Lisa
Just Said Yes October 2020

Rules on Officiants?

Lisa, on August 19, 2019 at 12:31 PM Posted in New York Planning 0 2
Saved Save
Hi All!

My fiance and I would love to have our friend marry us and become ordained through the Universal Life Church. I am getting conflicting answers on if this is possible in upstate NY (Dutchess, Westchester, Ulster Counties etc.). We live in Brooklyn so plan to get all our license here in the city, but we are getting married upstate, likely in Dutchess County. Is our friend able to still marry us legally? I basically want him to do our vows etc. because he is an awesome public speaker and is so close to us - but if it's not legal I am open to possibly going to city hall or something a few days before.

Anyone have any clear answers on this?

2 Comments

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2030
    Cliodhna Online ·

Hey there Lisa!

As you may know, some states do not recognize online ordination, so it would be important to check your specific state’s marriage laws. I would definitely recommend you reach out to the office of the city clerk and get confirmation on the legality surrounding this.

• Rebecca
    Super August 2019
    Rebecca ·

I cannot see how it would be legal in NYC, but not in upstate New York.

Our officiant is not clergy, he is simply authorized by the state of New York to marry people. As long as your officiant is, as well, it should not matter.

Comment on this discussion