We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Amanda
Dedicated June 2021

Pressure to look a certain way on your big day?

Amanda, on April 3, 2020 at 2:49 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 4
Saved Save

Hi Everyone,

First of all I wanna say I think everyone looks stunning on their wedding day and everyday! Also I am not going to come on here and tell girls they need to lose 10 lbs for their wedding to be beautiful because that is just not true. But for me personally I feel this pressure on myself to look a certain way on my wedding day. When I try on my dress I just critique myself saying this could look better, or my stomach could be flatter etc because everyone's eyes will be on you that day. My family tells me I look pretty but it's hard for me to see what they do, especially when you see your dress online on these gorgeous models. (I'm only 4ft 11 lol) How do you all deal with the anxiety or pressure to look like this ideal image you have in your head? I just want to enjoy my wedding day without worrying about the way my certain body parts look! Thanks everyone! Smiley heart Smiley cake

4 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on April 3, 2020 at 6:36 PM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I absolutely feel ya. so i had an eating disorder in college and i worked hard to go thru recovery and am now a mentor to girls in recovery. and when i was engaged i caught myself falling into that fad of bride diets and workouts and i realized you know what of course i want to look good but i need to do it for ME and not for the purpose of one day. so i think changing your mindset of wanting to look and FEEL good for yourself and not only for the wedding, is a big way of helping that mentality out.

also want to add - you are beautiful Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Dedicated June 2021
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Congrats on your recovery!!! Its so hard to get into the mindset of not comparing yourself to others and just love yourself. I completely agree with everything you said!

also- thank you so much, same to you! Smiley shame

• Lydia
    Beginner May 2020
    Lydia ·
    • Flag
    I really relate to this especially right now. I had an eating disorder in the past and wedding planning has made me slip back into old habits and I’ve been extremely hard on myself. I think the wedding planning community can be toxic for me sometimes, seeing brides on here sharing weight loss tips, joking about wedding diets, seeing the beautiful Pinterest wedding pictures makes me feel like I’m supposed to lose weight for my wedding and the pressure I put on myself is so overwhelming sometimes. I’m really trying to be gentle with myself right now, especially with the “quarantine 15” jokes and being surrounded by dieters all the time I have to remind myself that my body has different needs than others and I’m not “better” or “worse” for eating differently. People truly do not critique you as much as you do and no one expects you to look perfect on your wedding day, they’re there to celebrate your love and marriage foremost. It’s very hard because a lot of wedding planning is based on aesthetics but reminding yourself what it’s really about helps me! You’re going to look beautiful on your day and I’m sure your fiancé will think so too! Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Dedicated June 2021
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am so glad you can relate to me! You have actually said it perfectly what I was trying to get at. Social media is definitely toxic and it really does make me compare myself to others when we shouldn’t be doing that! Everyone’s body is different and beautiful! Stay strong you got this! And I know your fiancé will think you look stunning as well! Thank you 🥰🥰🥰

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics