We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Tiffany
Dedicated October 2020

Mother of the bride dress

Tiffany, on June 1, 2020 at 11:10 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 31
Saved Save

I need help! My mom said she is having a hard time finding a dress for her to wear to my wedding this coming October. We live in AZ so it'll still be pretty warm by then. She's said that she wants knee length or slightly longer and sleeves dont really matter to her as long as she can wear a bra (lol). My bridesmaids will be in maroon with grey shoes and groomsmen in gray suits with maroon ties and black shoes.

What's the ettiquette here? Color, style, etc. I have no idea what I'm looking for. I haven't seen my mom in a dress since I was a kid. She's in her early 60s if that matters.

Pictures would be helpful!

31 Comments

• A
    Expert December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    There’s not really any etiquette about what MOB should wear in terms of color or style, just anything she feels comfortable in!
    Since she’s asking you for help I would either give her some websites where she can find dresses (David’s Bridal, Macy’s, Azazie, Nordstrom etc...) or if you feel like doing some research yourself you could find some dresses that she might like if you know her style well.
    I’m all for helping out if she’s lost but definitely not telling her there is just one style or color she needs to wear (which I don’t think you plan on doing anyway).
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2023
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    There's no etiquette involved. She can wear whatever she wants.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    There is any style or color requirements for the mother of the bride. She doesn't need to match or coordinate with the bridal party. She should wear whatever she is comfortable in. My mom wire a light purple dress and my mother-in-law wore dark purple. It just so happens that purple is both of their favorite colors which is why they both picked purple dresses. Purple wasn't one of my wedding colors. A great place to look for dresses is Amazon. They have Prime Wardrobe. Your mom can order dresses to be delivered to her house to try on free of charge. She just has to have an Amazon Prime account.

Mother of the bride dress 1

• Tiffany
    Dedicated October 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah i definitely don't plan on telling her what she has to wear. I really expected her to put something together but since she asked for my help I thought I'd see what the general rule of thumb is. I'll suggest the websites you mentioned and dig a little more if she still wants my help. Thank you!
  • Tiffany
    Dedicated October 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awesome I'll try that. Thanks
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    My mom got hers at Lord & Taylor. I agree with what other posters have said. I wanted to add 2 things. 1. Sometimes people are set on specifically searching for "mother of the bride" dresses. Any formal dress will be good and that type of a search provides a lot more variety. Categories specifically labeled "Mother of the bride" tend to have minimal options (everything seems to be very dowdy or oddly revealing in my search experience). 2. If your mom doesn't like dresses, since it sounds like she's not normally a dress person, there are tons of dressy pantsuits or jumpsuits that could also work and look great. As long as she matches the formality of the event, there are tons of options.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Mother of the bride dress 2
    My mom got her dress at Lord and Taylor! She didn’t like any of the typical “mother of the bride” dresses. She thought they were all either too old or too young for her (she’s in her late 50s). This was just perfect, especially because we had an afternoon wedding so it’s not like she needed a gown or anything.
  • Tiffany
    Dedicated October 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm finding the same thing. I told her she can wear whatever she wants and i trust her but she wanted to be sassy and say she'll wear a dress so i can put her in it for her funeral lol I'll try searching more general instead of just mother of the bride. Thankstenor.gif

• Elizabeth
    Rockstar June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I'd recommend Azazie because she can pay $10/dress and have some shipped to her house to try one! It's a lot like Prime Wardrobe.

• Catherine
    May 2021
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

I am the 'mother of the bride' and finding a dress was awful.

Like a few have said before me, don't look at MoB dresses. After going to many wedding dress shops and higher end stores I realized MoB dresses were just not my style. I found my dress at Macy's and it was listed as evening formal wear. (And yes being able to wear a bra under it is a good thing lol)

As for color, I just didn't want plum as that is the color of the bridal party.

• Kim
    Savvy October 2020
    Kim ·
    • Flag
    I actually bought my mom's dress on Amazon and she loves it.Mother of the bride dress 3

• Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    My mom, stepmom and mil got their dresses on amazon and at department stores. No need to over think it. Mother of the bride dress 4
    Mother of the bride dress 5

Mother of the bride dress 6

• Tiffany
    Dedicated October 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I love having a mother of the bride opinion! Thank you! I'll definitely be less specific in my search. I'm thinking it should be a different color than what the bridesmaids are wearing. I think my mom should stand out since if it wasn't for her none of this would be happening!
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

As my screen name implies, I was the MOB. I found two, very different, dresses that worked perfectly for me at Macy's. One was tea-length, with a fitted waist and a fuller skirt; champagne in color, and on a SERIOUS clearance sale -- I think I got it for $20 (originally in the $180-range). The other was long, pale pink (for sentimental reasons my 1st color choice). I think it was originally in the high-$200's (I think it was a Calvin Klein label), and I got it on sale, with coupons (gotta love Macy's!), for just over $100. Both were perfect for my needs; I ended up wearing the pink one and am saving the other for an occasion we attend as guests. I did find that different Macy's stores carry very different merchandise, so if possible, I'd shop their website or (when things reopen...) a bigger store in a high-end shopping center -- those locations had a MUCH better selection of evening wear than a smaller Macy's near us that is in the middle of an area with a lot of retired people.... Good luck!

• Margaret
    Super October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

I think you should let her pick a style she likes. I was getting ready to ask my mom what she would like to wear. She's super self-conscious (she has psoriasis) and also, she's been on a serious weight loss kick also in her 70s. Our wedding is a sunrise wedding in FL, and was thinking she'd probably like something lightweight and maybe a nice pant suit (she rarely wears skirts / dresses anymore)...

Help your mom out, you know her as well as she knows herself!

• Kari
    VIP May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

Honestly, I asked my mom what she would feel comfortable in then took a trip to go dress shopping with her. We found her a knee length Calvin Klein jersey dress with tulip sleeves for $40 at Burlington Coat Factory. It's not a typical MOB dress - more like a business dress you would image seeing a weather girl in or lawyer or real estate agent wearing, but it's very "her" and I feel like it looks age appropriate while still looking contemporary. My mom is 70 and her style tends to be stuck in the 70s and typical MOB dresses were just so matronly and made her look old and feel uncomfortable. My mom looks awesome in this dress and feels comfortable in it - it's not too flashy and is a dress she could easily rewear to any other fancy occassion/wedding without being out of place. Our minimony was this past weekend but when we get photos back in a few weeks I'll try to remember to share.

• Martha
    Devoted October 2022
    Martha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I love your mom's style and I think it was the perfect choice. You look beautiful.

• Renay
    Devoted April 2020
    Renay ·
    • Flag

My mom wanted something light pink (our colors were blush, plum and gold), sleeved, and long. I told both our moms to wear whatever they wanted. Color, style, anything. We ended up finding a sleeveless dress at JCPenney for $30 and a jacket on amazon for $15. She is 61.

My MIL had not decided what she wanted and when covid hit, had to just throw together an outfit from her closet. She will find a dress for our reception later.

Mother of the bride dress 7

• Tiffany
    Dedicated October 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

She's asking me to find something for her otherwise I wouldn't be getting involved and asking these questions. I tried asking long, short, floor length, knee length, color, sleeves, etc and she's just like "I don't know". Trust me, I don't want to be the one picking something for her but she's asked me to.

• Shelby
    Expert November 2020
    Shelby ·
    • Flag
    My mom is driving me crazy currently because she is being difficult about getting a dress.. 😂 I told her just to rewear the one she wore to my brothers wedding but she doesn’t want to..
    I hope yours finds the perfect dress for her 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles