Caitlin
Devoted May 2021

Mother of the brides dress..

Caitlin, on May 10, 2021 at 1:40 AM

Posted in Wedding Attire 37

My mom has had this dress for about 4 months now. Looks great i was happy with it.. color, style, fit.. everything. She went to a seamstress to add some extra fabric to cover up some insecurities..I'm like okay whatever. ( before this dress i bought her 10 dresses to try on then she ended up...
My mom has had this dress for about 4 months now. Looks great i was happy with it.. color, style, fit.. everything.

She went to a seamstress to add some extra fabric to cover up some insecurities..I'm like okay whatever. ( before this dress i bought her 10 dresses to try on then she ended up returning and blah blah). She had a dress she loves ag home but wore it to a different wedding before. She didnt want thst style again but i said do the same style just a summer color.
She tried this on today. I tried not to be rude but im like.. no i like it without. She said no i need something over my sides. Idk what the hell to do.. lm such a weiny to be like hate it.. Theres 10 days till the wedding.. im going to flip out. I want her to look her best but its not flattering.. help.. cfb_1474951.jpg
cfb_1474953.jpg

37 Comments

• Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yea, I mean I guess it's a "pick your battle" type of situation. In your shoes, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I also don't know if its a battle worth fighting. I would just say make sure she isn't hovering in ALL of your photos.

Also maybe give the photographer a heads up that you don't love the cape? If your photographer uses flash the shimmery fabric could catch the light and result in backflash and/or become a dominating aspect in photos, even if your mom is in the background.

• Caitlin
    Devoted May 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That sounds perfect. Thank you! Yeah it will be okay
  • Catherine
    Expert March 2023
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The fact that your husband said your mother will look stupid and you’re talking about your mom with your bridesmaids behind her back like schoolgirls is the real issue.
  • Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This exactly. I cannot imagine treating the woman who birthed me this way.

• Caitlin
    Devoted May 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I told her to her face that i didnt like it. Of course im going to tell my bridesmaids. Im venting as i am to everyone on here.. They will handle her if i cant.. she didnt like what i had to say so it is what it is. Shes gonna keep the dress. I accepted that
  • Caitlin
    Devoted May 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Im gonna tell her like it is. I said my opinion and she thinks other wise. Oh well im taking it as a loss. Im still gonna be upset but not my dress i guess 😕
  • Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah I think you're missing the point Catherine and I are making...

You should be less upset about the dress and more upset about the way that you treat your mother and how it reflects on your character.

• Caitlin
    Devoted May 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My character is good. I have come to terms that this day is about me and need to stick up for myself because its my day. I love her but she drives me nuts. You cant comprehend the point of said post. Thanks for the pyschologist advice but if i wanted a shrink i'd go see one.. ✌ We are a**holes what can i say.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    True, you are sounding awful the way you are treating your mother. She os acting like the adult here, picking out her clothes to suit herself, not you. Exactly as it should be. You need to get over this idea that everyone needs your approval. They don't.
  • Caitlin
    Devoted May 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I just want everyone to look their best thats all i ask. As said like 4 hours ago its done with. I let it go. I accepted it. My mom asked me for my opinion so i gave it to her.. she aint that pressed like yall are.
  • Kristin
    Devoted December 2021
    Kristin ·
    • Flag
    People won’t talk crap if you aren’t. Honestly, most people won’t even have a second thought about it unless brought to their attention.

As someone whose mother has expressed being nervous about finding a dress she is comfortable wearing, I would let it be. I wouldn’t even tell her I hated it if it was what made her comfortable because I know that’s a tough feeling. Don’t let her outfit ruin your day, there’s so much more to pay attention to than what makes your mother comfortable.
  • Caitlin
    Devoted May 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I 10000% understand. Im very insecure about photos so i get why she covered up. It just doesnt look how it used to and it just put me off. She will look great but i just dont want the first thing that people focus on is her new addition to the dress. Im just saying its alot of fabric ha. Its fine its fine. Its crunch time
  • Catherine
    Expert March 2023
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m pressed with your husband saying she’s going to look stupid. That’s incredibly rude. I don’t care what a grown woman wears. But I do care about how the man I marry acts around my mom. Yes, it’s your wedding day but you don’t get to act unkind for the month of and on your wedding day to the people who love you and are going to support you.
  • Vicky
    VIP January 2020
    Vicky ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

THIS THIS THIS. Stop talking to other people about her outfit.

• Vicky
    VIP January 2020
    Vicky ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

And also this.

• D
    Donnaly ·
    • Flag

What did she pick last? 10 days may not be enough because of how picky your mother is.

• Caitlin
    Devoted May 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Mother of the brides dress.. 1
    Something like this she has that in black..
    It is very pretty. Yeah im just taking it as a loss. If SHE brings it up tomorrow when i see her one more time then ill just be like hey if your comfortable cool. Ill let it be . If she wants to go shop we can

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics