Kim
Master June 2014

Naked Cakes?

Kim, on May 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM Posted in Style and Décor

So let me start off by saying I HATE fondant icing and equally hate icing that is just way too sweet that it gives you a tummy ache. So I thought I have found a happy medium with the naked cake trend. It has icing in between the layers and it has that diy vintage look that I'm going for. Only problem is my mom and sister said they look stupid and none of the other guests will get it. Whats your take on it? I put a couple of pics of what i have imagined..

Share:

38 Comments

• Sprinkle87
    Dedicated September 2013
    Sprinkle87 ·

It's your wedding do what you want! Personally, I hate fondant too (doing buttercream cake) and my fiancé doesn't eat sweets so I understand

• Thomas McFall
    Thomas McFall ·

Yeah, it's different and different is good. I like the top one

• Kim
    Master June 2014
    Kim ·

Lol@Samantha Renee. Yeah I loved the top one, too! I was leaning more towards it anyhow. I just have to remember that I can't always be a people pleaser! I think it will photograph nicely and goes well with the theme. Thanks again, everyone!! I Just don't want to fall victim to wedding trends and then hate it later.

• Kim
    Master June 2014
    Kim ·

It is nice to get an outsiders input!

• Lirana
    VIP October 2013
    Lirana ·

My personal opinion is that unless they are done VERY well, they tend to look ugly and unfinished. I think your 2nd inspiration pic is done well. Most of the ones I've seen on Pinterest just look a mess.

• *Mrs.Snyder
    Super November 2013
    *Mrs.Snyder ·

I say go for it you know what you want and I think another bride Fireworks Bride was considering this

• Over the Top♥
    Master June 2013
    Over the Top♥ ·

I think Bee J was considering one too. I think they're very cute

• Forever (a) Young
    Expert September 2012
    Forever (a) Young ·

I'd see if you can get a baker who'll do Swiss meringue buttercream -- it's much less sweet than the usual kind.

• Mrs.V-Finally
    Super August 2013
    Mrs.V-Finally ·

I think they look like someone messed up and forgot to frost them.

The other thing you could do is whipped cream frosting. We might do that. I was going to go with cupcake tower or whatever. Then we decided on cake, had a tasting and weren't impressed and this is our favorite bakery.

The other day fbil brought over a Strawberry Shortcake and OMG it was the best cake I've ever had. So we're going to check that place out and hope they make wedding cakes. I mean it was sooooo good.

• Kim
    Master June 2014
    Kim ·

Thankd again for the advice! Either people are going to love it, or hate it. I guess I will just have to talk to the baker and get their ideas. I the swiss buttercream I heard, from my cousin, is really good! At least I have options!

• Married52113
    Super May 2013
    Married52113 ·

I love icing and it would make me sad, BUT it's YOUR wedding and you should love the cake you are eating. If they don't like it... F'm. (well not really they're family- just F their opinons)

• Sarah
    Expert April 2014
    Sarah ·

I say go for it. I'm having one! I'm doing one because it's more practical for us as it will be 85 degrees out and I don't need a cake melting all over :/

If you want it- do it!

• Lori
    Super June 2015
    Lori ·

I actually really like this idea for a vintage-y wedding!

• Nicole S. (formerly Nicole C)
    Master October 2013
    Nicole S. (formerly Nicole C) ·

This is the one I was thinking about doing!

Beware- though! Less frosting does not = less money.

Which seems silly to me...in fact, they told me it would be more expensive because the cake underneath needs to look precise. They can't hide the flaws with frosting.

• Sam
    Super September 2012
    Sam ·

I think that they look really good... and I agree, the frost is usually left behind on my plate...

• Morgan
    Expert September 2013
    Morgan ·

I'm doing a naked cake too. I LOVE this trend and it matches perfectly with my rustic country theme. Below is my inspiration. I think, aside from marrying FH, I am most excited about my cake! HAHA!

And that's funny about what your mom and sister said. Everyone I've shown it to (those involved in WP and planning) has loved it because it's so different. I say go for it!!

• Tatiana
    VIP September 2013
    Tatiana ·

I think it is adorable and would for great with a vintage theme! I think if you like it, go for it.

• Fireworks WIFE
    VIP July 2013
    Fireworks WIFE ·

I'm doing one!

• Andre'ya
    Master March 2014
    Andre'ya ·

Sounds delightful...the pictures look yummy too (I haven't eaten since yesterday on a purge and detox) ...

Its your wedding if you want to have naked cake, then do it up!!

• Kim
    Master June 2014
    Kim ·

I haven't looked in to pricing on them, but I would have assumed they're cheaper, not more! That's crazy. But anyhow, nice to see I'm not the only one diggn the naked cake yrend. Thanks again!

Comment on this discussion