We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Karina
Just Said Yes August 2021

Reasonable Price for Wedding Dress?

Karina, on August 19, 2020 at 3:44 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 42

How much is a reasonable price for a wedding dress? Please help
How much is a reasonable price for a wedding dress? Please help Smiley smile

42 Comments

• Bride123
    Dedicated August 2020
    Bride123 ·
    • Flag

They say roughly 10% of your wedding budget should be spent on yours and your spouse's outfit. It varies so much person to person and what's important to you and your family. The dress was so important to me, so I wound up spending $8k on the dress alone. I don't regret it.

• Tara
    VIP May 2021
    Tara ·
    • Flag

This is like a loaded question, lol! There is no right answer... Reasonable is whatever you deem it to be. You can find wedding dresses on sale at David's Bridal for just $99 or you can spend $10,000 at Kleinfeld's in NYC. It's whatever you feel comfortable spending. There is literally a dress in every budget that suits your style! I personally wasn't willing to spend more than $2,000. But i think more people spend around $1,000. As previously suggested, check out Still White! Or Poshmark and Facebook Marketplace are great options if you're on a strict budget.

• A
    Devoted October 2021
    Adrienne ·
    • Flag

This depends on your budget, but I will say also keep in mind any alterations you'll need to do, and some dresses will cost more than others for alterations. I didn't want to pay more than $1k for my dress because I knew alterations would be a lot for me (I'm pretty short so lots of cutting for the seamstress to do). My alterations came out to be $750 lol so almost as much as the dress.

• Kiara
    Super August 2021
    Kiara ·
    • Flag

Whatever is comfortable for you... But also try to check on trunk shows for some bridal dresses sometimes you can save on them also.. That's how I got my dress

• A
    Devoted June 2021
    Allie Online ·
    • Flag

I got mine at a bridal consignment store...might be worth a quick internet search to see if there's one near you? Several of my friends included it on their list of stores to visit (just to be thorough in their search) and ended up finding their dresses there!! If you happen to find your perfect dress there, it's a great way to get higher-cost dresses at better prices!

• Jaclyn
    Dedicated December 2021
    Jaclyn ·
    • Flag

Depends on what you're comfortable spending. When I went dress shopping I knew I didn't want to go over $1000. Didn't mean I would only look at dresses that were almost at my budget. I looked at dresses mostly between $400-900 to give myself more options and wiggle room. The dress I ended up loving and purchased was $550. I was happy it was waayy under budget and I could use the rest of that money for something else =)

• Alisha
    Super April 2021
    Alisha ·
    • Flag
    It depends on what you are looking for and the budget that you have set for your dress. I set a budget for $1000 and I ended up less than that for my dress.
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I spent $178 on my dress. It all depends on your wants and your budget.

• Heather
    Just Said Yes April 2021
    Heather ·
    • Flag

Hi Karina! You really won't know until you start trying on dresses. I told myself I didn't want to spend more than $500, but after trying on dresses in that range, I was willing to spend $1000. I ended up spending $1200 for a brand new gown in my size since it was only $100 more rather than buying the sample that was too big and spend more money on getting it cleaned and repaired. Plus, it gave me that feeling a bride is supposed to get when she tries on "the one."

Make sure you absolutely love the dress and that you're willing to pay the price for it. Take into account, the alterations, cleaning, and repairs whether it's brand new, used, or a sample. For example, I found a sample dress for $800 (orginally $2300). It was my size, but it was so filthy and needed a lot of repairing. I quoted for cleaning and repairing, it would've cost another $500-$700. I didn't feel it was worth the trouble.

I highly recommend listening to wedding podcasts where they have different topics and there are episodes that specifically talk about all you need to know about shopping for wedding dresses. Check out "Wedding Planning Podcast" and "Bridechilla." They had great insight on wedding dresses.

• Chanda
    Just Said Yes March 2021
    Chanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I guess i'm weird. I went to David's Bridal because to me the dress isn't really that important. I want it to be nice but it's a dress. I put more emphasis on the reception and honeymoon. I wanted my guests to have a good time. My daughters are already married so i'm not passing it down but even if they weren't, they wouldn't wear my dress as is anyway. Spend whatever you want on it. Determine what's a must and what is a maybe. good luck

• Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    I’m spending over 10k and that’s not including alterations. Spend what you’re willing to spend. I told myself I wasn’t going to limit myself to a budget because I wanted to find the right dress no matter the cost. But as pp stated the rule of thumb is usually 10% of the entire budget (for the bride and groom).
  • Sarah
    Savvy October 2020
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    Look, it’s really all about what your set budget is but since you’re asking, I couldn’t justify paying more than $800 or so. And I think that’s generous! You have to factor in for alterations, veil, undergarment/shapewear! It all adds up to increase the total investment beyond what the tag says. Some of my friends have found deals at David’s bridal for $99 and I know a girl who spent $4000 on just the dress alone. I got my dress for around $700 and spent $50 on shapewear/bra, $75 on a veil, and $150 on alterations. Not to mention shoes! So I’m well over budget! It’s just worn for one day, but those pictures last forever and you’ll never forgive yourself if you don’t love the dress. Get what your heart tells you! Good luck!
  • Ania
    Devoted February 2021
    Ania ·
    • Flag
    It is what you are comfortable with, I agree with Jana. My dress was 1500 and my budget was 3500. I couldn't be more happier, I love my dress Smiley smile
  • Ania
    Devoted February 2021
    Ania ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You look so beautiful 💛
  • Hailey
    Savvy October 2020
    Hailey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!!! 🖤🖤🖤
  • Jeanette
    Expert July 2022
    Jeanette ·
    • Flag
    Depends! I've seen some dresses online that are beautiful and good quality, but it's a hit or miss if it's your style. I recommend BHLDN.COM
    If you want to go the traditional bridal shop route as I did, you'll find that most non-bohemian original price dresses start at over $1000. I was pretty shocked by that, so it's good to know I think! If you're lucky enough to have your size in the sales and you like that dress you might do much better! But for someone like me, I'd need so many alterations on a sample size that it would be incredibly costly anyway. I ended up buying my dress for $1700, which was definitely more than I wanted to spend but in the end I was really happy and secure with my decision.
    Also keep in mind that standard alterations at a bridal shop start at already hundreds of dollars. I spent $500 on mine and I didn't even need a hem! I think shopping around at other seamstresses might help cost, but I liked the convenience of staying in the bridal shop I purchased my dress from, plus they know well the brands they carry.Hope that helps. 😊
  • Lisa
    Savvy April 2021
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    My budget is 1200 hoping find something lower than that but 1200 is the cap for me.
  • Christel
    Dedicated October 2020
    Christel ·
    • Flag
    I spent $450. I waited for a sale it was originally $1200. I put in another $90 in alterations for hem and bustle. I didnt want anything super extravagant but the dress I picked sparkles in the light and Is very flattering.Reasonable Price for Wedding Dress? 1

Reasonable Price for Wedding Dress? 2

Reasonable Price for Wedding Dress? 3

• Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag

I've also seen that it's about 10% of the wedding budget, but my entire outfit (dress+alterations, shoes, halo) ended up being about 5% of our budget. I could have spent more than that, but that price range gave me options in every style I was interested in, so spending twice as much would've felt ridiculous. Whatever budget you decide on, unless clothes always fit you perfectly off the rack, plan to spend more than you think you'll need to on alterations.
    Also, if you come back with a price range, a style (romantic, modern, vintage...), or a silhouette (ballgown, a-line, mermaid...), or even a description of your venue, people on here will be able to give you a lot more advice on where to start with the other categories.
  • Hermione
    Expert February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    I spent $400 on the dress and everything in total was under 1k (shoes, alterations to bustle the train and add sleeves, veil was a big shocker, undergarments, petticoat, etc).

Your budget is your budget. I highly recommend renting a wedding dress if the budget is tight or maybe going with a dress that doesn't need much work.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics