M
Just Said Yes June 2010

Order of Bridesmaids

Melissa, on November 10, 2009 at 12:05 PM Posted in Planning 0 22
Saved Save

Hi,

I have 4 bridesmaids and one MOH. I don't know what order to put them in for the wedding without somebody feeling upset. (4 are my sisters and one is my future sister-in-law). We have 5 groomsmen as well so they would walk down in pairs.Two of my sisters already told me they would be mad if they are last. Any ideas??

22 Comments

• RavenK
    Super September 2014
    RavenK ·
    • Flag

I think traditionally the MOH/Best Man are the last ones to walk down before flower girl (if you have one) and then you....I've seen some people walk/pair them according to height as well...whichever way makes you happy I don't think there is a "set" way it has to be done.

• yadayada
    Master October 2009
    yadayada ·
    • Flag

I think MOH is typically last because she will be standing next to you at the altar. And no offense, but what's up with your sisters?

• CPeterson
    Devoted May 2010
    CPeterson ·
    • Flag

I like Ravens idea, if they are all different heights then go that way otherwise put numers in a hat and have them each draw one and whatever number they draw is the order they walk...technically the first one to walk is going to be the last one in line at the alter.

• 3.6.10Bride
    Super March 2010
    3.6.10Bride ·
    • Flag

Since they're your sisters, why not do it by age order? That way there will be a reason for the way they're ordered and it won't seem like you're playing favorites.

• J.J
    Master September 2011
    J.J ·
    • Flag

I agree that picking names out of a hat sounds like the best way to go. And also the MOH does go last because she stands next to you. So I guess if your MOH doesn't like that then that's on her, not you. Tell your sisters to get over themselves..sheesh..:-) Don't let their negativity get to you. This is your day and your ceremony so you have the final say on where they are in line. If they get mad at you over something this little then they are the ones with issues, not you.

• Sharon Hemmerich
    February 2020
    Sharon Hemmerich ·
    • Flag

Generally height works best for picture purposes. Except MOH they walk right in front of the bride, unless flower girl ring bearer they walk in front of bride and MOH in front of them. Tell your sisters if they are different hights you put them in height order for picture purposes. However there are no set rules except traditionally MOH

• MrsDevine
    Master August 2010
    MrsDevine ·
    • Flag

I think you should order them acording to height. and yeah moh will probably come in last. but if you do it by height, people cant be offended thinking that you like this one more than the other and all that crap. lol. people get really sensitive when it comes to weddings!

• Danielle S
    VIP June 2010
    Danielle S ·
    • Flag

I would say the height idea or even the age idea. But usually the MOH does go last. Right before you. When I was in my sisters wedding that is how it worked and I was the MOH and I walked in right before her.

• FMS, the barefoot wife!
    Master August 2010
    FMS, the barefoot wife! ·
    • Flag

I only have two, but I know MOH goes last, before the flower girl (if your FG is throwing petals) and then from there you can order then however you want, height for pictures, or age for your sisters, or out of a hat, it's your day, you decide, and if they give you grief, just tell them that this way is traditional..lol

• FMS, the barefoot wife!
    Master August 2010
    FMS, the barefoot wife! ·
    • Flag

For our ceremony, it will be my one BM, then my MOH, then my flower girls, I haven't decided if the ring bear will walk with the guys, or walk with the flower girls

• The Potters
    Master September 2009
    The Potters ·
    • Flag

When walking down it is usually best to go from shortest to tallest. But of course your MOH always walks down last out of the BMs, and that way she ends up standing closest to you at the altar.

• Jessica
    Expert November 2009
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I put mine in alphabetical order - that way they couldn't get crabby with one another! LOL

• JJ
    Master December 2009
    JJ ·
    • Flag

Age order or by height. they should understand. if not, they are being drama queens. it isn't about them.

• H
    Devoted October 2010
    HPFanatic ·
    • Flag

Draw straws. Seriously. Or do it by height or birthdays. Just don't do it by how much you like each of them.

• M
    Devoted May 2010
    Marcy G ·
    • Flag

You sisters are going to be mad if they are not in the order they want?!! Thats nuts

• Amy
    Dedicated December 2009
    Amy ·
    • Flag

I also have my 2 sister and my future sister in law. ( his brothers fiance) my oldest sister moh will be next to me then fsil then my youngest sister.. we basically did it by age. youngest at the end

• Pumpkin
    VIP October 2010
    Pumpkin ·
    • Flag

I picked my future sister-in-law to be my MoH instead of either of my two best friends because I knew they would fight! His sister obviously deserves a place of honor and then I put my friends in order of who I've known longest (longest first, of course) even though it was only by a couple of days. They were perfectly fine with the set up.

I would go with age order, personally.

• kt
    Dedicated November 2009
    kt ·
    • Flag

I did mine in the order of how how long I've known them..so doing them in ages like 3610 bride suggested would work for you too...that way no one can have hurt feelings.

• 91810bride
    Devoted September 2010
    91810bride ·
    • Flag

I think that the age order works well with sisters!! In mine I did it in like a time frame! The order that they came into my life!

• Lainey
    Dedicated August 2010
    Lainey ·
    • Flag

Tell your sisters that it's your day, and if they don't like it to stay out of it lol that is ridiculous!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics