FutureMrs.Girlinghouse
Devoted May 2010

No dad, who walks me down the aisle?

FutureMrs.Girlinghouse, on August 18, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Posted in Planning 25

My stepdad died a few years ago and i never met my real father. Im very close to my mom and have been thinking about her being a replacement for a dad walking me down the aisle (afterall, she has been the mom and dad for a while now..) Would that be odd? Should i walk alone? Does anyone know how...

My stepdad died a few years ago and i never met my real father. Im very close to my mom and have been thinking about her being a replacement for a dad walking me down the aisle (afterall, she has been the mom and dad for a while now..) Would that be odd? Should i walk alone? Does anyone know how this is usually handled. And also, since there wont be a father and daughter dance, would a mother daughter dance be ok or just awkward?

25 Comments

• C
    Just Said Yes May 2009
    Cowgirl Up ·
    • Flag

No that would be cool to have your mom walk you down the aisle because I have a sorta same thing goin on but my step dad is still alive and then i just found out that my real dad just died and me and my step dad dont really get along but hey u should let ur mom walk you down the aisle

• Sarah  Kobunski
    Sarah Kobunski ·
    • Flag

My father committed suicide when I was young and my mom raise 7 kids on her own for a long time before she met my step-father. So when my sister got married she didn't feel comfortable having her step-dad do the job. She called our grandpa that lived so far away to do it. Even though he didn't have much influence in our lives, it meant a lot because he was our dad's dad!

I had both my mom and step-dad walk me down the aisle.

I hope that you feel happy with your choice.

Sarah

desiredfocusweddingphotography.blogspot.com

• B
    Savvy July 2009
    Beya ·
    • Flag

I lost my father (may he rest in peace) a few years back. I have plenty of men in my family but those men did not raise me. My mom sacrificed and loved us and she is the only person that has the right to walk down the aisle with me. In fact, I'm honored. You too should be honored to walk down the aisle with the woman that gave you unconditional love all your life. It's ok to start new traditions.

• Tyra
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Tyra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This made me cry. Thank you for sharing this... now I know what to do...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics