Joy
Beginner March 2020

My first fitting and i wasn't expecting to see this. Holy hell!!! Can this be fixed??? Altered??? Talk me off the ledge Please!

Joy, on February 11, 2020 at 3:28 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 21
Saved

My first fitting and i wasn't expecting to see this.  Holy hell!!!  Can this be fixed???  Altered???  Talk me off the ledge Please! 1

Aside from being fat...what causes back fat to show up like this???

21 Comments

Latest activity by Bride123, on February 20, 2020 at 2:52 PM
  • Morgan
    Savvy April 2020
    Morgan ·
    • Flag
    Deep breath. It’s because of where the top of the back of the dress hits you.
  • Morgan
    Savvy April 2020
    Morgan ·
    • Flag
    Oops posted before I was done.
    I have the same issue. On my quest for solutions I found this.....
    https://www.rocktape.com/2016/09/13/alternative-uses-for-rocktape-every-bride-needs-to-know-this-trick/
  • A
    Super August 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

Don't worry! A good seamstress should be able to help. Especially with a strapless dress there is a fine balance between tight enough and too tight.

• Joy
    Beginner March 2020
    Joy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Do you think the dress is too tight maybe? I saw that tape too. Have you tried it?

• Taylor
    VIP October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Don't stress! It looks like it might just be a little snug on the top. You can get it taken out just a little. If you're wearing a bra, you might try it on without one too (I know that's not an option for many but my flat chest allows me to get away with it.)

• Joy
    Beginner March 2020
    Joy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You guys are too nice...really, I know it looks like hell.

I'm not wearing anything under it. It has pads and like boning? I think that's what it's called. Like what you'd find in a corset. It's all build in to the dress.

I'm hoping that the seamstress can take it out. God help me, I hope it helps.

Smiley sad

• Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    Depends on how the dress fits and where you carry weight more. We all have some problem areas. Mine is my lower belly. I would maybe do some back exercises too and it can be taken out but I have heard that's more challenging to do but can be done.
  • Morgan
    Savvy April 2020
    Morgan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I have not tried it yet.

So, I’m a seamstress and when I noticed my back fat in my dress the first thing I did was I removed the built in bra cups. My chest is far larger than they were anyhow so I knew I wouldn’t lose any support but would gain a little bit more space inside the dress. This did the trick for me. My dress is a corset back though and without seeing how the front fits you I can’t tell you if it would be an option for you.
  • Wendy
    Super August 2021
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    Honestly it might be the dress itself. I recently tried some on and left me self conscious about my back.. I scheduled another apt somewhere else and was so focused on having a closed back.. the lady gave me a couple with open back and wow.. my back was perfectly fine and it didn’t looked “fat”.. I ended up with a halfway open back..
  • Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    It looks like the top maybe a bit too tight. Have your seamstress let it out just a little. It will be just fine. Try not to stress. You’re going to look beautiful!
  • Joy
    Beginner March 2020
    Joy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is my dress from the front. It has a lace jacket that I was going to wear for the ceremony, but not the reception. It isn't the most comfortable for moving.

My first fitting and i wasn't expecting to see this.  Holy hell!!!  Can this be fixed???  Altered???  Talk me off the ledge Please! 2

3r5ayXAdX07HluQcqeELSpQzN1SzVUzQILORA8Yi

• Joy
    Beginner March 2020
    Joy ·
    • Flag

This is what it looked like when I initially tried it on. And this is the dress with the jacket.

My first fitting and i wasn't expecting to see this.  Holy hell!!!  Can this be fixed???  Altered???  Talk me off the ledge Please! 3

• Morgan
    Savvy April 2020
    Morgan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m not seeing the pic of the front w/o the jacket for some reason
  • Joy
    Beginner March 2020
    Joy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Try now... Smiley smile

My first fitting and i wasn't expecting to see this.  Holy hell!!!  Can this be fixed???  Altered???  Talk me off the ledge Please! 4

• Bride123
    Dedicated August 2020
    Bride123 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It seems like not enough room in the bust area. The seamstress can probably let it out an inch or so and you'll be fine. Anything can create bulges if it's too small, regardless of how thin you are.

• Joy
    Beginner March 2020
    Joy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks everyone!

Update...it was actually too big oddly enough. Too much room in the bust area and somehow tight in the back. I put it on again for the seamstress and didn't have the same back issue as I did in the store. I'm not sure why exactly.

I've had it altered and go in Friday. Nervous it will be too tight, but she's assured me that I can have it take out if I feel like it uncomfortable.

• Bride123
    Dedicated August 2020
    Bride123 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Looking at your most recent picture again, honestly, that sounds right -- too much fabric in front and not enough in the back. If she's worth her druthers, I'm sure it will all work out fine. When is the big day?

• Joy
    Beginner March 2020
    Joy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It's March 20th and I'm a wreck over this dress. It's so much poofier than the sample was. The seamstress said she's not able to reduce it to make it not soooo big.
  • Bride123
    Dedicated August 2020
    Bride123 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I see what you're saying! That's strange. Is there a level of crinoline underneath?

• Joy
    Beginner March 2020
    Joy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

There is. I asked the seamstress about why it looks so different and she said it's because the sample was too big of a size on me. She took out some in the train, but said she couldn't under the dress. I need this skirt to lay down more. I feel silly in it.

I know I'm not crazy but it doesn't look like the same dress. I may actually have the crinoline completely removed which is scary but

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics