won't be spent entertaining anyone that doesn't have a permanent place in our family.
  • LB
    Champion November 2016
    LB ·
    • Flag

A plus one isn't for a couple, it's for people not in a relationship.

Significant others should always be invited by name, regardless of the length of the relationship or how serious you deem it to be.

• Jessica
    VIP June 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

Anyone in a relationship (married, dating, casually seeing someone) did not get a plus one, they were looked at as a group and were invited as so. Anyone 18+ who is single received a plus one.

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    We gave all single people plus ones. We invited anyone in a relationship by name. I always cringe on here when I see people say they aren’t inviting someone’s significant other unless they’re married, engaged, or living together. That would mean the man my husband has considered his stepdad for more than a decade wouldn’t be invited. I don’t believe in placing arbitrary guidelines on peoples relationships.
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    • Flag
    We are giving our single friends a plus one. We are paying for the wedding and want everyone to have a good time. We don't mind if they want to bring a date.

As pp's have said couples, whether long term, married, or engaged, are not plus 1's and should be invited together.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Plus ones are for single people, not those in relationships. All of our guests were invited with their significant other, by name. We extended a plus one to any single people who wouldn’t know many other people at the wedding or if they are coming from out of town.
  • Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag
    Plus ones were given to my friends who were adults outside of commuted relationships. If my friend was in a committed relationship for over six months they were invited by name (we chose that time because while we were finalizing our list we decided if they weren’t official before our engagement we probably didn’t know their name anyway).
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I def invited everyones spouse that was married and engaged. For those in relationships I kind of had to judge based on if they knew anyone else at the wedding. If they didn't then yea I let them have it so they could be comfortable. I was kind of tight on my guest list due to space.
  • Keri
    Expert November 2019
    Keri ·
    • Flag
    Everyone in a relationship is being invited as a couple. Single friends who are traveling will be invited with a guest. Few single friends who know other single friends will not be given a plus one.
  • Nemo
    Master August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag

No, because a married person/engaged person's spouse/SO isn't a plus one. They should be invited together regardless, as should any couples in a committed relationship. We gave a plus 1 to all single, adult guests and have no regrets. Some brought friends, some brought new relationships, some opted to not use it.

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

THAT'S NOT A PLUS ONE.

Plus ones are for TRULY SINGLE GUESTS.

Anyone in a relationship (for any period of time), engaged, or married should be invited BY NAME. They are a social unit and should be invited as such.

Plus ones for truly single guests are never required - simply a nice-to-offer if you have the budget and space.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I completely understand. Only my wedding party received plus ones if they weren't married or engaged.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's an interesting way to do it.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hmmm....I understand your perspective.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I understand, no one wants to come to a wedding alone.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That was really nice of you.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I understand.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Although not everyone at my wedding received a plus one, I can say that everyone knew at least one other person so no one felt alone.

• The Bride
    Master March 2019
    The Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Giving single friends who are traveling a plus one is a good compromise.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics