Janeen
Master January 2015

NWR: Too many MLM people asking me to buy things

Janeen, on December 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Posted in Community Conversations 48

The thing that I hate about Christmas is that the people who sell multi-level marketing stuff out of their home pop out of the woodwork and bug the crap out of me. No, I don't want to buy shakeology. Yes, I know that you make a good salary working out of your home for 2 hours a day. No, I don't want...

The thing that I hate about Christmas is that the people who sell multi-level marketing stuff out of their home pop out of the woodwork and bug the crap out of me. No, I don't want to buy shakeology. Yes, I know that you make a good salary working out of your home for 2 hours a day. No, I don't want to make money by helping people. I totally get that these companies are great from people who want to work from home, but please please please do not capitalize on an existing friend/acquaintenceship to sell me something.

The most recent offender is someone I went to high school with has decided to sell Jamberry nails. Awhile ago, she messaged me and asked why I haven't tried her product. I said that I was doing races every other weekend and was literally digging through mud, so I don't do my nails. Now that that's over, she's bothering me to try it for the wedding. No, No. No. No. No. I've hidden her posts and I don't answer. Are you guys being bothered too?

48 Comments

• rusticbride
    Master May 2014
    rusticbride ·
    • Flag

I hate it too, and everyone's doing it now with one company or another. I don't buy from anyone that is annoying. I get the same kind of stuff thrown at me from work because people who work here also have side jobs with these other companies like Jamberry, Tastefully Simple, Pampered Chef, Avon, etc. So they bring that crap to work with them. I only buy from certain people.

• Melissa
    Super April 2015
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Just on a side note, I have a couple friends who are selling Pampered Chef now, and I can't believe how poor the quality is on those products now. My mom used to buy a lot of Pampered Chef since it really was great quality and had a good warranty. It's AWFUL now! We've bought two different items that have broken within 5 uses, and the warranty didn't cover one of them.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

Wow really? My deep covered baker has been great, but I already own other cookware so I never buy anything else.

• Mallori
    Expert January 2015
    Mallori ·
    • Flag

I admit to selling Scentcy, but I'm my biggest customer. I post on FB maybe twice a month if there is a good sale or something. I also hate being harassed by sales people of all kinds.

• Kerri
    Expert April 2015
    Kerri ·
    • Flag

Right after I read this I signed onto facebook and had a message about Nerium! What gets me is that there are so many of us that can't stand this, but it seems like everyone is doing it! I personally would feel VERY uncomfortable trying to sell to my friends.

• jane
    Expert March 2015
    jane ·
    • Flag

Janeen - You know what would be great for your wedding? 3d mascara!

j/k

• Jennifer
    Super August 2015
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I had someone I knew, very tentatively, in law school that joined some weight loss program that includes direct sales. She lost weight and then I started getting messages on facebook about joining her group. I am guessing she only sent it to people she considers fat, so I definitely found it a bit offensive. Yes, I want to loose weight, but I don't want you making a judgement that I should loose weight.

She even messaged me again, congratulating me on my engagement and asking if I wanted to join her. It kind of sucked the joy out of the moment for me.

• Lori
    Master June 2015
    Lori ·
    • Flag

I don't like asking my friends to loan me a dollar to buy a bottle of pop out of the vending machine, let alone buy unnecessary crap from me to support my career.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

HAHAHA omg I actually was going to try younique!!!!

• jane
    Expert March 2015
    jane ·
    • Flag

I've never tried it but it's the MLM request I receive the most these days. If you do actually try it, please let us know if you like it.

• Shelby H.
    VIP October 2014
    Shelby H. ·
    • Flag

I also have a friend who does Nerium but it's amazing.

• L + R
    Master September 2014
    L + R ·
    • Flag

If I get another itWorks sample I might freak out. What's worse is that my sister tried selling it and "gave" me a wrap for Christmas last year. It was her last one that she couldn't sell. I still haven't used it.

• MrsDean
    Master April 2015
    MrsDean ·
    • Flag

I'm actually a Beachbody Coach but I agree that it's super annoying - all the "I make a million dollars working from home and spending more time with my kids" posts. All the MLM's make the exact same claims. I still get weekly residual checks from when I was actively building my team in Beachbody, but I don't really work the biz anymore. I'm still a coach because I love their fitness programs. But I don't advertise it. The Shakeology pushing and high sales posts on FB are a turnoff!

• L + A
    VIP May 2015
    L + A ·
    • Flag

The weirdos come out of the woodwork. I have a friend, love her to death, but she posted a Jamberry picture of a sheet of nails custom designed for the Packers. She then tagged me in a comment.

I was tempted, but really?! That makes me want to buy them... from someone else selling Jamberry that isn't harrassing me directly.

• Melissa
    Super April 2015
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Janeen, we got one of the little choppers that you push down on and it rotates and the little plastic cover that goes around it cracked almost immediately. We also got some of nice glass tupperware with the snap on lids and the lids will literally just blow off lol. Like I'll open the fridge and the snaps have popped up, and we didn't put hot stuff in it or anything like that.

• Jess
    Master May 2015
    Jess ·
    • Flag

A little off topic, but since this is somewhat centered on the holidays.... something that really grinds my gears are all the "gift ideas!" that pop up. I could give a crap about the commercialization of the holidays... I'm not religious, so it's a purely commercial holiday to me... it's all the non-gift things that suddenly become gifts. For example, a cheap hat and scarf bundled together with a cute bow suddenly becomes a "holiday gift set!" I'm not sure why that irritates the hell out of me, it just does. Maybe because it seems lazy. Like the gift giver just grabbed it instead of selecting a nice hat I'd actually like?

• Melissa
    Super April 2015
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Jess, what kills me are all of the throw blankets stores have on sale for Black Friday for like $5. And whenever you go Black Friday shopping (if you do), there's ALWAYS like 10 people around that giant basket of throw blankets! Who needs all these blankets?!?! Why are you buying them?!?!

• Jess
    Master May 2015
    Jess ·
    • Flag

Melissa, EXACTLY.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

I have been suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a sucker for black friday deals this year lol. I know this isn't completely related either, but things where I would normally be like "LOL I dont' need that" I've been like "OMG I MUST HAVE IT!"

• Melissa
    Super April 2015
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I thought I was doing pretty good not buying stuff... and then I bought a Kitchenaid mixer. Hey, in my defense I basically got it for $110 after Kohl's cash and a rebate!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics