We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Cheyenne
Savvy June 2019

rsvp Advice that I'm thankful i Did!

Cheyenne, on April 20, 2019 at 10:23 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 29
Saved Save
Hey all!

If I could give you advice - it would be STAMP your RSVP's and LABEL THEM! I put all the guests in an excel sheet from both sides so I could track which guests got theres sent yet. And then whatever number they were in excel, I wrote that number real small on the bottom corner of our RSVP postcards. I have received 2 so far without a name on them so now I'm beyond thankful that I did it! Also, I think we're getting a lot of RSVP cards back, both attending and not attending, because we stamped them! I would 100% recommend doing this. Such a small thing, but totally worth it. Thoughts?

Happy planning !

29 Comments

Latest activity by Kim, on June 7, 2019 at 8:19 AM
  • Cynthia
    Expert May 2019
    Cynthia
    • Flag
    I did the same thing! Each household that got an invitation was assigned a number, then I wrote that number very small on the back of their RSVP card. We got 3 back with no name or return address! Thankful we did that extra step, as well as put stamps on the return envelopes, so we didn鈥檛 have to make any guesses or call people. Highly recommend!
  • Victoria
    Super May 2019
    Victoria
    • Flag
    We stamped ours, but I wrote names in for them. We still had to track down about 50 people 馃憥馃徏 Lol
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah
    • Flag
    I did the same thing! I just sent them out and the few people who already returned them all write their names, but I think it makes it so much easier if they don't. A lot of people say to use invisible ink or whatever. I honestly doubt anyone has noticed.
  • Tara
    Expert June 2019
    Tara
    • Flag
    We did it too! I used an invisible ink marker and wrote the number on the back. To me, I notice all the little things so I did not want to do it in a regular pen/marker. I also stamped all the RSVP envelopes as well so no one had to do anything.

A lot have not responded back yet, but our RSVP date has not passed either. My main annoyance is that people who verbally said they are not going will not send it back and I paid for postage so just drop it in the mail!

My dad also threw out his RSVP envelope!!
  • Nafisah
    Super May 2019
    Nafisah
    • Flag
    I put a stamp in the RSVP envelope flap just in case ppl RSVP'd on our website. Those people got a free stamp lol. I didn't write their names on the envelope and our deadline to respond if the 27th of this month. We had 1 person so far that wrote "2" on the card 馃う馃徑鈥嶁檧锔 still trying to find them
  • Krystin
    Expert October 2019
    Krystin
    • Flag

I also have planned to do this! I already have my spreadsheet set up! Next to my list I have Save the Date- and I'll check that when I send so I know I don't forget anybody. Then I have Invites- and I'll check that when I send those. Then I have RSVP- and I will put yes or no when I get their cards back!

• Abby
    VIP March 2019
    Abby
    • Flag
    We did this same thing! No one ended up sending the RSVP card back without a name so it never ended up being necessary but I'm glad we did it just in case!
  • Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney
    • Flag

I heard about this too and plan on it. You always think, "nah, they should no what to do", until you're proven wrong lol.

• A
    Expert June 2019
    Afterallthistime...Always
    • Flag
    The back of our RSVPs were black, so I wrote in black pen the name of the guest in the bottom corner. You can鈥檛 see it unless it鈥檚 in the light, but that way I didn鈥檛 have to match a number to a guest.
    Definitely something I鈥檓 glad I learned on WW. So many have come back with no names haha.
  • A
    Devoted November 2019
    Amanda
    • Flag

Great advice!Smiley star
    I hadn't even though about this at all lol!
    I need to pass it along to FH as he'll have to handle most of the invites and RSVP's!

• T
    Devoted May 2010
    Theresa
    • Flag

I thought labeling and putting a stamp on RSVP envelopes was standard practice, but, maybe I'm just old school.

That said, if you aren't writing names on the RSVP cards, adding a number to it track it is definitely a good idea! I think in many cases, though, people write in names in advance if children aren't invited, or Plus 1s, so the people RSVPing know exactly who's invited. Not that they always take the hint. Smiley tongue

• F
    Devoted June 2019
    F
    • Flag
    We did the same thing! But I think some of out guest think they don鈥檛 have rsvp!
  • J
    Master October 2019
    Jolie
    • Flag

Putting a stamp on rsvps is proper etiquette?? They aren't supposed to provide their own. If someone had told you that originally they were incorrect. As far as numbering them, yes that is always a great tip because even if you spell out the word Name before the line people are still going to be too idiotic to forget to write their names! Some people also send them back without their own return address which is even more so why numbering them is crucial!

• Pat
    Dedicated July 2020
    Pat
    • Flag
    This is something I will do when the time comes.. still very early in the planning stages, but making 鈥榯o do鈥 lists!
  • Future Mrs. McCully
    Devoted July 2019
    Future Mrs. McCully
    • Flag

I used postcards for my RSVP's...I stamped and wrote the names on my RSVP's.

Helped out with specifying who is invited and who gets a plus one.

• Laura
    Expert September 2019
    Laura
    • Flag

I've heard of this and how helpful it can be, so I definitely plan to do this when we send out our invites.

• CountryBride
    Dedicated May 2019
    CountryBride
    • Flag

We did the same thing. Have multiple families with same last name so if they just wrote Mr & Mrs....... we would match up the # to what couple it is. Such a great idea and I got it from here before I sent them out.

• Mariah
    Beginner August 2021
    Mariah
    • Flag
    That鈥檚 an awesome idea!
  • C
    Devoted September 2019
    Caitlyn
    • Flag

That brilliant - thanks for the tip! Could you share a screen shot of your Excel template?

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra
    • Flag
    Did all of that and only got 2 returned with no names and no return addresses. So the numbers on the back were amazing!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics