Married Millennial
Master March 2019

Should Married Couples Have Joint or Separate Bank Accounts?

Married Millennial, on July 15, 2019 at 8:08 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 28
Saved Save

Traditionally, when a couple gets married they merge their money along with the remainder of their lives. However, many married couples have decided to maintain separate bank accounts. What are your thoughts? Should married couples have joint or separate bank accounts? Why?

Should Married Couples Have Joint or Separate Bank Accounts? 1

28 Comments

• Paula
    Expert September 2019
    Paula
    We live together now and each have our own checking acct but have a joint savings acct. When we get married, we're going to open a joint checking acct but still keep individual checking accts
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly
    Both! Have joint savings for your goals, joint checking for your bills. But also have enough to save to splurge on your own things, and own checking to have a little fun.
    You can't buy a birthday surprise if you both can see the checking account! 馃槣
  • Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment
    My husband and I did the same thing.
  • Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment
    Good point.
  • Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn
    I think couples should do whatever works best for them. We鈥檝e shared finances since we moved in together, but we still maintain our financial independence. We have a mutual checking and savings and our own separate accounts. Our mutual checking is for shared bills like the mortgage and utilities and the shared savings is for wedding things and the down payment for our next home. Other than that, the rest of our money is ours to spend how we please. I can see how this wouldn鈥檛 work for some.
  • Melle
    Master June 2019
    Melle
    We have separate and joint. We have one joint one to share expenses for stuff like vacations. We put equal amounts in it every month too.
  • Michelle
    Devoted March 2020
    Michelle
    We're going to do both!
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D
    We have one joint account for bills but each have separate individual accounts for day to day spending and nonshared debts. When we had all our money combined we fought over it a lot. Now we discuss finances but don't argue anymore.
  • Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment
    My husband and I have a shared savings account, that's it. We pay bills from our independent accounts.
  • Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment
    Ditto! We're saving for out house though.
  • Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment
    Good idea!
  • Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment
    I hate to fight over finances so having both accounts works best for my husband and I.
  • Hannah
    VIP July 2019
    Hannah Online
    I think every couple is different. As long as a system works for both individuals and there is no financial coercion, then there is really no wrong answer.

As of right now, we maintain separate accounts and 1 joint checking we got when moving in together for joint bills. After we get married, we plan on closing the individual accounts and just merge everything. It makes the most sense for us, especially since for the time being I'm in a full time doctorate program and so he is primarily covering all the expenses anyway for the next few years.
  • Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment
    I completely understand bwhy a joint account would work for your marriage.
  • Megan
    VIP January 2019
    Megan
    We have both. Personal savings and checking, and joint savings and checking. We kept things separate for a while but it was stressful when we bought our house and our bills were higher and I felt bothered asking him for money because bills autodraft from my account but he makes the majority of the money. So now we both direct deposit into joint, transfer a certain percentage into our separate accounts and I manage our bills out of joint.
  • D
    Expert September 2019
    Dana
    We decided to have both. We have a joint savings account and joint checking for our bills. However we decided to keep our separate accounts in case we want to buy each other surprise gifts
  • Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment

That's a really great idea.

• Married Millennial
    Master March 2019
    Married Millennial
    View Quoted Comment

I love buying surprise gifts!

• Michelle
    Super August 2019
    Michelle
    I say joint accounts for savings and bills and separate for your own stuff. I already have 3 separate checking accounts for myself because I like being able to separate my spending money from my bill money. I find it easier to keep track of things that way. Once we are married, I can close some of my bill ones and just use the joint checking for them while still keeping my personal one.
  • D
    Expert September 2019
    Dana
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly. A certain percentage of our checks go into the joint account and we keep a certain percentage with free range to do whatever we want. So far so good and its working nicely for us

Comment on this discussion