Skip to main content
dsta0125
Expert September 2016

Receiving line order

dsta0125, on July 28, 2016 at 2:48 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 23
Saved

So I am going to be doing a receiving line after the ceremony. I was going to have myself and FH, both our parents and my grandmother if she is feeling up to it, so there would be a total of 7 people. Should I include anyone else in the receiving line?

Also, is there a "standard" order that everyone should stand in? Should parents be first, then bride/groom, or vice versa?

Thank you!

23 Comments

Latest activity by dsta0125, on July 28, 2016 at 3:51 PM
  • Swin.
    Master June 2016
    Swin. ·
    • Flag

If you MUST do a receiving line, have it be you and your husband.

There's nothing more awkward than trying to small talk your friend's new spouse's grandma...

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Dont' do it. If you do, it should be just your parents.

• dsta0125
    Expert September 2016
    dsta0125 ·
    • Flag

Why should I not do it?

• Swin.
    Master June 2016
    Swin. ·
    • Flag

No one likes it.

Plus it's a waste of time. You say "hello" and then continue going around to everyone to say "hello". It's never made sense to me and I'm from a culture that basically EVERY PERSON does it.

• M
    Expert September 2016
    MRSFG ·
    • Flag

Do it's better than visting each table

• I_CRE8
    Super November 2016
    I_CRE8 ·
    • Flag

That's already a lot of people. I feel awkward even when it's only the bride/groom doing the receiving line, so adding parents/grandma just makes it even more uncomfortable. If you insist on having all of them included, definitely don't add any more...

• Swin.
    Master June 2016
    Swin. ·
    • Flag

But, Mrs, as someone who you know, just got married, I can say that you will go around to each table anyways, because well... people still want to talk. The hug and hi does not satisfy the guest's desire to chat with the newly married couple!

• Kisha
    Expert August 2016
    Kisha ·
    • Flag

Wow I had no idea it was frowned upon. Im doing one but am thankful for the heads up.

• Katherine
    VIP June 2017
    Katherine ·
    • Flag

We're doing it, but just the two of us. I've had horrible guest experiences with table visiting. I've always been missed or barely acknowledged. I want to look each guest in the eye and tell them thanks for coming to celebrate with us. Keeping it simple with just the two of us, so my parents can get to the reception venue and so they can greet people and make sure food and drinks are set out.

• Cynthia
    Super October 2016
    Cynthia ·
    • Flag

I've never been a fan of them.

In my mind; first what do I say, how do I make it sound sincere and how do I say the same thing differently so I don't sound like a broken record. But I digress. . .

Anyway, If you are doing one just you and the groom.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

It's boring, it's time consuming,l and after the ceremony, it's party time. it doesn't accomplish anythin, it's awkward and honestly, if you can't make time to say hello to people at the reception....why are you inviting them?

• S
    Master January 2017
    SnowQueen ·
    • Flag

I agree with just bride and groom or after the ceremony as guests exit the seated rows greet them there, I saw that done and thought it was cute.

• Beutivant
    Master May 2016
    Beutivant ·
    • Flag

I have never been to a wedding that had a receiving line. As an actor, I have done them after children's shows...I honestly didn't even know that was something that happened at weddings until I came to WW.

• Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·
    • Flag

Just you two and I agree with MRSFG!

• Theresa Beale
    Master November 2014
    Theresa Beale ·
    • Flag

DH and I did a receiving line of just ourselves because I knew there wouldn't be a way to ensure everyone would be at their tables when we walked around after dinner (and that was true. There were many empty chairs as soon as dinner was over). But we also had everything at one venue so we did the receiving line as guests left the ceremony to go to cocktail hour.

That being said, as a guest I prefer to only greet the bride and groom in a receiving line. Typically I only know one set of parents (bride or groom) and its awkward standing there having to introduce yourself to people you never met before (and may never see again). Add in the wedding party and you just add more awkwardness for your guests.

• MISS2MRS.<3
    VIP August 2017
    MISS2MRS.<3 ·
    • Flag

A receiving line is proper etiquette in my culture, and very rude not to do! Especially if you have more than 50 guests!!! It also guarantees a moment with your guests to have face to face time and thank them for coming. Traditionally, the bride's parents -- as hosts -- head the receiving line and are first to greet guests, followed by the bride and groom and then the groom's parents. Many lines we've seen also include the entire bridal party (if there's room), and sometimes even grandparents (if they're able). Today, however, with more couples contributing to or paying for their own weddings, the lines have blurred (so to speak). The couple may wish to stand alone, especially if the majority of guests are their friends, or they may stand with just the moms while the dads circulate among and welcome the crowd during the cocktail hour.

Eta: also you are supposed to introduce your guests to your spouse and family members who have not met.

• Almost Mrs. Wright
    Super September 2016
    Almost Mrs. Wright ·
    • Flag

FH insists on having one. Depending on the size of the wedding/ guest list it may take up time. Also you will see most of your guests at the reception so depending on the circumstances they are seen as unnecessary.

We are just doing Me, FH, his parents, and my parents. We might cut it down to just us depending on how we are feeling closer to the wedding.

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·
    • Flag

I would go to each table, say thank you for coming, take a picture with the entire table (we had our photographer come with us to each table, this way you get photos with everyone too), etc...as opposed to a receiving line. I have never been to a wedding with one and I've been to a lot of weddings. I see them as more impersonal than anything. Like forced thank you's standing in line. Just seems awkward and kind of boring.

• MISS2MRS.<3
    VIP August 2017
    MISS2MRS.<3 ·
    • Flag

I disagree with going to each table yes we are all going to do it anyways, BUT you can definitely miss someone because people are constantly moving around, dancing, getting drinks at the reception and its not a guarantee.

ETA no one is going to wait at the table for you to swing by and take a picture...

• A. L.
    Master July 2017
    A. L. ·
    • Flag

Receiving lines are a little too creepy for me. Just hang out with your guests at the reception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics