FutureMrs.Px0
Dedicated September 2019

Rsvps not coming in

FutureMrs.Px0, on July 15, 2019 at 2:22 PM Posted in Planning 0 25
Saved Save

I sent out my wedding invitations in the beginning of May for our wedding that is on September 22nd. We invited 182 guests and the RSVP deadline is August 16th. I still have 99 people I am waiting to hear from. I got a bunch in the beginning but within the last few weeks I haven't had a single RSVP come back. I provided the traditional response (addressed and stamped) and I also gave an option to RSVP online. I am starting to get discouraged ... is this normal?

25 Comments

• Allie
    Rockstar August 2019
    Allie ·

This is normal. I actually just posted about this haha. My deadline is today. 38 out of 107 responded. So we will be calling a lot of people next week. We chose the online only option because we figured this would be the case and didn't want to waste more money on postage.

• CourtneyBrittain
    Master August 2019
    CourtneyBrittain ·
    Definitely normal, especially as your rsvp by isn’t for a bit. I have to reach out to 80 still and the rsvp date was yesterday
  • Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    If I got an invitation 4.5 months before a wedding, I would put it in a drawer and forget about it. This is why invitations typically go out 6-8 weeks before the wedding.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

May seems SUPER early for a late September wedding. Our invites went out at the end of May for our mid July wedding. Maybe guests though it was a save the date? I'm sure they are waiting until closer to August.

• Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    Yes totally normally but you also sent them out very early. People don’t always plan that far ahead
  • ASMini914
    Super September 2019
    ASMini914 ·
    I just sent my invites out on Wednesday (7/10) or our sept 14th wedding. I wouldn’t worry.
  • Madison
    Devoted August 2019
    Madison ·

I think that sounds normal! You still have another month to go. We sent out invites late May for our wedding on August 16th. Our RSVP deadline is this Friday July 19th and we are waiting on 9/133 people. A lot of people RSVP'd right in the beginning, but there was definitely a middle couple of weeks where we didn't receive a single RSVP.

• Samantha
    Dedicated September 2019
    Samantha ·

I'm in the same boat as you! Our wedding is September 14th and I have a deadline of August 14th. I have supplied postage and online options. I'm not getting worried yet...I think by end of July and early August I might send a friendly reminder about RSVP'ing. I'm sure some have it ready to go and just forgot to toss it in the mail but I wouldn't worry just yet

• Monica
    Dedicated April 2020
    Monica ·

Depends on your family. In my experience with my family & FH's family: for our baby shower we literally had zero RSVPs and 50 ppl showed up and for our daughter's first birthday we got 3 RSVPs and more than 50 ppl showed up. Im hoping when its time for my RSVP deadline they will shape up a little bit since this is a wedding and not a birthday party lol

• Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    This is definitely an issue that occurs when invites are sent out super early. But your guests all still have a whole month to respond. You’ll probably still have to follow up with some, but, try not to worry about it until next month— nothing to do about it til the rsvp due date comes anyway.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    Just curious, was there a reason for sending them out so early? We had a destination wedding and only sent them 3 months out.

But it's pretty normal for people to wait until closer to RSVP. Some even waiting until the day they're due to drop them in the mail.
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    People tend to RSVP towards the deadline and afterwards, wait a week after the deadline to call people
  • latasha
    VIP September 2019
    latasha ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Wedding date twins! It’s coming up so quickly 😆😆
  • Chris
    Dedicated August 2019
    Chris ·

Yes- slow response rate is normal, but unfortunately can be disappointing during the lulls. Most people are procrastinators in general, so don't be surprised if you get a big flood of responses closer to the RSVP By date. If you have invited guests who have not RSVP'd and the deadline date has passed, text them and be direct. Or call them. But contact them in some way. They won't be offended. I slacked on responding to my cousin's wedding last year due to just being too busy... I feel bad now, but I appreciated her texted me to confirm.

• Mary
    Dedicated September 2019
    Mary ·

I hear you on that one! I think it's the norm these days, unfortunately! When you're planning an event of gigantic proportions, it seems that you have to spend an arm and a leg on everything, including stamps--just to send out invitations in the mail. Oiy! It would be nice to hear from those lovely friends---AND even some of those in the family who drag their feet. It's frustrating indeed, not to hear a peep out of people whom you've been acquainted with for so long. I think everyone is so dern busy, they just sometimes forget to do even simple tasks. But mostly, I'm thinking the reasons some people don't respond right away---unless they absolutely know for sure they're going to attend your wedding---they're waiting until the very last moment because: 5. Waiting to see if they can take off work; 4. Waiting on their other half to make a decision; 3. Checking out whether they can afford to go; 2. Trying to find babysitters, house-sitters, or even dog sitters to take care of stuff while they're gone; and---the number ONE reason------maybe they're waiting to see if an invitation to something better pops up? Oh, brother, where art thou? All kidding aside, whatever the reason--I sure hope we all get more responses--sooner than later! Keep your chin up, and enjoy your beautiful day---with, or without those who've forgotten or not cared to respond to your kind invitation!

• Meghan
    VIP October 2019
    Meghan ·
    This maybe because your invitations went out so early. Mostly people send them out 6-8 weeks prior to the wedding. So a lot of guests may have forgotten by now. You will end up having to follow up with them.
  • Alhina
    Devoted August 2019
    Alhina ·
    They will start coming in close to the wedding. My wedding is August 17 and I still have people RSVPing. My deadline was July 3rd. My deadline was written on the invitations. Everyone had 3 months to RSVP. I think that's plenty of time.
  • Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·
    View Quoted Comment

Yep, my thoughts exactly. It's not the end of the world, but you will most likely have to contact people after the RSVP date goes by.

• C
    Devoted September 2019
    Caitlyn ·

I feel like this is normal. My wedding is 9/14/19 and the RSVP deadline is August 7. We sent our invitations the last week of June and have received 35 out of 93 so far. I am expecting a lull and anticipate having to follow up with people after the deadline passes.

• Hannah
    VIP July 2019
    Hannah Online ·
    Yep, it's normal. People either get it done right away or wait until the last minute.

Comment on this discussion