Bambidancer
Savvy April 2021

Mother of Dresses

Bambidancer, on July 12, 2019 at 4:45 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 25
Saved Save
My future Mother in Law messaged me to ask what colour/style to wear for the wedding, which I appreciated greatly!!! But my wedding date is April 4th 2021 and I didn’t know what answer to give her exactly.

Has anyone else picked their “mother of” dresses or given them free reign but a colour etc.

25 Comments

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·

I think it's okay if you decide closer to the date! It's likely you're going to have a bunch of great ideas, so don't lock anything in quite yet - leave room for your creativity

• Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    I told mine plum or grey it's a more casual wedding so I told her long probably would look a bit much. She said she is too short for long gowns. She's still waiting until my mother figures out what she's wearing, and my mother is harder to shop for.
  • Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    I’m not giving my mom or FMIL guidelines. They’re adults who know what is and isn’t appropriate.
  • A
    Savvy October 2019
    Alexandria ·
    I told them to both wear black. I wanted them in our wedding colors (maroon, black, and gold), that way they coordinate for our photos.
  • Kelly
    Master October 2018
    Kelly Online ·
    I gave zero guidelines on parent attire.
  • Lauren
    Super September 2019
    Lauren ·

You could give her an idea of long or short and let her know what color the bridesmaids are wearing so she can steer clear of it or coordinate with it. Moms like to start looking early, lol.

• CourtneyBrittain
    Master August 2019
    CourtneyBrittain ·
    View Quoted Comment

Would you help them if they asked for help though? I think that's the difference, her FMIL asked her for assistance.

If you're unsure just yet, tell her it's not something you're sure of and probably won't be until at the very soonest sometime next year.

When my mom asked, I told her our colors and saw anything that's complimentary would work but overall my main goal was for her to feel comfortable and pretty. She ended up purchasing a beautiful navy blue dress that actually matches our colors (maroon and silver with hints of navy). I've seen weddings where the MIL or FMIL wears similar colors to the wedding party and I've also seen them where they don't. For example, at my sister's wedding, her MIL wore an orange floral dress. It was very beautiful, but definitely wasn't a part of the wedding colors of hunter green and white.

• C
    Dedicated October 2020
    Christina ·
    I told her whatever she wanted as long as it’s not gold because my mom is wearing gold. She showed me a dress and it was the almost exact same one as my moms just in a different color.
  • Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney ·

I told the moms wear whatever you like as long as it's not white/cream/ivory lol.

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I would, but that’s not what she asked. There are several other people who said they didn’t give any guidelines so I’m not sure why, as usual, you decided to reply to my comment and question my response.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    We told them be comfy and it didnt matter what they wore. My MIL talked about wearing a navy pant suit or a navy dress with sparkly jacket (she chose the latter), my mom wore a sparkly plum dress though she really wanted lavender dress but couldn't find any she liked.
  • Sherry
    VIP September 2019
    Sherry ·

I told all the parents that they could wear whatever they wanted. I was with my mom when she got her dress though. We were at the mall shopping for wedding jewelry and cut through a large store and saw one we both fell in love with so she got it. Otherwise, I probably would not have gone with her to go shopping specifically for a dress to wear at the wedding or even seen it until the wedding.

• Kellie
    Super October 2019
    Kellie ·

Our moms wanted to know what would look good in pictures and since we had a burgundy blush theme but all decor (chiavari chairs, cake stand, centerpieces, etc etc) is gold so we thought this shade of gold dresses would be fun!

my momMother of Dresses 1

• CourtneyBrittain
    Master August 2019
    CourtneyBrittain ·
    View Quoted Comment

I'm sorry I made you feel like I singled you at. At the point that I was typing my response, yours was the only one that had stated you weren't giving any advice.

• Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    Both my FMIL & my mom asked multiple times on what color dress they should wear - I said whatever they wanted... however after having this conversation no less than 3x per each - I gave them a color & they both happily went shopping.

• Bambidancer
    Savvy April 2021
    Bambidancer ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s beautiful!
  • Bambidancer
    Savvy April 2021
    Bambidancer ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I told her I was still going back and forth between two colours for my bridesmaid dresses and I’d let her know which I pick so she can look for something in the other colour.
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a good compromise. Both of our mothers are wearing wedding colors & they seem really happy to be coordinating with our wedding.
  • Diana
    Super December 2019
    Diana Online ·
    Our wedding colors are black/gold. My mom is wearing a navy dress. My FMIL is wearing gray.
  • B
    Dedicated November 2019
    Bethany ·
    I told my mom and FMIL I didn’t care about the colors but would like it to be formal and floor length. They asked me to go shopping with them and we all went together and picked them out and it ended up being really fun. My mom got a dark purple dress and my FMIL got a champagne and black dress, and a silver dress because she felt indecisive.

Comment on this discussion