We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Ashley
Just Said Yes May 2021

People who got engaged during the pandemic, when are you planning your wedding for?

Ashley, on October 6, 2020 at 12:59 PM Posted in Planning 0 23
Saved Save

I got engaged in June 2020 and getting mixed reactions to my plan to do a May 2021 wedding. I have been researching but postponing signing venue contracts for 4 months now because I'm nervous how things will be then. We would like to get married sooner rather than later (before next June 2021) and plan on having our ceremony at a Catholic Church. The reception is the whole issue because we will need to celebrate somehow with all the people that flew in for it. All the venues in Philadelphia have high F&B minimums which makes it tough. I'm happy to do a small dinner celebration with like 50 people but I can't even find any restaurants/venues that would accommodate that due to price minimums/requiring buying out the whole restaurant for 20k+. We live in apartments and don't know anyone that could do a backyard/home celebration for us either.

What are the rest of you who got engaged somewhat recently doing? Are you signing 2021 contracts?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Rosa, on October 10, 2020 at 4:26 PM
  • Allie
    Savvy July 2022
    Allie
    • Flag
    I got engaged May 2020, we decided to wait till July 2022. We don鈥檛 want to risk anyone very close to us not feeling comfortable and not wanting to come do to COVID. A lot of our very close family has stated they won鈥檛 go to anything of the sorts till a vaccine is readily available. So we decided to wait. This is giving us time to add on extras we normally won鈥檛 not be able to swing in a year year commitment but with 2 years making it really doable! But to each their own!

I think you should ask those closes to you how they would feel if the climate of the world is similar to now as it would be in 7 months from now.
    I send you all the good vibes to make the best decision for you! 馃挄
  • Katie
    Expert January 2021
    Katie
    • Flag

Enjoy your engagement. I would highly advise against a summer 2021 date. As far as cost is concerned, that does give you more time to save but more importantly, to *hopefully* not have to worry about Covid while planning. I feel bad for a lot of people who rescheduled to 2021 only to soon be realizing they'll still have to adjust plans. It doesn't sound like that is as much of a concern for you as the cost, but again, if you wait longer you can save for longer.

• Allison
    Savvy June 2022
    Allison
    • Flag

Congrats! We got engaged on Feb. 28, 2020. We have always been planning for a June 2022 wedding so we have always had a date in mind. The one thing I will say is that depending on your location, there are still going to be restrictions on indoor capacity and mask-wearing until next summer 2021. If your comfortable with a smaller guest list (less than 100) and or with people wearing masks, or making the reception outside, then I wouldn't worry too much, but if you don't want to plan with coivd restrictions I would say that starting Fall 2021 would be safe.

One thing we have noticed as we were planning is that A LOT of 2021 Saturday dates are already filling up from people pushing their 2020 dates back. So if you have a date in mind or are looking for a short engagement, I would start with the Venue search as soon as you can.

• Apryl
    Savvy March 2022
    Apryl
    • Flag
    We got engaged in June and we're planning for March 2022. Hopefully that's enough time to wait out COVID-19.
  • Jessica
    Savvy February 2021
    Jessica
    • Flag
    Got engaged February 2020, moving forward with February 2021! We're entirely aware that there will be limits, but we personally want to just get married sooner rather than later. Postponing isn't really an option for us, so we've needed to accept that we'll probably need to make concessions. Even if it's just us, the priest, and our immediate families, we'll be moving forward. Ultimately, when thinking about weddings in the first half of 2021, we brides all need to ask ourselves if our priority is having our dream wedding celebration (postpone) or getting married sooner (accept not having a normal wedding). The choice sucks 馃槶 But such is the world at the moment!

And we just want to get married lol! Currently, we're hoping we can have most of our guests at the Church (distanced, masked), maybe do our first dance and such out in the parking lot, livestream all of that, and then have a small dinner with our families and bridal party if nothing else! We may do either our initial reception or a big picnic style outdoor celebration with everyone when things get better, though we have no idea as to the timeline for that! Tbh, will even that be able to happen? We have no idea. But we just want to get married. Maybe you're in the same boat!
    The trickiest part is of course the vendors, but most of ours seem to be pretty good about COVID. They seem to be open to postponing and then most of the money isnt due until close to the wedding date, so cancelling won't be too much of a financial loss if for some reason we can't reschedule. But DEFINITELY ask upfront what their postponement policies are, especially before you pay. One benefit of planning now as to just before COVID is that we know we need to ask these questions of our vendors, rather than having just finished up your payments and then suddenly having no choice but to postpone indefinitely because of a pandemic no one could have expected.
    So yeah, just ask yourself what your priorities are and go from there. Flexibility is key! Everyone is responding differently to this, but at the end of the day, you'll be married and that's what counts Smiley smile
  • H
    Just Said Yes January 2022
    Hannah
    • Flag

We got engaged June 2020 and are planning for January 2022! We are hoping it will be safe by that point as the majority of our family and friends will need to fly. Definitely also have been considering just a small elopement with our immediate families.

• Laquita
    Devoted July 2021
    Laquita
    • Flag

Well first off, congrats on your engagement. The best thing I can say is do what you feel is best for you since it's your wedding so it's up to you & your FH to decide on when you want to hold a ceremony. One thing I would do if you want a 2021 wedding is book your venue asap because dates are filling up FAST. Do some digging, you may find something that fits your needs & budget/guest list.

We got engaged April 2020, and booked our venue for July 2021 by the beginning of June. We figured that since so many weddings were cancelled, we needed to move quick enough and we were correct to book because our original date was taken. Ours doesn't charge a site fee & the minimum is like $6k as Sundays are cheaper than Fridays & Saturdays. So far, we have booked for 60 people (minimum) and we're not paying for alcohol so that lowered our overall cost even more. If we're forced to adjust by then, we'll just do that, but we decided we're still getting married on our date regardless.

• A
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley
    • Flag
    We got engaged in April and will be getting married in October 2021. Our wedding is almost completely booked. I just need hair/makeup.
    We talked with each vendor about COVID backup plans and ensured the contracts would protect us in the event of postponing. It鈥檚 a good thing we booked everything already because most of our vendors are now entirely booked for 2021 weddings.
  • L
    Expert September 2020
    • Flag
    My sister in law got engaged in May 2020 and booked her wedding for May 2021. She honestly doesnt seem nervous at all but it also seems like no one鈥檚 really talking about the wedding besides her which makes me think no one thinks it鈥檒l happen. Idk why she did that tbh, if I were you I鈥檇 just get married and plan a reception for 2022. Wouldnt wish planning a wedding for during a pandemic on anyone, it takes the fun out of it entirely.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine
    • Flag
    Have you checked any hotels? We had our minimony at 1 hotel and will have our big celebration at another
  • T
    Expert April 2021
    Tiger Bride
    • Flag

I got engaged in April '19 and planned a wedding for October '20, which is now April '21. There is a date I like in '22 but didn't want to postpone that far.

If we had gotten engaged in the last few months, I would have planned for 2022. Trying to do something quickly in the middle of all the uncertainty would be way too much stress.

• Bo Miller
    Expert December 2020
    Bo Miller
    • Flag

We got engaged in July of 2020 and are going for November of 2021. We haven't signed contracts yet (well we did, but our venue had a policy change that we didn't agree with so we got our money back and we are basically starting over). But I have found the hair and make up artist that I want as well as the photographer just waiting until I have the venue until we lock those in.

• Soon To Be a Melendez
    Savvy December 2020
    Soon To Be a Melendez
    • Flag

We got engaged April 2020. We are getting married December 2020

• Ashley
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Ashley
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow! Where and how many people?
  • Soon To Be a Melendez
    Savvy December 2020
    Soon To Be a Melendez
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

In Georgia and about 75-80 people! It may be less but I expect with his family being so big itll definitely be about 60

• Ashley
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Ashley
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's what I'm looking to do. What kind of venue is the reception at?
  • Jay
    Dedicated September 2021
    Jay
    • Flag

I got engaged at the end of May this year, and we're planning on September 2021. We're also having a Catholic ceremony. However, I'm not super optimistic next year will work. We aren't interested in a mini reception--we want to be able to invite our guest list of 150, and we want mingling & dancing. Basically, we will need a viable and well-distributed vaccine before September. Because we know this, we've gone into planning with a backup already decided: we will get married in the church next September, with maybe a toast after, and move the reception to 2022 (or maybe later!). We've already picked our limited COVID guest list (immediate family) and extended COVID guest list (wedding party & godparents), but we will invite as many to the ceremony as we safely can! We've discussed this plan with all potential vendors so we can learn about how they will handle it and make decisions about booking with them accordingly.

All that being said, we're pretty behind in planning! I've been putting off booking things I see as less necessary--hair, makeup, flowers, DJ--until I have a better sense of how viable our original plan is.

Your situation is a bit different, though. I recently had a friend who attended a wedding that took place in a garden rented out by the couple. The ceremony was there, which wouldn't apply to you, but then they had a champagne toast & cake in their seats, and that was it for the reception. Are there any parks or gardens in Philly that let you rent out the space & bring in food? You may not want an alcohol focus, but have you looked into breweries? I feel like many (at least around here, in New England) allow you to bring in your own food & have pretty big spaces you can rent.

• Martha
    Devoted February 2024
    Martha
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Engagement twin, hi. We are undecided on our wedding date due to Covid, moving to a house next year. Then shooting to buy our own home, we like the idea of October 22,2022 but we shall see, its looking more like leap day in 2024.

• Allison
    Savvy June 2022
    Allison
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is such a cute date! Oct. 22, 2022! My fiance is in medical school so we have a very short window to when we can get married, so June 11, 2022 has always been the game plan since we first started talking about getting engaged.

If you don't have a timeline, you could always get married at the courthouse or do a minimony and a house party later just to have the benefits of getting legally married. House hunting can be stressful, so separating the two plans might be nice.

• Martha
    Devoted February 2024
    Martha
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

June 11 is a very nice time of the year, hope you have good weather. We have thought about doing the courthouse but we want to hold off a tiny bit. I will start nursing school next year while being full time, we are expanding our business and will be moving into a house, after 2 years then well serious house hunt. 2020 has been eventful but its been a quiet year for us and I appreciate the quiet before next year.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles