We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Jessica
VIP September 2020

Mother of the bride dress

Jessica, on July 3, 2020 at 2:49 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 27
Saved Save
My mom was looking for a dress before the shut down, and now she’s stressing (even though I assure her she has plenty of time). She says “all mother of the bride dresses are either frumpy or look like [she’s] trying to pick up the best man.” I know she has some body/confidence issues, always has, but she’s starting to feel like it’s impossible to find something that fits our sunrise mountain wedding. I tried to suggest opening up her search to pantsuits or skirt/blouse combos, but she’s not keen on those suggestions. She’s also on a pretty tight budget, and I would totally buy her a dress if it was perfect, but I don’t have the money either and she would never let me.

Does anyone have suggestions for where to find affordable (preferably under $100) MOB dresses? Or pictures of what the MOB/MOG wore to your wedding (or plans to wear) for inspiration? I think she’s also having a hard time because so many of the models shes seeing are more like my age than hers and it’s hard to imagine what it will look like on her. I know she’s probably just going to have to try a bunch of things, but she really hates shopping for clothes, so hopefully I can make the process easier for her 🤞🏻.

27 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    Azazie has nice options Smiley smile they have a category for moms and there is custom sizing available. They have options under $100
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    I agree with Azazie. My mom looked on Amazon as they have Prime Wardrobe, but she ended up getting her from Macy's. My mother-in-law got hers from Nordstrom Rack which is their discounted store. To give you an idea of ages for our moms, my mom is in her forties and my mother-in-law is in her sixties. My mom is the one next to me and his mom is the one next to him.

Mother of the bride dress 1

• Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
    Jana Online ·
    • Flag
    Pick a dress she loves. It doesn't have to be labeled as a mother's dress if she doesn't like those styles.
  • Elmarose04
    Devoted July 2021
    Elmarose04 ·
    • Flag
    I agree! A dress that your mother loves but also feels comfortable in it ☺️ https://www.moncheribridals.com/montage
  • B
    Expert July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag

My mom and I just looked at the dress department at regular stores. I think she actually bought her dress at Belk. She *may* have paid $70 for it, but I don't think she did, because she bought two options.

• Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’ll have to send her there to look and check their return policy incase she tries it on and hates it. My dress was easier than this!
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for sharing! I’ll have her check Azazie and keep my fingers crossed she’ll find something she likes.
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Really it comes down to that she just hates dresses, she’s much more comfortable in jeans. That’s why I thought a pantsuit might be better, but she’s worried about pictures. I think we’re just going to have to find a day that works and go shopping, maybe I can recruit my cousin to help.
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! I hope that’s not too tall of an order, we may have to settle for “is okay with” and feels comfortable in.
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s what we intended to do before everything shut down, and now everyone’s schedules have been crazy. We’re just going to have to find some time to go try stuff.
  • Jill
    Jill ·
    • Flag
    I am the MOB (also for a morning wedding) and I ordered online and returned 12 dresses before I found one I liked. Macy's and Dilliard's were my go to stores and they had great/easy/free shipping returns. I did finally settle on one from Davids Bridal.
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
    Jana Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's common and normal to not like dresses. A nice dressy top and pants would look awesome. It doesn't have to be a women's suit to match the men. She should be comfortable wearing whatever she chooses.

• Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    My mom got her dress on amazon. My stepmom and fmil got them at dept stores idk which ones. Mother of the bride dress 2
    Mother of the bride dress 3

Mother of the bride dress 4

• Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m totally more comfortable in jeans and a tee too, so I get it. Maybe she thought I meant a women’s suit, when I was thinking a flowy chiffon pant suit because I thought she might be more comfortable. I definitely don’t want her to be uncomfortable the whole time.
  • L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

Try Macy’s and don’t look for MOB. Look for formal. Their less frumpy.

• Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for sharing! I’ve sent my mom several from amazon that I thought would look good on her, but nothing she’s liked so far 🤷‍♀️.
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
  • Elmarose04
    Devoted July 2021
    Elmarose04 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    😂 I’m sure it’ll work out well ! Your welcome ✨
  • C
    Just Said Yes March 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    I’m a MOB for next spring. For inspiration I looked on Ebay! There are several depending on size and very affordable.
  • Camilla
    Dedicated June 2021
    Camilla ·
    • Flag

Following.. Still searching for the right dress for my mom, step mom and MIL

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles