Elizabeth
Just Said Yes October 2021

October 10, 2020 in Texas - Postpone or Keep Going??

Elizabeth, on July 9, 2020 at 2:20 PM Posted in Texas Planning 1 17
Saved
Reply

Hi Everyone!

I'm sure this has been posted a million times, but I wanted to get other couples' opinions!

Our wedding is 10/10/2020 in the hill country of Texas and will be outdoor. We kept trying to move forward with planning, but now cases of the virus have been spiking up again lately. We are about 90 days out from the day and I'm so conflicted!

My folks are here in Texas, but all of my fiance's family are in California. With everyone not being local, I'm just afraid it will be asking too much of his family to travel the distance.

Both his and my mom are immunocompromised, which scares me having everyone gather. And, my dad had liver transplant surgery early March and is still in the hospital with no idea when he will be home. (he has been in the hospital since January and just moved out of ICU about 2 weeks ago)

I want to give everyone notice if we postpone so I don't want to wait until the last minute! Of course, talking to family and friends, they have been so supportive with the decision we make either way.

Any comments, suggestions and input from other brides and grooms are appreciated! : )

-Liz


17 Comments

Latest activity by Elizabeth, on September 16, 2020 at 11:26 AM
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

    If you are uncomfortable I would postpone.

    • Reply
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

    It's totally up to you and your FH. We're having our wedding in the FL Keys and we're wedding twins - Full Steam ahead for us. cases are on the rise, our guests have already said they're coming and some that we were anticipating a "no" answer from actually said yes. The world is NOT going to shut down again.

    At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for you and your FH.

    • Reply
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Sorry to hear about your father and hope that he continues to recover well and is discharged soon. We were also a 10/10/20 couple, having a destination wedding in Vegas. So all of our 65 guests (including FH and I) had to travel there. That was one of the big factors that caused us to postpone, among other things.

    But, if our wedding was local here in SoCal, it would have been easier to move forward, since 90% of our guests live here and would be a single day event for a few hours. But for all the plans we had to host a wedding weekend, it was just too uncertain and wasn’t going to be as comfortable to interact and lovingly celebrate with everyone.. So we are hoping for the best next October.


    Since tomorrow is the 3-month mark, we’re texting our postponement announcement (and then we’ll mail our change the date cards later).
    It’s a tough decision and we had to literally write down the pros and cons in order to weigh it all out. So best wishes with your decision!

    • Reply
  • Karly
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Karly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We are also in the south Florida area & our wedding is on October 3rd in Broward county. we have about 180 people so not knowing for sure if we will be able to have our whole list . Is your wedding large or small and is your venue giving you any issues about it ?
    • Reply
  • Futuremrsn
    Devoted October 2020
    Futuremrsn ·
    • Flag
    Ugh so sorry girl!! We postponed our May wedding to 10/4/20 in Pennsylvania but all of my FH’s family lives in Texas so we don’t even know if they’ll be able to fly out now! At this point, as much as we want everyone to be together, our life has already been pushed back with events this year, so we are going through with it in October with those who can make it! We will include them somehow, whether it be through Zoom or some form of online program. I hope everything works out for you!!
    • Reply
  • Desiree
    Beginner September 2020
    Desiree ·
    • Flag
    We are right there with you! We were an original April 2020 wedding and postponed it to September 2020 in north Texas (Outdoor ceremony/indoor reception) for about 140 guests, only me and my fiancé live in Atlanta GA, the rest of the family are local to north Texas. We’ve been engaged for two years and together for 8, at this point while we want to celebrate with all our loved ones in the safest environment, COVID isn’t going away anytime soon and we don’t want to push our wedding date back any longer than we already have so we are going full steam ahead. At the end of the day, we and all of our guests are aware of the risks so we understand to each is own comfort level in coming and if it ends up being a small intimate wedding, we’ll still be thrilled to have gone through with it. Most of our guests said they still plan on being there regardless, some will wear masks just to feel safer in general and some will leave after the ceremony. It’s a tough decision but do what feels right in your heart, good luck! ♥️
    • Reply
  • Elizabeth
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Thanks Molly! I've just been uncomfortable for my parents and fiance's parents due to their health! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Elizabeth
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Thank you Margaret! I know, you are right! I'm so happy to hear you guys are moving forward! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Elizabeth
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Thanks Sexypoodle! I think that has been the toughest part about the decision! With everyone having to travel! Best wishes for your new wedding date! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Elizabeth
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

    Hey Karly! I hope for the best with your Florida wedding! Luckily, the venue has been super sweet about it. They are fine with either way! We are planning for 100 people, but think it will be super downsized because of the virus.

    • Reply
  • Elizabeth
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

    Brittany, what a great idea to include people on Zoom! I hope the best for you guys!! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Elizabeth
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

    Desiree, I can't imagine the stress of already postponing the first time! 8 years! That's amazing! I wish all the best for your wedding! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Jenny
    Savvy November 2021
    Jenny ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    I feel very similarly - we have also been together 8 years, and that is a huge factor in not wanting to postpone. We are just ready to be married! And I agree, I don't think the situation will be much different/improved by next year. But I do keep obsessively reading the news and fellow brides posts on here - anxious times.

    • Reply
  • Ingrid
    VIP October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    We're a 10/9/20 reception couple, we made the hard decision earlier this week. We had people flying in from Texas. We decided to postpone for the sake of everyone's health, our vision and not wanting to lose everything we invested. After 2.5 years of planning it was heartbreaking to push it out even further but we did and are now looking forward to next year and our DW in Jamaica in October.
    • Reply
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie Online ·
    • Flag

    That's such a tough decision Elizabeth, I'm so sorry you're dealing with it. Have you thought about doing a smaller ceremony and celebration with your families, and a bigger reception with extended family and friends later? Ultimately all you can do listen to local guidance, take smart social distancing precautions like being outside, and do what you and your fiancé are most comfortable with.❤️

    Here are a few other discussions I've seen where October couples are sharing their concerns and updates - they may be helpful for you to join as well: October brides-postpone or holding on, October 2020 weddings.. postpone or no?, Fall 2020 brides...whats your new guest count??

    • Reply
  • K
    Savvy October 2020
    Karen ·
    • Flag

    Hi Elizabeth,

    At first, my plan was to go through with the wedding and reception no matter what. However, looking at what is going on in Texas, with the rising COVID cases (on a daily basis), I've decided to downsize my wedding ceremony to 10 people (immediate family only), and no reception. I may, or may not, have a reception in the future. That is to be determined at a later date.

    • Reply
  • Elizabeth
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

    Hey Everyone! Thanks again for all the help! We have decided to postpone until next year. After a lot of deliberation, the ultimate reason for the postponement was because of my dad. He just came home about a week ago and has a long way to go with his healing process. He still can't walk or get up/stand up on his own. I just couldn't imagine him being at the hospital for 9 months and then driving him 5 hours away for a big weekend trip only a couple of weeks of being home. It just felt like it would be too much for him to handle. (plus, after a transplant, your immune system is super sensitive, so I think it's best to wait)

    I feel so lucky to even have my dad still with us after being told to make "arrangements" for end of life.

    Corona or not, we will definitely be married in 2021, but I feel certain I made the right decision.

    All the corona brides out there planning weddings for 2020/2021, let's keep positive! Smiley heart

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics