Mrsjimenez馃懓
Dedicated November 2020

Need opinions on mother's dress choice

Mrsjimenez馃懓, on August 15, 2020 at 2:09 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 32
Saved
Hi ladies,

I just need some input on what everyone thinks about my mother's dress choice. She recently went shopping and found a dress but the only thing is is that it is black. I actually love the dress regardless of color but my sister and dad questioned why she would wear black to a wedding. From my stand point I disagree i dont feel like it's wrong for her to wear that color. I am having an intimate wedding and our ceremony is only going to last around 30 minutes then we are having dinner at a restaurant which is why I didnt see the big deal of her wearing a black dress. I am basically looking for other people's perspectives on whether or not it is inappropriate or if it's not a big deal.

32 Comments

Latest activity by Hanna, on August 16, 2020 at 12:35 PM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn
    • Flag
    It鈥檚 2020. It鈥檚 fine to wear black to a wedding.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle
    • Flag
    I think it is fine to wear black to a wedding.
    Perhaps what they鈥檙e thinking is a more lively color would liven things up? But black is always classy and timeless
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine
    • Flag
    If you don鈥檛 care then what鈥檚 the problem? I honestly don鈥檛 see a problem with black at a wedding regardless
  • Samantha
    Expert October 2021
    Samantha
    • Flag
    No one bats an eye when a man wears black to a wedding; plus both you and your Mother like it.
  • Laquita
    Expert July 2021
    Laquita
    • Flag

As long as you're okay with it & your mom feels/looks great in it then that's all that matters. I'd be open to someone in my family wearing black, it's just a color & she's not doing so to be disrespectful.

• Mrsjimenez馃懓
    Dedicated November 2020
    Mrsjimenez馃懓
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    And see that's exactly what I had told my mom. I just felt bad for her because she had texted me and was so excited she found a dress and I honestly really loved it as well but my sister and dad were making her feel like she picked a dress that was inappropriate.
  • Mrsjimenez馃懓
    Dedicated November 2020
    Mrsjimenez馃懓
    • Flag
    Thank you to everyone for all of the advice! 馃槉
  • Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a
    • Flag
    Plenty of people wear black to weddings including bridal parties. It鈥檚 perfectly ok!
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith
    • Flag
    It is fine. And if she is comfortable and happy with it she will be at her best. All these people who say no black at a wedding for superstition, never suggest changing every man in a black tux or suit over to mauve or turquoise, because it portends death. Why believe that foolishness for women?
  • Niki
    Devoted August 2020
    Niki
    • Flag
    I don鈥檛 have a problem with it at all. My mom was also looking at a black dress. She ended up with a dark navy dress but I don鈥檛 care what she picked. (As long as it鈥檚 not white.) Lol. I understand their concern but tell them this is COVID & anything goes at this point. Best of luck to you!
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online
    • Flag
    I went to a wedding last year where the mother of the bride wore a black sparkly dress. It looked beautiful! I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing black to a wedding.
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica
    • Flag
    It's totally fine. My friend's mom wore black for his wedding. It was a gorgeous dress and no one thought it was weird that she wore black.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If it doesn鈥檛 bother you then tell her to wear it. It鈥檚 your big day, if you and your fianc茅 doesn鈥檛 care about it then that鈥檚 all that really matters! Other people will ALWAYS have their own opinion 馃し馃従鈥嶁檧锔
  • A
    Just Said Yes January 2021
    Amaris
    • Flag
    It鈥檚 definitely up to you. If you fine with it, then that鈥檚 all that matters.
  • Mandi
    Beginner October 2020
    Mandi
    • Flag
    I think it's fine. Blacks all the rage these days & very chic. Plus she'll look & feel slimmer in black. Never can go wrong with black... lol
    To me white isn't very flattering.
  • Allie
    VIP November 2021
    Allie
    • Flag
    My fianc茅鈥檚 mom wore black to one of her daughter鈥檚 weddings. In fact, I think both mothers wore black to that wedding so I don鈥檛 see an issue with wearing black. Other guests may wear black so she may not 鈥渟tand out鈥 in terms of color, but that鈥檚 the chance anyone could take when it comes to dress color.
  • C
    Master January 2019
    Cassidy
    • Flag
    My mom, both grandmas, and both sister in laws all wore black. I wore black to my sister in laws wedding.
    It鈥檚 a nice classic neutral color. It looks good on most people. I don鈥檛 see an issue with it at all.
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret
    • Flag
    My FMIL wore black to 3 of her 4 boys weddings. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Leanne
    Super September 2020
    Leanne
    • Flag
    My mom was going to wear black but switched to navy. But I loved the black one. I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 weird at all. Very chic
  • Asia
    Devoted December 2021
    Asia
    • Flag
    I love black so I鈥檓 biased. With everything going on it wouldn鈥檛 matter to me. If you love the dress, do it, it鈥檚 your day. And I鈥檓 sure your mom is excited I would only question the black if mom wasn鈥檛 100% in on the union. Lol but I鈥檓 sure that鈥檚 not the case. CONGRATS BTW

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics