Amers
Savvy February 2020

Should our last names be on our invitations?

Amers, on November 8, 2019 at 2:45 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 26
Saved Save

I'm finalizing invitations and they are formatted as follows:

Amy & Taylor

Together with their families

Invite you to their wedding celebration

Saturday, February 22, 2020

at 2 o'clock in the afternoon

at St John's Lutheran Church

City, State

Cocktail hour

at 5 o'clock in the evening

Dinner

at half past six o'clock in the evening

Wedding Hall

City, State

He and I both come from divorced and remarried families, so we opted to say "families" instead of naming both parents and their spouses. I sent copies to our parents for final approval (and I'm kind of wishing I'd just have sent them to the printer) because each parent has something they would change etc. One of the suggestions was to put our last names at the top of the invitation. Maybe I'm just a naive 24 year old, but I think if people are getting invitations, they should at least know who we are without last names? As you can imagine from the information above, our invitations are already pretty scrunched. I already have anxiety about how claustrophobic they are, but I'm not sure how to change anything to make room. So I really don't want to add in our last names too. Help please! Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

26 Comments

• Meghan
    Super September 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

We didn't put our last names on the Save the Dates but we did on the invitations just because they're a little more formal.

• Lauren
    Super September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Should our last names be on our invitations? 1

I did similar wording for our invitations. I was worried about it looking too cluttered as well but I think it worked out. Husband has a difficult last name so I wanted my friends and family to know how to spell it since it is my new last name.

• Amers
    Savvy February 2020
    Amers ·
    • Flag

Wedding inviteShould our last names be on our invitations? 2

• Rebecca
    Devoted June 2020
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    Most people don’t know how to spell (we don’t teach spelling in schools on a regular basis either so it’ll only get worse). If you have “complicated” last names, I’d put them on there. That way people have them in front of them if they’re writing a check (in the car in the parking lot like my aunt does for EVERY wedding 😉).
  • Amers
    Savvy February 2020
    Amers ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I don't think yours is cluttered at all! Our reception is at a different location than the ceremony, so I had to include that info. Originally I had the reception details like this:

Cocktail hour with reception to follow

5 o'clock in the evening

But my mom made a big deal about not having a set dinnertime in there, so I had to add two extra lines for that. Again, I really should've just sent them to the printer and said oh well lol

• Amers
    Savvy February 2020
    Amers ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

His last name is Craig, so it's not really an issue in that aspect, I don't think anyway lol. But yes, this is a good point. Thank you!

• Sara
    Devoted February 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    We're date twins!

I'm putting our last name on ours..but it's a personal preference kind of thing. You could do a separate reception insert and have the ceremony info on the main paper and the reception/other details on another..but that's more $$.

I opted to make the details insert..because I also don't like clutter. I'm still struggling with the wording of that page.
  • M
    Expert September 2020
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    I think it’s up to you. My first name is pretty unique so anyone who receives our invitation should definitely know it’s from us.
  • Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

We put our last names, but I don't think you have to if you don't want to. I only did because I liked how it looked on our invitations. It really is up to you. If anything i'd at least put your or his names on the corner of the envelope

our invitationShould our last names be on our invitations? 3

• Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

I would include last names on the invitations!

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

I would use last names. A lot of people may know more than one "Amy." And Aunt Matilda may not remember the name of the guy you are dating. Last names avoid confusion.

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Though it has been traditional on very formal invitations to spell out o'clock, I think that every time I see a less formal one that says, at 2 in the afternoon, or at 6 in the evening, I notice and think, what an improvement! Several online stationers show examples doing that, omitting o'clock 2-3 times, decluttering the page a little. . . . But add your last names, please. In the time we have been together, I have been to weddings, and milestone anniversaries, on my husband's side, for a Carlo and Marie, a Carl and Marie, a Giancarlo called Carl and Maria, and several other name duplicates ( or nearly so ) What a PITA to see an invitation with 2 first names, and not have a clue what Jean ( Jeanne, Jeanette, Janette) is marrying what Joe ( Joseph, Josef, Joel, Joey). And nothing saying who the parents are, so I cannot tell if they are hubby's family, high school friends, workers from past jobs. Hubby knows. I hate being clueless. And most often, I am the one looking up couples by first name, in an address or phone and email list kept by last names. One day, I am going to write a check for one of his nephews, to Joe and Theresa Nosurnames. And sign it, Judith and T. . . They can have fun at the bank. . . . Make your names a little more formal, nicknames first okay but a full first and last name for each of you . And drop any other oddities, like spelling out o'clock 4 times, something only done on the most formal cards. Also, you only need to use the city and state once, in the church line, if both in the same city . It will be assumed the same in the second use, the reception hall.
    With 3 fonts, script and print, and pictures and colors , nothing about your invitation otherwise is at all formal . So why bother with formal language ? Note: I do think they are attractive, not complaining about them being less formal. Just that you have a strange mix, so extremely informal, two first names no surnames, mixed with overly formal spelling out of words rarely used. And couples rarely use just first names, unless parent names ARE used, which you do not want for good reason.
  • L
    Dedicated August 2019
    Leaves232 ·
    • Flag
    On the invitations we used our first and middle names and left the last names out.
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    • Flag
    I put our last names because I wanted to, but in general I would not ask your parents for suggestions and make the decisions you want.
  • Renee
    Super April 2020
    Renee ·
    • Flag
    My fiance and I have both been married before and I used my first and middle name and used his first and last name since that's the name I'll be taking. We didn't mention our families bc they're not helping pay or really part of the planning
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    I used his last name, but not mine. my parents names we listed. I think this is a more formal “traditional” way to do it. Your closest guests will know who it’s for, but more distant guests or guests of your parents might not know and last names will help clarify.

Should our last names be on our invitations? 4
  • Eva
    Just Said Yes April 2020
    Eva ·
    • Flag
    Of course everyone had an opinion ;P that just seems to the the way it goes in wedding planning, doesn’t it??

I think it’s completely up to you and I think it’s perfect the way it is if that’s what you like! If you think you’ll regret it and your names aren’t too long, you can certainly include them and it still wouldn’t be too bulky. But I don’t think you NEED to. I definitely understand not wanting it to be too crowded.

I’ve been asking for my mom’s input a lot but only because she’s fronting most of the bill and for some reason, the invites are what she cares most about so we’re going a more formal route with parents’ names and everything haha.

I’ve been seeing last names dropped from many invitation templates on Minted, Zola, Etc. so it seems to be the trend now in favor of the bold, dramatic text like you have. Aka I don’t think you’re breaking any “rules” so go on with you bad self, girl. Have fun!
  • M.W.
    VIP June 2019
    M.W. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My husband and I used these same invites but they were in blue

• Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I loved them in blue too. Blue was a color we considered too. Did you get the thank you cards too? mine should be here today

• Givemeallthepups
    Dedicated February 2020
    Givemeallthepups ·
    • Flag
    We opted to use full (first middle last) names solely because I liked how it laid out better on our invites.

Comment on this discussion