Bree
Beginner May 2020

Plus ones

Bree, on July 9, 2020 at 4:31 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 25

Should everyone get a plus one even if they are single and not dating anyone or married to a registered sex offender but you two have been friends for years... My cousin is determined he should get a plus one, which he did when he had a long term girlfriend. now he has a sex buddy and wants to...

Should everyone get a plus one even if they are single and not dating anyone or married to a registered sex offender but you two have been friends for years...

My cousin is determined he should get a plus one, which he did when he had a long term girlfriend. now he has a sex buddy and wants to bring her to me and my brother's wedding ( my brother is getting married too) so me and my sister in law feel if he can't put a title on this girl, can't make it known they are dating, and keeps sleeping around while with her she doesn't need to come.

My sorority sister is great love her to death but she wants to bring her significant other of a year.... I know he's a registered sex offender i just don't feel comfortable inviting him.

Is it really necessary to invite them or can i not invite them without being rude?

25 Comments

• A
    Super October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Normally, I’m all for including significant others. A sex offender is a huge exception, especially if he makes you uncomfortable. Trust your gut! I wouldn’t let him anywhere near that wedding.
  • Samantha
    Expert October 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Are you having any minors at your wedding? He may not even legally be allowed to attend. And even if he is allowed, minors should be protected at all times. I would not invite him for this reason.
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

I definitely agree with the PPs. Normally, couples need to be invited as a social unit, but a sex offender is definitely an exception. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my wedding

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Cousin not in an established committed relationship need not be given any SO invitation, no SO. Those would be mostly required if he did have an exclusive girlfriend. Plus ones for the not-committed are always optional, and you can give them or not, to anyone you want, with no explanations to anybody. Tell cousin you are the hosts, and are not inviting a date for him. Period. No discussion, he is not entitled to anything.
    Sorority sister should be invited with her SO, or both should be taken off your list, if your issue is that he is an immoral person, because she hangs out with him. If you actually think other guests are at risk, that he as a one time deal might pick up an underage girl at your wedding and attempt to have sex with her, that is something that you can tell her releases you from any obligation to invite him. And you can tell her you will invite her but not him. But often, sex offender designations have nothing to do with picking up strangers, only inapropriate relationships over time, which puts your guests at no risk. Then you are back to, you invite her with her SO, or take her and him off your list. You don't invite half a couple to an event where couples ( not just individuals,) are invited.
    ( If you invited your whole sorority chapter, no husbands or boyfriends, it would be different.)
  • Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

I would definitely say no, you do not need to invite them - AT ALL! Your wedding, your decision Smiley smile my big thing for our wedding is that we don't want anyone there we don't personally know. So, I'm not allowing any form of plus ones. Although, all our friends have long term significant others who are invited/we're friends with, so it's not really an issue anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics