Weddinglover1991
Dedicated August 2018

Online RSVP

Weddinglover1991, on July 10, 2017 at 6:59 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 31
Saved Save

What are your thoughts on mailing out invites but having everyone RSVP on our wedding website? Is that considered bad etiquette like e-vites are? Would it make you think the wedding is less formal?

31 Comments

• Colleen
    Super October 2017
    Colleen ·

We are doing it! When I spoke to my mom she was totally on board, I wash shocked! I asked around to a few others and my cousin said she had just been to a wedding that did online RSVP and it was so much easier and she likes it better. FH's best friend is getting married 2 weeks before us and I RSVP'ed to the bridal shower online. One downside to that is I had to RSVP for the wedding at the same time, which I know we are going since FH is in the wedding. They used the knot so I'm not sure if you open bridal shower and other event online RSVP if it will make you RSVP for the wedding at the same time. I didn't like that part of theirs. But it also saves you a ton on postage. I put my cell number for the few older people that don't know how to use a computer, such as our grandparents and that is hardly anyone invited to our wedding.

• WinterSweet
    Devoted July 2017
    WinterSweet ·

We did that. We were able to officially set a date less than 4 months in advance, add time to order and receive invites, etc... We thought this would be cost and time effective. The people who didn't RSVP online were ones who weren't planning on responding anyway, for the most part. We had a lot of people who just assumed we knew one way or the other and a few who called us to let us know.

• Kennyeh
    Super August 2018
    Kennyeh ·

I plan to mail out invites to the older guest and have everyone rsvp through the website or by contacting FH and I. Hopefully it works out well. Plus I believe if you can function a Facebook account, you can rsvp on a website lol

• Jameena
    Expert August 2017
    Jameena ·

We did this! And I put a phone number for the not so tech savvy guests. Online RSVP's can be a little glitchy so that's why we put a phone number.

• Caitlin
    Master July 2017
    Caitlin ·

We did online RSVP's for all but about 10 people (those who aren't tech savvy) and only 1 person had issues using it.

• Amber
    Devoted April 2018
    Amber ·

I'm going to have online RSVP. I'm using Minted. What I like the most is that when I add the names I also put the number of the party so that way people can't add extra people to the RSVP like I've heard about people doing

• mel
    Super September 2017
    mel ·

I'm doing it using The Knot. The only downside is if you or your guest makes a typo they get an error and can't RSVP. And they have to input both a first and last name or they'll get an error. The fields should both be marked "required", but the knot hasn't done that, so it'll just say your name isn't on the list.

• MrsBeetoBe
    Super October 2017
    MrsBeetoBe ·

I'm doing online RSVPs through minted which i really love. they have it set up so you can limit how many people they can RSVP for (for example, if just Aunt Maude is invited, you can set it to 1, so she can't RSVP for 5 people). you can also set custom forms on there, so i have a space for people to write their meal choices and the name of their 1 if applicable. we're not deep in the RSVP process yet, but so far i'm really happy.

i would also say, i'm happy with how minted does the name searching. if you just type in "Jones", it will pop up like, "are you Doug and Amy Jones? or Barbara Jones?". It makes it pretty easy for the guests i think. they don't have to match exactly to whatever you write in there.

• Andrea
    Devoted August 2017
    Andrea ·

I spent a pretty penny on invites and inclusure cards. I have a website RSVP, I still had to call or text to get the vast majority of my rsvps. I would recommend just have a email address that is for RSVP. But you can simplify the process as much as possible and still have to chase people down.

• Simone
    Beginner September 2018
    Simone ·

It better not be tacky because thats exactly what I'm doing! Lol

• Jaime W
    Devoted September 2017
    Jaime W ·

I'm doing this and so far it's gone pretty good. I feel like you get the Rsvp's back faster since they don't have to be mailed.

• Erika
    Devoted September 2017
    Erika ·

Not bad etiquette in the slightest but I do think it's less formal.

• TheeOne2Love
    VIP December 2017
    TheeOne2Love ·

Im doing this too. I have done it for weddings I have attended as well. We communicate with our entire guest list in some form of social media so it shouldnt be a problem. We are using ewedding.com

• Dreamer
    Master May 2013
    Dreamer ·

We had a very formal wedding and we still did it - 4 years ago, too. I did enough online reading to know how many of the cards are never returned.

We invited 250 guests and heard from all but 2, through our wedding website's RSVP page, 10 days before our due date. Even my then 87 year old grandmother was able to do it.

• Susan
    VIP December 2017
    Susan ·

We're doing it. We figured it was a good way to limit people trying to RSVP for more people than are invited.

• Alicia
    Expert August 2017
    Alicia ·

That's what I did, except I sent paper rsvp to guests who are less tech savvy. No one complained, and it kept people from adding extras.

• Kate
    Expert August 2017
    Kate ·

We are doing online and I LOVE it.

• Tara
    Super September 2017
    Tara ·

I sent my invites out a week ago with our wedding website in rsvp cards as the way to respond, already have 25% who have responded, so I think it's great! Hopefully not tacky, since this is how we did it too lol

• Doty
    Expert June 2017
    Doty ·

That's exactly what we did and it worked pretty well

• Hannah
    Devoted October 2017
    Hannah ·

That's what I did. I made my wedding website through the Zola app and I get notifications when some RSVPS and it's amazing and so helpful

Comment on this discussion