Jenna
Beginner December 2021

One week till wedding and bridesmaid doesn’t have a dress

Jenna, on December 4, 2021 at 3:57 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 27
Saved
I’m getting married on Saturday. I started planning my wedding about a year and a half ago and gave my bridesmaids directions to buy floorlength wine red dresses. All of my bridesmaids have their dresses except for one who has not purchased one. She now does not have time to order one online. I am actually starting to panic given that she needs to have this dress purchased and fitted by saturday. Am I being unreasonable?

27 Comments

Latest activity by Jenna, on December 15, 2021 at 2:21 AM
  • Ashlee
    Expert September 2022
    Ashlee ·
    • Flag

Are there any dress stores nearby she can purchase one off the rack? I know wedding week is stressful and busy already, but maybe you can go out shopping with her to ensure she gets one.

Has she said why she didn't purchase one yet?

• Jenna
    Beginner December 2021
    Jenna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Well the interesting thing is that she lied to me about six months ago saying that she had bought one but I was informed just last night that she was not telling the truth and that she does not have a dress. She’s going to try supposedly to find one off the rack but I am honestly very uncomfortable at this point. I work 80 hours a week at my job and I also I’m full time in college and this is my finals week so I don’t know if I can actually find the time to go to a store to find her a dress.
  • Natalie
    Super November 2020
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    Wow! I’m sorry you are dealing with this extra stress during your wedding week. I would deal with this by saying, if she gets a dress in time, perfect! She’s continuing to be in the wedding party. If she does not find a dress, she can attend as a guest. She has had plenty of time to find a dress, and I would not expect you to add more to your plate at this late in the game to shop with her to find a dress!
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Check on Amazon - they surprisingly have quite a few bridesmaids dresses. Otherwise, if she isn't able to find one off the rack or anywhere else, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to not have her walk down the aisle.
  • Monique
    Just Said Yes November 2021
    Monique ·
    • Flag
    I had similar situations with my bridesmaids ordering their dresses to arrive just two days before the wedding not knowing if they were going to fit correctly. Most likely everything will work out in the end. If Amazon or stores off the rack don’t have any, have her check local resale sites. OfferUp, Poshmark, facebook marketplace, etc. Those also work if she’s on a budget and can be especially great if she finds one already hemmed to her height.
  • Victoria
    Beginner January 2022
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    Maybe see if there are bridal shops that will allow her to buy something off the rack. She may be able to find something that doesn't need to be altered.
  • Ashlee
    Expert September 2022
    Ashlee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with Natalie then, tell her that if she has one by rehearsal day, she can be in the wedding, if not, she can attend as a guest as you've given her ample time to get one.

• Cece
    Rockstar November 2022
    Cece ·
    • Flag
    There are lots of wine colored bridesmaids dresses on Amazon that could be to her doorstep by Tuesday. I’d tell her to order one ASAP! In the end though, it is up to her to figure out her situation- if she does, you can move on as planned; if she doesn’t, then she can attend as a guest.
  • Jasmine E.
    Rockstar May 2022
    Jasmine E. Online ·
    • Flag
    You said she lied to you months ago about having her dress already. Do you still want someone in your bridal party who was dishonest with you?
  • Cathy
    Dedicated September 2022
    Cathy ·
    • Flag
    Just here to say that I am sorry that your bridesmaid is doing this to you…I do agree with Natalie & others that if she doesn’t have an appropriate dress by the wedding, she can attend as a guest. Try to breathe this week…it will be stressful, but in the end you will be married to your soulmate & many new adventures await you!
  • Jay
    Beginner August 2023
    Jay ·
    • Flag

I am sorry that you are experiencing this. If she doesn't have her dress, then she would be out of the wedding party. You have enough on your plate and she has had plenty of time. Her place in your wedding must not have been important enough to purchase a dress within the given time frame. As others have said, Amazon has alot of great deals on bridesmaids dresses for a great cost with fast shipping, if it is being shipped from within the US. I only have 2 bridesmaids for my wedding, wanted to cutdown on the headache of drama and stress, and I purchased their bridesmaids dresses from Amazon, which they came from China within a week.

i hope all goes well for you. Do not allow this to stress you out before your big day. The most important thing is that you are marrying the love of your life.

• V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag

I completely understand why you are stressed. My sister, who was MOH, pulled similar crap a week before my wedding. Thankfully, she was able to get a different dress in time since she didn't like the first one. I would recommend telling she needs to either go to a store and buy one now and send you a photo of the receipt or buy one on Amazon and send you a screen shot of the purchase. Otherwise tell her she won't be participating in the wedding anymore.

• P
    Dedicated April 2023
    Peyton ·
    • Flag

Actions speak louder than words. She isn’t acting like she wants to be in the wedding. Let her decide. If she wants to be in the wedding, she will find a way to get a dress. If she doesn’t, it is her loss

• E
    Dedicated February 2023
    Elycia ·
    • Flag

You're not being unreasonable at all. Give her a short deadline, 2 days or something and tell her she needs to purchase a dress and send you photos of her in the dress to prove to you that she has one. Otherwise she can no longer be in your wedding party. Not having a dress a week before your wedding is honestly incredibly disrespectful to you especially since she lied about it.

• Melinda
    Devoted March 2022
    Melinda ·
    • Flag

Maybe I'm wrong here but I wouldn't want someone in my wedding who has lied to me for six months.

• Jenna
    Beginner December 2021
    Jenna ·
    • Flag
    Thank you all for your suggestions. And thank you for the concern expressed about her character. I am already aware of the problems and after the wedding will not be pursuing my friendship with her. I have been engaged for almost 2 years and back whenever I asked her to be a bridesmaid she and I were much closer friends. I was simply allowing her to fulfill her obligation in the wedding because I knew it could be hurtful to her if I removed her.
  • Ivana
    Just Said Yes February 2022
    Ivana ·
    • Flag
    I am type A to the core but I am a LOT more relaxed when it comes to my wedding. My small wedding party has absolutely no dress code. Everyone has a million things going on, my wedding or a dress isn't the only thing on peoples' agenda. However, I have friends who I love and respect very much who have been militant when I stood up in their weddings so I had to be respectful and comply to their wishes. She will find an "off the rack dress" and it'l look great on her. You can't stress over things like these. It's just not worth it. You won't remember or care about this a year from now. Good luck!
  • Jenna
    Beginner December 2021
    Jenna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m sorry but they’ve had plenty of time to choose dresses- I do not believe that I’m being unreasonable . If they don’t have one by now, it’s straight up offensive.
  • Ava
    Savvy October 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Tell her she is no longer a bridesmaid
  • Samantha
    Expert August 2022
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I wish you could pick bridesmaids, like, 3 months before the wedding😅 I feel like wedding planning and moving into a new phase of life can really help show if a friendship was built to last or not. Good luck with the dress, the friend, and especially good luck on your finals!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics